HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:29 PM
Picture a worm wearing goggles
snipeworm's Avatar
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Feb 2012
2,032 Posts
Is it even possible to get the spektrum module anymore?
snipeworm is online now Find More Posts by snipeworm
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:43 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2012
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
So HK should have realised that all the radios that the module is supposed to be used with would require the module to swap channels, and should have done accordingly, just like Spektrum.
I'm pretty sure HK only did the OrangeRx module (and soon to be released one for the 9XR) to get Spektrum users across to Turnigy like they did with the receivers (got Spektrum users to OrangeRx rxs that is... Argh, why does the brand have 'Rx' in it...). Seriously, ball bearing gimbals and stock backlight with the 9XR, direct potshots at Horizon for something you only get standard with the most expensive units.
lobstermash is offline Find More Posts by lobstermash
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:36 PM
Registered User
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
2,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipeworm View Post
Is it even possible to get the spektrum module anymore?
Readily available and about the same cost as the orange if you sell of the included receiver.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ble-SPMMSJR720

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...le-SPMMSFUT720
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:19 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers View Post
Readily available and about the same cost as the orange if you sell of the included receiver.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ble-SPMMSJR720

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...le-SPMMSFUT720
One thing they did smart was the std lipo powering the tx via the balance connector. No need to require a custom connector, so good job on that. Now if they could just make it not look like a kids toy.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:45 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_g View Post
My point was that the OrangeRx Futaba module is, lets not say clone, lets say 'an alternative' to the expensive DM8. So you'd expect the same channel mappings. I expect the majority will be bought by Futaba users wanting to use BnF models, but couldnt justify a DM8. Those users will be disappointed.
Lets be clear, firmware wise its not a complex issue to re-order channels is it?
It doesnt need a remapping config option, it just needs to match a DM8.
Cheers
Phil www.singlechannel.co.uk
OK, I understand. You thought they had copied the DM8. See, I never thought that for a moment.

And, again, the DM8 is about the same price as the Orange DSM2, DSMX unit. But it is only DSM2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers View Post
True but no DSMX. Probably not really a concern with the micros's though.
DSM2 is perfectly fine. Unless you are going to some monster event with hundreds of 2.4 GHz sysetems DSM2 is just fine. Works fine for me.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:59 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
pmackenzie's Avatar
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
And, again, the DM8 is about the same price as the Orange DSM2, DSMX unit. But it is only DSM2. .
About the same price, actually works, remaps the channels in an intelligent fashion, and is legal to use.

Remind me again why anyone would buy the Orange DSM2/DSMX module?
Just for DSMX capability, which may or may not be implemented properly ?
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:11 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
About the same price, actually works, remaps the channels in an intelligent fashion, and is legal to use.

Remind me again why anyone would buy the Orange DSM2/DSMX module?
Just for DSMX capability, which may or may not be implemented properly ?
I've just ordered the Orange JR module. In spite of frequent comments I can't seem to find the Spektrum DM9 actually in stock for a remotely comparable price. Best I've seen is around 3 time the Orange price, and that's from overseas as well so the same shipment delay and 3 times the risk of customs issues.
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:30 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Kilrah's Avatar
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
4,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
Best I've seen is around 3 time the Orange price
But it comes with a receiver that's worth about the difference. Those who say it's pretty much the same price count the gains from selling the unused receiver.
Kilrah is offline Find More Posts by Kilrah
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:12 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
pmackenzie's Avatar
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
I've just ordered the Orange JR module. In spite of frequent comments I can't seem to find the Spektrum DM9 actually in stock for a remotely comparable price. Best I've seen is around 3 time the Orange price, and that's from overseas as well so the same shipment delay and 3 times the risk of customs issues.
I was referring to the Futaba version.

There is a slightly better case for the JR one. But the first time you buy a genuine AR7010 the price advantage goes "poof"

$110 for the module plus AR7010, so ~$80 more than the Orange. (In stock at Horizon)
If at any time you decide to buy an AR7010 you will pay approx that much again, more if you pay full retail.

Spektrum has almost always given away the modules once you took the price of the receiver it comes with into consideration.

But if your plan is to stick to the 6 channel receivers and/or BNF stuff, and don't want to go through the trouble of selling the AR7010 then buying the HK one makes sense.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Last edited by pmackenzie; Dec 30, 2012 at 07:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:46 AM
60 years of RC flying
Daedalus66's Avatar
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
17,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
I was referring to the Futaba version.

Spektrum has always almost always given away the modules once you took the price of the receiver it comes with into consideration.

Pat MacKenzie
Not quite always. I recall buying the module in mid-2007, when it first came out, for around $250 with an AR7000. It went into my JR XP9303 and is still going strong. It was probably a year or so after that before they dropped the price.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:50 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
pmackenzie's Avatar
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,143 Posts
True. But that is all ancient history
Funny thing was they had the Futaba combos priced way more aggressively than the JR ones.

Made perfect sense: Give away the module, then sell you some receivers, then you buy a transmitter to go with them. Spektrum 1 Futaba 0

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:02 AM
AndyKunz's Avatar
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Not quite always. I recall buying the module in mid-2007, when it first came out, for around $250 with an AR7000. It went into my JR XP9303 and is still going strong. It was probably a year or so after that before they dropped the price.
There was a combo available though, that's when I bought mine. It was the module & rx combo, then you sent in for a second rx or 2 (I got 2), so by the time I was done I had a module and 3 receivers for a very good price.

The original AR7000 is still in one of my planes.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:11 AM
60 years of RC flying
Daedalus66's Avatar
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
17,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
There was a combo available though, that's when I bought mine. It was the module & rx combo, then you sent in for a second rx or 2 (I got 2), so by the time I was done I had a module and 3 receivers for a very good price.

The original AR7000 is still in one of my planes.

Andy
Those promotional deals really do work. I had a perfectly good JR XP9303 with Spektrum module in 2007, but along came the X9303 in 2008 with integrated 2.4, lower latency and ModelMatch. I would have held off, but there was a free, limited time receiver deal I couldn't resist! I never did sell the original transmitter as I had intended. And all that stuff still works 100%.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:20 AM
Oxford Panic
AndyOne's Avatar
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,661 Posts
I paid 60 for my DM8 module without the receiver, the Orange one works out at about 20 so it's a third of the price.

A.
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:58 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyOne View Post
I paid 60 for my DM8 module without the receiver, the Orange one works out at about 20 so it's a third of the price.

A.
Yeah, that's what I was seeing. My order from HK came to 21.94 including a charge adapter for $1.59 as well as the module and postage. DM9 from UK supplier is 65 + postage.

From overseas it's 68 including a receiver. Looking at completed listings on Ebay AR7010s go for 30 - 40. So the module would end up costing 28 - 38 depending on luck selling the receiver. There might have been some benefit getting a receiver to test with, but I didn't think of that at the time.
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion HobbyKing Orange Rx DSM, any problems/complaints? big_poppa4904 Radios 26 Aug 12, 2013 04:08 AM
For Sale Blade sr dsm tx hp6dsm and blade 120 sr tx Garrett1234567 Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Nov 08, 2012 04:46 PM
For Sale Spektrum Telemetry TM1000's, TM1100's,AR6000 DSM2, 4 New Orange DSM 2 Receivers, daign FPV Equipment (FS/W) 8 Jun 02, 2012 03:26 PM
Sold Brand New Orange DSM 2 Satellite Receivers healthyfatboy Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 9 May 06, 2012 04:17 PM
Sold Mint Spektrum DX6i, DSM 2 with 6ch Orange RX tankbuster Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 2 Apr 06, 2012 08:39 AM