HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:32 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,031 Posts
Replacement

From the HK site:
We are replacing all first batch modules. See the page below to see if you are eligable.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...t_products.asp

When you go to the page you find:

Product: OrangeRX DSMX/DSM2 2.4Ghz Transmitter Module (JR/Turnigy compatible)
Product ID 9171000070 has been found to have a manufacturing defect and we are replacing them automatically without need for the customer to contact Customer Service.
The manufacturing defect existed only in the first batch of products and recently sold units as well as units being shipped now and in the future do not have this fault.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Nov 20, 2012 at 06:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:01 AM
flying beam
through the Looking Glass
Joined Apr 2008
1,644 Posts
This is the way to go.

I haven't yet received my module (it is from the first batch, bought it same day it was out).

Will be waiting...
blackmoon is online now Find More Posts by blackmoon
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:32 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmoon View Post
This is the way to go.

I haven't yet received my module (it is from the first batch, bought it same day it was out).

Will be waiting...
Me too.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:26 AM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,654 Posts
Is there any news on the Futaba compatible one yet.

A.
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:43 AM
Joined Sep 2012
225 Posts
Can anyone say with certainty that this will not work correctly with bnf blade helis? I wanted to pop is in my th9x (stock firmware) and fly my msrx and perhaps, future models. When the second wave comes, and works, I'd like to be on it.
elkabong80 is offline Find More Posts by elkabong80
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:52 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkabong80 View Post
Can anyone say with certainty that this will not work correctly with bnf blade helis? I wanted to pop is in my th9x (stock firmware) and fly my msrx and perhaps, future models. When the second wave comes, and works, I'd like to be on it.
I can say for sure that the stock firmware has the wrong channel sequence (AETR). Unless the module includes the ability to change the channel sequence to Spektrum (TAER), it will not work. I have seen no evidence that the module has this ability.

Has anyone actually plugged the module into a stock 9x and tried it?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:51 AM
flying beam
Joined Apr 2008
1,644 Posts
That would be a big fail from HK, if they advertise this to work with 9X they should provide that ability to the module, unless they want you to be stuck with only orange rx and genuine Sepktrum receivers, and let go all the cool BNF stuff.

Not every one wants or has the skills needed to flash the 9x to an open source firmware.

I did, but still bought this for my JR.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:59 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,283 Posts
Is not HK fail at all !
9X is not their radio, and it's FlySky mistake to not match the channels sequence with the JR module type. HK has no responsibility to fix this, and people fly a lot other planes than spectrum BNFs.
Actually, I wouldn't call a model plane one where you can't change channels order, or can't change components with other compatible, probably there isn't even PPM inside... this is a RC toy.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:21 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Is not HK fail at all !
9X is not their radio, and it's FlySky mistake to not match the channels sequence with the JR module type. HK has no responsibility to fix this, and people fly a lot other planes than spectrum BNFs.
Actually, I wouldn't call a model plane one where you can't change channels order, or can't change components with other compatible, probably there isn't even PPM inside... this is a RC toy.
The FlySky decision to use the Futaba sequence goes back to the original design of the 9x about 2006/7, when nearly everything was still FM and 2.4 was just emerging. BNF models weren't even a gleam in the eye.

The new transmitter is just days or weeks away and will certainly have the ability to do DSM and work with the Spektrum channel sequence.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:25 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,283 Posts
The Futaba / JR different channels order difference is even older, from FM era, same age as PPM I think, and should be known by anyone mode plane pilot.
It's in the same category as the PPM shift, which was important in FM, and doesn't matter now, in 2.4G. But channels orders matters !
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Last edited by renatoa; Nov 20, 2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:42 AM
flying beam
Joined Apr 2008
1,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Is not HK fail at all !
It is if you have BNF in mind.

It isn't if you have a real rx on board.

There is room for everyone, even the "Toys" plane boys/girls

Lets agree we disagree
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:08 AM
glen innes australia
Joined May 2001
224 Posts
Someone has finally posted the tx manual on the HK website (maybe in response to my question which seems to have disappeared from the discussion overnight).
One interesting observation is the note regarding what you have to do if you find someone else operating your rx. I thought these types of tx were supposed to have a unique number? :>)
regards
Bob
robertc is offline Find More Posts by robertc
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:13 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc View Post
Someone has finally posted the tx manual on the HK website (maybe in response to my question which seems to have disappeared from the discussion overnight).
One interesting observation is the note regarding what you have to do if you find someone else operating your rx. I thought these types of tx were supposed to have a unique number? :>)
regards
Bob
That's hard to guarantee when you don't issue out the ID numbers. I can't imagine Horizon Hobby/Spektrum issuing out ID numbers to Hobbyking for their OrangeRX module!

In fact this fear that you may have the same ID could be a reason for Flying Clubs/Sites ban this module.

Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:37 AM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,654 Posts
Simon,

I asked a very similar question a while ago and was told that the GUID is in the Cyprus chip and is not decided by the manufacturer of the R/C gear.
It is possible when binding on the field to accidentally bind to someone else's TX and this is why it would be possible for them to control your model.
A.
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:58 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyOne View Post
Simon,

I asked a very similar question a while ago and was told that the GUID is in the Cyprus chip and is not decided by the manufacturer of the R/C gear.
It is possible when binding on the field to accidentally bind to someone else's TX and this is why it would be possible for them to control your model.
A.
Having a good look through the Cypress () datasheets, they do have a unique "Manufacturer ID" number: http://www.cypress.com/?id=4&rID=38064

Quote:
What is the format of the Manufacturing ID of CYRF6936 ?

The MFG ID of the CYRF6936 is a 6 BYTE value with the following format:

1st byte : 4bits version + 2 bits vendor ID + high 2 bits of Year
2nd byte: low 2bits of Year + 6 bits of manufacture Work Week
3rd byte : high 8bits of lot#
4th byte : low 5bits of lot# + high 3 of Wafer#
5th byte : low 2bits of Wafer# + high 6 bits of X coordinate on Wafer
6th byte : LSB of X coordinate on wafer + high 7 bits of Y coordinate on wafer.

So it is possible that the first four bytes can be identical among a few samples. It is the last two bytes that will be unique due to X-Y coordinates on the Wafer.
So the number is defined on when it was manufactured and the location on the Wafer that the IC die was originally born from.

That's unique enough imo!

Makes you wonder why OrangeRX put a change ID button on for? Maybe it was a just-in-case feature where if there was a lot of units out in the wild that had the same ID - and so the ID could be changed without having to send it back. Or maybe they aren't using the Manufacturer ID and just picking numbers out of random. I hope its the latter but considering the amount of problems they've had, I fear it may be the former.

Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member