HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:13 AM
mdv
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2009
520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
Sounds like a good argument for an outright ban on the use of Orange modules at flying fields.

There really is no good reason to buy one of these.
It is no less expensive than a genuine Spektrum module once you factor in the receiver you get with the latter.
It has no FCC approval, so its not legal to use anyway.
And on top of that, it may or may not shoot someone else down.

Great product. Kudos to the guys at Orange/HK.
Aren't the Spektrum modules discontinued so Orange modules are the only option?
mdv is offline Find More Posts by mdv
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:14 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jan 2010
121 Posts
You are correct but you can still pick one up on eBay which is what I intend to do.
MikeRobey42 is offline Find More Posts by MikeRobey42
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:47 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,088 Posts
In stock at Horizon for $110

http://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/w...pe=productgrid

That includes free shipping and an $80 receiver, so the module alone is only $30.

They were gone for a long time, but they became available again a few months back.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:14 AM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
They were gone for a long time, but they became available again a few months back.
Best price in the UK for the Spektrum module is around 85, but the biggest difference is that the so-called $80 receiver actually only sells on for 25 - 30 judging by completed listings on Ebay.

So although the sums of money aren't great, the module will still end up costing twice as much as the Orange one. If the Spektrum module had been remotely comparable I wouldn't have looked at the Orange on. As it is I think the chances of conflict with my use are pretty much zero, and I will probable convert to an internal antenna which will be neater than the Spektrum on in any case.
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:27 AM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Jun 2012
437 Posts
I'm a computer engineer and i've been working al ot with connection protocols.
I don't know how DSM2 and DSMX protocols work on binding but i'd assume that they are like point to point communication where both TX and RX are in binding mode at the same time. If your RX in already binded it won't accept another connection and a TX in the same range will not be able to bind with that ID.

This is just how it works in my mind.
ercapoccia is offline Find More Posts by ercapoccia
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:36 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ercapoccia View Post
I don't know how DSM2 and DSMX protocols work on binding but i'd assume that they are like point to point communication where both TX and RX are in binding mode at the same time. If your RX in already binded it won't accept another connection and a TX in the same range will not be able to bind with that ID.

I haven't followed all of this but wouldn't both radios have to come up with the same ID? Isn't that next to impossible?
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:39 AM
Who let the dogs out?
Pontefract, Yorkshire, UK
Joined Jul 2007
1,126 Posts
Pats reasoning is good in the US but doesnt work in the UK unfortunately, where the combo costs much more and the supplied rx seems to be worth much less on the 2nd-hand market.
I've just been on the OrangeRx website and posted a query on their support page:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil to ORx
Please could you clarify the situation with the OrangeRx DSM2/DSMX modules, specifically the uniqueness of the ID or global identifier. The ability to reset it and the explanation as to why this might be necessary has caused a lot of flyers extreme concern, to the point that it has been suggested that these be banned at club flying sites. The concern is that it appears from the description that the OrangeRx module could share a common ID with a genuine Spektrum set.
It may be that the perceived problem is a misunderstanding, as a result of poor translation.
Please could you post a technically detailed explanation of the ID allocations and confirm whether or not there is the possibility of a clash with other systems. This concern must be badly affecting sales of the OrangeRx modules so a prompt response would benefit yourselves as well as model flyers.
Not sure if they'll respond, we'll see.
Cheers
Phil
phil_g is online now Find More Posts by phil_g
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:31 PM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in ILM View Post
I haven't followed all of this but wouldn't both radios have to come up with the same ID? Isn't that next to impossible?
Yes, pretty much, actually 1 in 4 billion. Imagine two people buying lottery tickets, picking the exact same numbers, and then showing up to the same field.

It could actually be less, or even 0. Suppose (hypothetically) that Spektrum started out with the simple sequence {1,2,3,...}. Suppose also that HK looked at the IDs on some Spektrum units, and noticed that they were all down in the 10,000 or 100,000 range. If they then started their IDs at 2 billion, there wont be a potential collision until Spektrum makes their 2 billionth unit.
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:03 PM
glen innes australia
Joined May 2001
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in ILM View Post
If the modules had a 'globally UNIQUE id' then that would be the case. If they did they would not need a button to change ID.
How many ID change buttons do you find on other transmitters?
regards
Bob Comerford
robertc is offline Find More Posts by robertc
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:51 PM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar View Post
Yes, pretty much, actually 1 in 4 billion. Imagine two people buying lottery tickets, picking the exact same numbers, and then showing up to the same field.

It could actually be less, or even 0. Suppose (hypothetically) that Spektrum started out with the simple sequence {1,2,3,...}. Suppose also that HK looked at the IDs on some Spektrum units, and noticed that they were all down in the 10,000 or 100,000 range. If they then started their IDs at 2 billion, there wont be a potential collision until Spektrum makes their 2 billionth unit.
And now that I think about it... most likely Spektrum has sampled some of the ORX units to verify the numeric range ORX is using, and will intentionally avoid that range.
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:40 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jan 2010
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ercapoccia View Post

So what you are saying is that if person A was already up and flying and person B came along and his module had the same id then person A would be fine and person B would have to change his id and rebind his model?

If that is the case then that is good news because nobody gets shot down and the orange module guy just has to changeid's (which is annoying but not going to do any harm either).

So I guess now the question is whether or not that is the case.
Last edited by MikeRobey42; Feb 22, 2013 at 01:22 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:31 PM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_g View Post
... I've just been on the OrangeRx website and posted a query on their support page:

Not sure if they'll respond, we'll see.
Cheers
Phil
I asked three times on Hobby King's web site and each time they closed the support request unanswered.
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:16 PM
Who let the dogs out?
Joined Jul 2007
1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
I asked three times on Hobby King's web site and each time they closed the support request unanswered.
Me too, same thing happened - also asked Scotty the UK rep personally (he's an old acquaintance through motorbike racing) but no joy - hence asking OrangeRx directly.
Cheers
Phil
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:38 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jan 2010
121 Posts
I think that yes it is unlikely for two people to randomly come up with the same id's BUT people win the lottery all the time so it is possible and the consequence could be someone losing a model.

Given scott from HK isn't talking and neither are HK then I conclude that either they know it is a problem or they don't know and cannot determine if it is a risk.

I was hoping that someone from HK would confirm the fact that, once a connection is made, the model cannot connect to another radio. To me that means its safe to use them.

Personally I am not going to use mine (or sell it or give it away) until I know for sure its safe. If it was just my model at risk then that would be different. I take the risk and I accept the consequences but I would be heart sick if I shot someone else's plane down.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 05:22 AM
Who let the dogs out?
Joined Jul 2007
1,126 Posts
I'm happily using mine as I dont have any DSMX receivers.