Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlik View Post
I've got the 2801 - I think the original version was released in like 2009 - and it went through several revisions ending with version E. Mine is about 2 yrs old and no longer supported - no more receivers. And no, I'm not gonna pay $20 for a devo adapter that reduces the output from 100mw to 10 mw (walkeras solution).

I'm sorry, but I just don't understand why you'd want to buy a walkera radio and convert it to be compatable with one of the most popular brands out there? It's not like walkera makes a better transmitter tham spectrum.
I'm trying to decide if I want to replace mine with a spectrum like everybody else or add to my collection of futaba.
I've been looking at the Hitec Aurora 9 lately myself. It's FHSS, has a touch screen (monochrome not color but it's visible in daylight), costs about the same as a Devo 8 (there's an authorized Hitec dealer on ebay that sells them for around $250) and there are inexpensive third party RX's for it (8ch FrSky receivers running Hitec compatible firmware). And of course it has a real warranty and customer support.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:36 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I would consider using cheap Orange receivers a risky decision to take as well, especially with larger models.
The Orange FASST (and the FrSky FASST as well) is actually a FrSky V8FR-II running FASST compatible software. Futaba and FrSky use the same off the shelf RF chip in their receivers apparently.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:15 AM
United States, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Nov 2009
611 Posts
i think the devo is alot easier to navigate. the spektrum i had to shut it off hold 2 buttons down to get in to my model memory. It was a pain. I only bought it due to i fly UMX planes and needed one. On the plus side to the spektrum it was easier to ask any one at the club how to set something up due to they all had spektrum. But once you know what your looking for its easy to find. Can be upgraded. It will hold 100 models with the upgraded firmware. Im hoping soon people will do file sharing of set ups so we can download each other set ups.
Hot_Wheels is online now Find More Posts by Hot_Wheels
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:35 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Wheels View Post
i think the devo is alot easier to navigate. the spektrum i had to shut it off hold 2 buttons down to get in to my model memory. It was a pain.
That's a safety feature to prevent you from changing models while you're flying. Is it really that hard to hold down two buttons?
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:12 AM
Joined Nov 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
That's a safety feature to prevent you from changing models while you're flying. Is it really that hard to hold down two buttons?
don't think being a pain makes it hard. He didn't like it, no need to be patronizing about his opinion.
On the flip side is it really that hard to do some programming logi while the system is on?. i.e. Don't allow model change unless throttle is at 0% and you hit the same 2 buttons simultaneously. Does the same thing and you don't have to power the transmitter off and on again.
quikster is offline Find More Posts by quikster
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:33 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quikster View Post
don't think being a pain makes it hard. He didn't like it, no need to be patronizing about his opinion.
On the flip side is it really that hard to do some programming logi while the system is on?. i.e. Don't allow model change unless throttle is at 0% and you hit the same 2 buttons simultaneously. Does the same thing and you don't have to power the transmitter off and on again.
From a user interface perspective though, it's three actions either way. You hold down two buttons while turning it on, or you hold down two buttons and put the throttle to zero - same amount of stuff to do.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:56 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2012
92 Posts
Quote:
Using an illegal conversion module to get a product to do something it isn't supposed to do sounds like a good option to you?
How is a conversion to another known and FCC approved system (Spektrum) illegal? It's not any more illegal than switching a module based Futaba TX to Spektrum.
sgoodmeyer is offline Find More Posts by sgoodmeyer
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:22 PM
Smoke em ' If ya got em
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoodmeyer View Post
How is a conversion to another known and FCC approved system (Spektrum) illegal? It's not any more illegal than switching a module based Futaba TX to Spektrum.
Oh Here we go again. pm sent jazz.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:32 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2012
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post
Between this and your unsolicited and incorrect PMs, what's your problem man? Guess I need to figure out if they have the ignore thingy here like most other forums have.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:34 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2012
92 Posts
Found it. That was easy. See ya.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:39 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post
I already answered that question. I'm not here to cater to people who can't read.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:43 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2012
92 Posts
Quote:
I already answered that question. I'm not here to cater to people who can't read.
I hadn't read the rest of the thread yet when I quoted you and your post was only the second one. But, yeah. I'm sure the FCC will be coming to burn his house down any day now for converting a TX to use an already recognized and approved radio transmission protocol.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:58 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quikster View Post
So you've used two of the ones I'm interested in. In your opinion the devo is better made? Or it's similar but you like the added functionality of devo?
Thanks
I have used many Spek/JR and walkera radios over the years including the 2801, 2801E, 2801pro, devo 8, devo 8s, devo12s, dx6, dx6i, dx7,dx8, x9303, x9503 and the dx18.

IMHO spektrum and JR build better tx's though Walkera has some bells and whistles with the touch screen nav. I think the overall build quality is much better on Spek tx's. The devo12 was nice but it should have felt as good as my 9503 and it didnt. It felt cheaper and the gimbals were quite a bit of a downgrade to a nice JR. The touchscreen while it is nice and easy to navigate it is hard to see outside. They really need to upgrade to anti-glare out of the box.

I have had more issues with Walkera tx's than spek/jr. Luckily since the devos they haven’t left you in the dust when an upgrade comes like the 2801 series. Course you still have to pay for a conversion to go from standard to "s". I also do not feel warm and fuzzy when it comes to buying a Walkera tx and possibly having issues down the line with no real warranty support.

The thing I dislike most about Walkera is the resell value of anything they make is horrible because they always come out with many revisions of a particular product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoodmeyer View Post
It is a conversion of the actual firmware which effects/changes transmissions...

When you buy a module in the US is has already been pre-approved for use for a particular protocol so you cant really compare a module to a firmware that changes transmissions.

If people want a cheaper spek compatable tx the better bet is getting a module based radio or a radio that is made to be compatable from the factory
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:02 PM
Smoke em ' If ya got em
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,388 Posts
It's the never ending same ol same ol with this guy. rcgroups Bans him one day and he is back the next with 40 posts to catch up in his lost 24hr period. He sighned up yesterday with his shill acct. I pulled his covers in that im hip to his new name and move on from trolling me and my e-mail addresse. ( all for not of course)
Even yesterday he told me i was on his ignore list. So much for that eh.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:08 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2012
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
It is a conversion of the actual firmware which effects/changes transmissions...
Shouldn't matter. It's still transmitting in a pre-approved protocol and band. But, as previously said, the FCC probably isn't going to be coming after him. Even if they did want to investigate his signal all they are going to sniff is Spektrum, which is legal. I wonder if they could even pick it out from all the other Spektrum TXs if he was at a busy flying field. But, that was an interesting point someone else brought up about civil matters (i.e. being sued - not criminal) if they had an accident and it was discovered he was using a hacked TX.