HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:17 PM
Senior to who? Member
Annapolis, Maryland USA
Joined Feb 2001
2,450 Posts
Discussion
Giant F3A?

Is there such a thing as a giant F3a plane? I talking 2.5m or larger, plans or kit or ARF?
crossup is offline Find More Posts by crossup
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:31 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,062 Posts
Apparently Oxai were going to do some 50cc versions of their f3a models but I don't recall one ever being built.

I could be wrong, it's not like their workshop is next door for me to check on.
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:35 AM
Senior to who? Member
Annapolis, Maryland USA
Joined Feb 2001
2,450 Posts
before anyone feels the need to educate me, I AM aware that such a plane would NOT be legal to compete.I'm just thinking as a learning tool, it would be easier to see, smoother and use stuff I already have on hand for GS planes
crossup is offline Find More Posts by crossup
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:43 PM
Team JetiUSA
Santa Clara, CA
Joined Nov 2008
992 Posts
Seems like it wouldn't be a useful learning tool precisely because it is too large and therefore "smoother" and "easier to see" -- it would probably get you into the habit of flying too far out and get you into other bad habits. Go with a 2M plane. If cost is an issue get something like the Vanquish from Extreme Flight, with a $200 motor it's easily less than 2K all up including airframe shipping.
pvogel is online now Find More Posts by pvogel
Old Apr 28, 2013, 07:49 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2007
188 Posts
World Models 50cc Patternship

World Models makes a 50cc size patternship. I cant remember the name right now, but I think it may be called the commander ???

They had it on display at the toledo show, and it is nothing but AWESOME !!
Aero12 is offline Find More Posts by Aero12
Old Apr 29, 2013, 09:59 AM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,096 Posts
Hi,

Here ia a link to the 50 cc Commander:
http://www.theworldmodels.com/para/i...ion/html/A331/

Oxai Zeque 55GT:
http://www.oxai-rc.com/main/detail.aspx?ID=72
http://www.oxai-rc.com/main/Detail.aspx?ID=72&DID=414

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
Old Aug 29, 2013, 08:57 AM
Joined Jun 2005
103 Posts
I am an IMAC pilot, but I believe that F3A is the heart and foundation of precision flying. Since I live in Jamaica I have always found pattern flying prohibitively expensive. There is no point at all in flying glow-power above a 60 size engine here, and the idea of paying huge $$$ for a relatively small airframe is something I am still struggling with (compare an IMAC airframe of the same price). To achieve the amount of practice necessary I simply have to use gasoline or electric. Electric pattern planes are just as expensive, and we have not yet seen a really successful gasoline set-up to meet weight and noise limits. I really wish to have a pattern plane at some point because I love the absoluteness of precision, but not on my budget.
I am a fanatic about trimming to perfection, and pattern planes are as perfect as we can manage. IMAC designs are constrained by a 10% scale deviation rule, which prevents the planes from being truly neutral by design. I have been planning a scratch-built 50-85cc "pattern shape" airframe, just to trim and fly a truly neutral plane that has much more powerful knife-edge performance that a scale plane.
The size of a 50cc plane is really not that much bigger than a 2m plane (they are both still small in the eyes of an IMAC man). Airspace control and adjusting distance for aircraft size is never a problem for a competent pilot. So a 50cc pattern plane would be an excellent intro and practice tool. I'm just not sure if there will be a market for this unless there are rule changes.
A big part of F3A is operating within the constraints of size, weight and sound limits. If you want to be legal it is what it is.
northwest is offline Find More Posts by northwest
Old Sep 06, 2013, 03:35 PM
United States, NY, Ossining
Joined Aug 2003
115 Posts
Search RCU for some post by RCmaster. He has several successful gas set up that meet the weight and noise rules. I believe the latest is a sticky in the pattern forum.
Anthonyr is offline Find More Posts by Anthonyr
Old Sep 18, 2013, 09:13 AM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,161 Posts
I think I am going to buy one of these and make it a winter build project.
I have several other planes from WorldModels and Wingsmaker and have been happy with their build quality and USA support.

The only question I am struggling with is gas or electric conversion. I know my wife would prefer electric
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:50 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,062 Posts
Why is that?
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Sep 19, 2013, 07:26 AM
ltc
AMA 97737
Joined Mar 2010
2,161 Posts
No fuel smell in the house, no fuel/oil dripping in the cars.
I've never had a gas/oil 2 stroke engine RC plane, just2 and 4 cycle glow fuel dating back to the 70's, but my son's racing karts (I was his mechanic) were all 2 stroke gas/oil, so she's very familiar with those.

She has gotten spoiled by all my recent electric airplanes.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 04:27 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
Joined Mar 2010
2,161 Posts
Commander 50cc arrived this week, 3 boxes, double boxed.
It s an intimidating plane in the box. The cowl is massive, let alone the fuselage.
Very odd feeling when compared to handling a 2m plane. Definitely going to need to reorganize the shop a bit, never having built a plane this arge.

Hacker Q80-7M also arrived, servos and ESC (likely Mezon 135 for built in Jeti telemetry) are next purchases.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 01:37 PM
United States, MA, Medfield
Joined Jul 2010
830 Posts
"Giant and "F3A" together, wouldn't that be mutually exclusive?

"Giant" and "Pattern" could go together.

But not but "F3A" as it implies <= 2meters.

> 2meter -> ~F3A
learn2turn is offline Find More Posts by learn2turn
Old Oct 14, 2013, 02:13 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
Joined Mar 2010
2,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by learn2turn View Post
"Giant and "F3A" together, wouldn't that be mutually exclusive?

"Giant" and "Pattern" could go together.

But not but "F3A" as it implies <= 2meters.

> 2meter -> ~F3A
Sort of like "Jumbo Shrimp"
Old Oct 17, 2013, 08:54 AM
United States, MA, Medfield
Joined Jul 2010
830 Posts
Hey itc, where do you fly?

I see you are in Mendon, four towns west of Medfield where I live. Strange how the going east on 16/109 all the towns are M-towns -- Mendon->Milford->Medway->Millis->Medfield.

I like the RC shop in Mendon but it's almost an hour drive so I rarely shop there.

I fly in Medfield and Wrentham.
learn2turn is offline Find More Posts by learn2turn