SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:44 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,061 Posts
Build Log
Herr Cub PA-18 Conversion.

Hi all,
Just letting everyone know that I will be building a herr cub and making the mods for it to be a super cub. I have a kit with some extras on the way from R4vdriver and a thunder tiger .07 on the way from Peter H., then of course the box of other stuff from tower. I am going to use a Hz super cub cowl, I thought about trying my hand at making my own, but I will try the Hz one first. I will be getting decals from callie graphics and it will look like the pic. The big mods I will be making are of course alerons, flaps, and the rudder. I will try to remember to post pics as much as possible. If there is anyone who has better ideas, tell me. I don't want someone telling me that it won't work, because I already have a herr cub that has alerons that I bought used, so I know it will work. I am looking forward to building this, because I have been wanting a PA-18 and I have been wanting to kit bash a J-3 into a super cub for a long time now. Stay tuned for some building action.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Last edited by Kyler1; Nov 26, 2012 at 04:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:37 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,061 Posts
Start

Well I got started on the cub last night, and after a few hours I have managed to get a good part of the fuse done and most of the wing. I will need to go to the LHS to get some balsa wood for making the alerons and flaps, so that will be a holdup. My engine looks great, like I said before, it is a TT .07, I hope this will be enough power. There was some other threads about that not being enough engine, but I think it will be enough for putting around the sky. I have never had a flap plane before, so I am excited to play with them and see how they work. If there are any comments or something that you think you would work better, please let me know. Man I hate ca covered fingers.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:58 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,061 Posts
Engine is mounted

I got a quite a bit more done on the fuse. I either needed to get a extention or try to put it through the fuse. I put it through the fuse because I think it will look better and it was cheaper. If I wouldn't have done this the motor would have been mounted in the middle of the firewall away from the suggested area. If it doesn't work I will just get an extension and redo it. The fuel line will be cut so it only sticks out a half inch or so.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:44 AM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,061 Posts
Do you guys think 9 gram servos will be good enough?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:23 PM
Rocky Mountain High and Higher
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
I love the Herr planes of course I know you have seen my posts. That TT07 and 9g servos will work great. The Herr Cloud Ranger I have has 9g servos for RUD/ELV/AIL/THR and no problems other than the fear of failure since they are HK cheap metal gear models. I had the .06 diesel in it and had to change out to an OS .10. This was due to the altitude I live at not the model.
I have in the past had the Herr Cubs with an speed 400 geared electric, a cox .049, and the Norvel .061 and they all flew great scale like.
The PA-18 version should be awesome, can't wait to see more pics, especially the finnished plane.
PROACE is offline Find More Posts by PROACE
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:28 PM
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
BTW it take a little time to break in those TT07. I ran mine rich where it was 4 stroking for about 4oz before I started the leaning process. Starts and runs great. Beware of the TT07 haters out there
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:36 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,061 Posts
Thanks PROACE! My servos are going to be cheapies too, but I think they will be okay. I got that TT NIB for $40 shipped on the classifides here, I was pretty proud of myself after that. It is my first new engine. I will be going to the LHS tonight to buy some balsa wood for the rudder and the aleron-flaps.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:03 PM
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
Too late I am sure you already made the trip to the LHS already. Anyway if you dont already have a selection of props fly with start with the faster smaller ones first. 6x3 until you can figure out the plane stall speed. Once you figure that out then you can move to the 7x3 and start running a lower throttle to get the realistic flight.
That is what I loved about the model was the realistic looks and action in flight. Man your gonna make me want to go out and get another!
If there were only a model four stroke four one.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:01 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,061 Posts
I ordered a couple of 6x4 with my tower order, I think that will be alright. I should have gotten a couple more, they were like 3.50 for a two pack. I have one on my J3 Herr Cub with the .074. Well anyways I got my balsa sheet and aleron strip. I got the wing almost done, as soon as I get the servos I can cover it. Not sure how I am going to do the wing servos yet. I would like to have them mounted inside the wing, but I might endup just sheeting where I want them to go with renforcements in the back and covering it. I don't like the idea of them sticking out of the wing, but I am by no means a pro scale builder yet, I guess that doesn't mean I shouldn't try. Maybe you will want to do a Pa conversion with one like I did. Hopefully by then I will be able to work you through the little bugs of the mods. Well tomorow I am going to try to finish up the wing and start on that pesky rudder, I guess I will just have to use the stinking geometry I have been doing in school this year.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:09 PM
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
Wait until you get to the trig and calculus plus a little physics. I always wished I knew the stuff before I ever picked up a model. Well I guess it was better than not doing it at all, as much as the math and physics drove me nuts it sure has made it worth my while just in model design and building.
Do you have all your servos yet?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:17 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,061 Posts
No I haven't ordered them yet I am getting them from ebay actualy and they are comming form china. I have had good luck buying stuff like this straight from china, just takes 2-3 weeks to get here. I have almost everything else though. What size of rx battery would be good?
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:37 AM
Theuns
Joined Sep 2011
194 Posts
Nice looking PA -18 you are building there. I can't see, but do your plans show the elevators to have the aero counter weights on the outboard part leading edge? The J-3 and PA12'14 did not come out with them, but PA-18 do have them.

Theuns
T. van Vuuren is online now Find More Posts by T. van Vuuren
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:10 AM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,061 Posts
Sorry I haven't been posting pics lately, I have been without internet for a while. I have been taking pics of my progress and I will post them later. I have gotten the fuse and tail feathers covered, and I am waiting on the servos to get them in thi wing before I cover that. I am not sure what you mean by areo counter weights.