HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:15 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makdaddy View Post
How do you use the bind button on the orange version or any version for that matter?
I held the button down and turned the receiver on. Worked fine with an AR500 and an orange receiver.
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:35 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,950 Posts
Quote:
How do you use the bind button on the orange version or any version for that matter?
Just like the bind switch on most transmitters. You hold it while turning on the transmitter, then release it and the Tx/module stays in bind mode.

By the way, don't continue to hold the button on a Spektrum or clone as that can prevent memorization of the failsafe info. As soon as the receiver shows any response (rapid flashing stops) release the button.

Does that cover your question?
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:50 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Jun 2007
341 Posts
Orange module modification

Picture #1 Show the completed modification.
Picture#2 Shows module without cover
Picture#3 Shows module removed
Picture#4 Shows hole in 8103
Picture#5 Shows hole in the module
Picture#6 Shows route of cable inside 8103
Picture#7 Shows notch on top of PC board for route of cable
Codimasta is offline Find More Posts by Codimasta
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:22 PM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerospacer View Post
For my money, if it is a 24.GHz module, the only thing I use is the Spektrum DM9 module case. I have a hat trick of these modules, a FrSky, an AnyLink and finally the OrangeRx DMS2 all "canned" in DM9 cases for my JR XP-783.
Neat, but the Spektrum case is pretty pricey, more than the cost of the Orange RX module.
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:43 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
Neat, but the Spektrum case is pretty pricey, more than the cost of the Orange RX module.
No it isn't. It's $9.50.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...module-SPM6817
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:40 PM
United States, MN, Big Lake
Joined Sep 2003
274 Posts
Spektrum DM9 case

Quote:
If you mean how do you get at the buttons under the DM9 case cover, I drill an access hole through cover to reach the buttons mounted off the Orange's circuit board.

As far as cost of DM9 module case, I suppose there are some LHS' out there that would charge the $21.99 list price.
Aerospacer is offline Find More Posts by Aerospacer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:52 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
4,105 Posts
I've seen some DM9 cases on ebay for about $9-12, shipped. I think HH charges an additional $7(?) for shipping.

edit. Here it is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spektrum-SPM...item3f1c9b4723
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:34 AM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
No it isn't. It's $9.50.
Cheers, I couldn't find it less that 20 when I first searched. Just need to see if anyone supplies to the UK for that sort of price.
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:15 AM
Doink-not again :)...aka Greg
United States, MI, Sterling Heights
Joined Jul 2012
1,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in ILM View Post
I held the button down and turned the receiver on. Worked fine with an AR500 and an orange receiver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Just like the bind switch on most transmitters. You hold it while turning on the transmitter, then release it and the Tx/module stays in bind mode.

By the way, don't continue to hold the button on a Spektrum or clone as that can prevent memorization of the failsafe info. As soon as the receiver shows any response (rapid flashing stops) release the button.

Does that cover your question?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerospacer View Post
If you mean how do you get at the buttons under the DM9 case cover, I drill an access hole through cover to reach the buttons mounted off the Orange's circuit board.

As far as cost of DM9 module case, I suppose there are some LHS' out there that would charge the $21.99 list price.
Yea accessing the bind buttons (sorry it took me so long to reply). Looks like the cover is thicker/deeper though - did you add some type of extension to the buttons?
Makdaddy is online now Find More Posts by Makdaddy
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:47 PM
United States, MN, Big Lake
Joined Sep 2003
274 Posts
Button access through DM9 case

You could add extensions to the bind and ID button on the Orange module RF, but I just use a "probe" to reach through the holes I put above the buttons to depress them. It is no more difficult to do than actuating the bind buttons on many receivers that don't have them exposed.

The DM9 case does come with the button extension they need for the Spektrum RF module that was meant for the case. You probably could use it to extend the Orange's bind button. The ID change button probably will never need to be used. I considered not even providing access to it.
Aerospacer is offline Find More Posts by Aerospacer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:59 AM
Russian Federation, Kemerovskaya oblast, Kemerovo
Joined Dec 2012
61 Posts
some research http://forum.rcdesign.ru/blogs/3166/blog16200.html in russian.

in BIND packet change one of most significant byte.
in the packet header with the data used only the last two bytes (it unchanged). dsmX mode is like a do not care, there are number of channels in use is calculated based on all of the 4 bytes and the intersection is unlikely, but can happen in dsm2 trouble. If only a couple of Oranges not evaluate the operating channel on the basis of the first two bytes of manufacturer ID.

I could be wrong.

- is Orange ID unique?
yes and no. you need 50 times to press the "change ID" button and use only dsmX receivers. user manual directly speaks about being wanted change ID, so he burn one for all modules. try to check out another RF module.

- is the module reflashable?
yes. use any tools. i build firmware for usbasp programmator and avrdude with Xmega support. http://code.google.com/p/orange-tx-m...downloads/list

- can the TX-part be used as the original Spektrum unit for modify TX?
do not understand the question.

- what changes if you press the ID button 3-times short?
look like nothing.

thank you, Peter.
RW9UAO is offline Find More Posts by RW9UAO
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:26 PM
Russian Federation, Kemerovskaya oblast, Kemerovo
Joined Dec 2012
61 Posts
clarify. in dsm2 CRC_SEED and SOP / DATA calculated based on 4-byte manufacturer ID. so that the crossings will not. dsmX but still secure.
RW9UAO is offline Find More Posts by RW9UAO
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:36 AM
Joined Jul 2009
1,313 Posts
Greetings,
I modified my DX-6 with the Orange Module. It was working fine with the Rx which came with the module. But when I try to rebind it or bind it to another Rx, the binding process is not happening. I tried switching between different modes and change IDs. Still no luck with the binding.

Anything I should try?

Cheers
mrexcel is offline Find More Posts by mrexcel
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:25 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrexcel View Post
Greetings,
I modified my DX-6 with the Orange Module. It was working fine with the Rx which came with the module. But when I try to rebind it or bind it to another Rx, the binding process is not happening. I tried switching between different modes and change IDs. Still no luck with the binding.

Anything I should try?

Cheers
What other receiver? You mention DX6, The Orange module will not work with the AR6000 that is the DX6 receiver, as it's a different protocol.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:39 AM
Joined Jul 2009
1,313 Posts
Other receivers are also Orange Rxs. They are DSM2
mrexcel is offline Find More Posts by mrexcel