HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:03 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRobey42 View Post
I was hoping that someone from HK would confirm the fact that, once a connection is made, the model cannot connect to another radio. To me that means its safe to use them.
If two transmitters have the same ID, the receiver will listen to both of them.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:14 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
If two transmitters have the same ID, the receiver will listen to both of them.

Andy

And the ods are?
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:20 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,328 Posts
Impossible to determine due to HK's silence, but based on the ID's that have published online, extremely high and therefore not worth the risk IMHO.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:12 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,113 Posts
Quote:
Impossible to determine due to HK's silence, but based on the ID's that have published online, extremely high and therefore not worth the risk IMHO.

Andy
"Impossible to determine" or "extremely high"?
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:43 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,328 Posts
Impossible to provide a number (I'm an engineer, remember) due to their lack of forthrightness. The range of IDs published on the web (not facts from their engineers, just user-published data which may not be as reliable) indicate a very small set of IDs and therefore an extremely high probability of collision and therefore high risk.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:57 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Impossible to provide a number (I'm an engineer, remember) due to their lack of forthrightness. The range of IDs published on the web (not facts from their engineers, just user-published data which may not be as reliable) indicate a very small set of IDs and therefore an extremely high probability of collision and therefore high risk.

Andy
It would seem easy enouph to run a ticket system incremented by 1 during manufacture and avoid all collisions. At least inside their domain. Is this somehow more difficult to do during mfg then using a small generated list? Confused as to why they seem to have created their own problem.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:06 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,328 Posts
So are we, but that's OK with me - it's THEIR problem!

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:35 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,821 Posts
Quote:
So are we, but that's OK with me - it's THEIR problem!

Andy
The worrisome thing is that it could be "our" (users) problem if people are running around in public with these.

Still waiting to hear from somebody doing exhaustive tests in DSMX.
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:55 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,328 Posts
DSMX would imply genuine receivers being used with imitation transmitter module. How much sense does that make?!?!

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:56 PM
Who let the dogs out?
Pontefract, Yorkshire, UK
Joined Jul 2007
1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_g View Post
I've just been on the OrangeRx website and posted a query on their support page ... Not sure if they'll respond, we'll see.
Nope (as expected) they deleted it without comment.
Cheers
Phil
phil_g is offline Find More Posts by phil_g
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:50 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,269 Posts
Quote:

Andy
Andy, do you have a web page reference for the ID range?

I'm similarly confused as wsj, as to why they would repeat IDs inside their domain.

Is there a "manufacturer domain", or is there just a single range of IDs?
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:33 AM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2011
601 Posts
It sounds like Orange has a weakness in their DSMX implementation. I expect they're working on addressing it but frankly, I would be just as happy with the Orange Tx module if it didn't try to do DSMX at all. I suspect most of the purchasers aren't even using DSMX.

For a small number of users that care about DSMX, this might be an issue to consider. However for people like me who do not fly simultaneously with many dozens or hundreds of other flyers, there may not be a justification for DSMX. I'm not flying $500 models and I'm not flying extreme distances (though DSMX doesn't claim to increase max distance anyway). So far, the Orange Tx module has worked flawlessly in my 9x which lets me easily remap channels to match BnF planes. In non-BnF planes I'm using DSM2-compatible receivers ($9 delivered) and have no lost packets even when flying to the edge of visual range in any orientation including intentionally blocking the Tx with my body, pointing the antenna directly at the plane etc. During excessively harsh range testing I have yet to be able to force the loss of even one packet (much less even momentary loss of control).

Spektrum/Horizon makes great gear, however for my particular applications DSMX exceeds my requirements. Not to worry though, that just frees up a bit more cash for Horizon to snag with some planes and other gear. In fact, that was the primary reason for getting the Orange module, so I could buy Horizon BnF planes. Otherwise I would have just stuck with my FlySky module and kept buying more FlySky Rxs.
Markran is offline Find More Posts by Markran
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:03 AM
Deutschland, Hessen, LA
Joined Jan 2009
1,212 Posts
The orange weakness in there DSMX implementation is that the not know how DSMX is implemented. The Orange can copy chips but the don't know the logic behind. The got cloned only orginal Spektrum DSMX modules.
Therefore only a limited ID space for the orange DSMX avaible.
Kambalunga is offline Find More Posts by Kambalunga
Last edited by Kambalunga; Feb 24, 2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:10 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
4,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambalunga View Post
The orange weakness in there DSMX implementation is that the not know how DSMX is implemented. The Chinamen can copy chips but he don't know the logic behind. The got cloned only orginal Spektrum DSMX modules.
Therefore only a limited ID space for the orange DSMX avaible.
Probably true when the module was originally released, but there is nothing to stop them addressing the issue retrospectively with a v2; DSMX was cracked and the code placed in the public domain some months ago. From earlier in the thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_S View Post
The DSMX hopping sequence looks like it has cracked, based on some posts from a Russian fellow in the RCGroups DIY Electronics forum. The same fellow also made a comment suggesting the Orange tx only has ten hard-coded GUID's

=======
Edit: added link to post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=120
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Feb 24, 2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:33 AM
Deutschland, Hessen, LA
Joined Jan 2009
1,212 Posts
But the problem with this russian code it work only within a range of 5m at full power.
Kambalunga is offline Find More Posts by Kambalunga
Last edited by Kambalunga; Feb 24, 2013 at 11:44 AM.