HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Helishoen, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:35 PM
United States, IN, Newburgh
Joined Jul 2012
68 Posts
Discussion
Blogin'... from rotors to wings, Born again as a fixed wing flyer

A long winded intro into my recent introduction to Fixed Wings

Kids got me into heli's about 5 or 6 years ago, they have long since moved on to 3D heli flying, But now they are all moved out of the house, so its my turn at the hobby again. I was about to pick up a new bird and get back into flying when I ran across some skywalker and Zll FPV video's on you tube this summer. So I've spent the past couple of months teaching myself how to fly fixed wings.

Some Lessons I've learned... born again as a fixed wing flyer.

1) While learning to fly a heli. you start close and low...
...this surely spells re-build for an airplane.
2) Just because you can bench test the motor and prop easier on a plane doesn't mean that it won't bite you.
3) No matter how many helicopters you've (re) built, scratch building your trainer plane will humble you.
4) ARF or RTF planes let you learn how to fly and understand the control surfaces with relative ease. When you think your ready for a build... read number 3 again.
5) Money doesn't buy success, slow n steady preparation and attention to detail does ...(already learned this one with the first heli, I can't believe I forgot it a couple of times!!)
6) After you understand the first lesson, don't fly low and close, know how far away is too far.... This also spells re-build for an airplane
7) High wing airplanes tip stall... you just notice it more when your close to the ground trying to land
8) NEVER fly tail heavy or I CAN'T fly tail heavy
9) The more pictures your wife can take during your flying sessions, the more money and time you can spend on flying (heli or airplane)

It has been 4 months - 9 planes and one hospital visit. OOPS EDIT THIS... Make that 11 planes...!!

Planes in order of flying
1) Scratch built RCtestflight SLOWFLYR
2) Scratch built RCtestflight SLOWFLYR 2
3) Ebay pruchased USED Bixler (If only I knew then ... I would have never bought this plane)
4) RCGroup Used Skywalker (If only I knew then... this one would still be flying)
5) Skywalker kit from BEVRC (STILL IN BOX--- waiting to build)
6) BNF Super Cub --- Very easy... still flying today... and training others on this one
7) RTF Apprentice 15e - Great plane... Easy to learn... Flying "local" FPV
10) Champ - for the back yard
11) Mini super cub... again another back yard plane
8) AXON Scratch build (ExperimentalAir design) - Great plane, gained more understanding of CG
9) AXON 2 Scratch build (ExperimentalAir design) - My current long distance plane with Dragon Link
Helishoen is offline Find More Posts by Helishoen
Last edited by Helishoen; Nov 24, 2012 at 11:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts