HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:18 AM
Joined Nov 2012
2 Posts
Help!
Aileron in detacheable wing

Hello folks, I'm new to this forum and pretty much the rc world.
I built a Veron Impala and all works ok on two channels but I was thinking of adding ailerons. The problem is I made the wing in two halves so I'd either need one servo per aileron or a complex connecting mechanism. I'd rather use the first method so I was wanting to ask... Is it possible to control two aileron servo's antagonistically by plugging them into the two aileron connectors on my reciever. I have a Spektrum Dx5e radio and 6 channel reciever or do I need to program something?

Thanks for any help
jetilla is offline Find More Posts by jetilla
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:45 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,411 Posts
You can either use two aileron channels, or just a 'Y' lead into one channel.

The 'trick' is to ensure you mount the servos so that they do work in opposite directions, whether from separate channels or a 'Y' lead.
Best way is to lay the servos out as you expect to mount them in the wing, connect to the receiver and see with way they move. The output arms need to move in opposite directions. (See picture).
If you mount the servos vertical, (they are shown on their side in the picture), you could just attach the output arm to either side to give opposite rotation.

Separate channels may also allow yo to use the ailerons as flaps, (both going down, while still capable of being ailerons), it will depend on your Tx's capability.

Sounds like a nice little project.

Welcome to RCGroups.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:33 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,427 Posts
Almost all receivers should be able to run two servos by using a Y cable. If you find that you run into buzzing or other issues try disconnecting one and see if it goes away on the other. If this happens then you have one of the rare receivers that will not support being loaded down by two servos on one channel. If this happens you can try a different brand of servo and see if that works.

Assuming you can happily run two servos from one channel the next issue will be that both will want to rotate the same way. The trick then is to mount the servos so that you drive the ailerons with the side of the arms that move in opposite directions like they are supposed to move. A little looking and thinking of the servos moving will quickly show you what I'm talking about. You want one to "push" while the other "pulls".
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:48 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,095 Posts
Lay everything out on the bench first for a "test run". If all looks well, have at it.

WELCOME to the wonderful world or RC. Now go burn your credit cards before it gets out of hand

Ken
kenh3497 is online now Find More Posts by kenh3497