HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:34 PM
United States, NM, Los Lunas
Joined Jan 2012
61 Posts
Okay, took my plane out on Saturday, showed all the guys there, we couldn't bind my dx5e to the plane, we tried over and over and still wouldn't bind. Then we bound one of the dx6i transmitters to it and it was fine. We concluded that it was the transmitter but when I was at home, I bound it just fine with the dx5e. I'm wondering if there was too much signal interference with all the transmitters out there? Cause it works fine when I'm at home. I even walk all the way down the street to see if it still had signal and it did? Anyways, I had someone take the plane off for me and then hand me the controls. The plane flew just fine. I even landed it with no problem. Looks like the nose wheel needs to be adjusted a little bit but other than that it flies just fine. Nerves were going though.

It was a blast!!! I'm defenitaly addicted to flying.....I can't wait to take it out again, I just want to make sure there is nothing wrong with my dx5e. I'm going to take it down to one of the hobby shops so one of the guys can look at it. I just need to wait for the funds to purchase a dx6i. Thanks for all of the help guys, I appreciate it.
mrmki81 is offline Find More Posts by mrmki81
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:26 PM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,156 Posts
Hang on to your wallet, these things are addictive.

If the transmitter is too close to the receiver, they often won't bind. Another possibility is not holding the bind button long enough.

Congrats on the successful flight.
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:01 PM
Joined Jan 2012
61 Posts
So I think I possibly have a problem with my reciever.....Okay, so here is what I do:

I charge the battery (E-flite 3S 11.1V 3200mAh 15C) with the charger (E-flite 2-3 Cell Balancing Li-Po Charger) that the apprentice 15e came with.

When the battery is done I unplug it and go and plug it into my plane. I hear the 4 tones that come from the motor. Then when I look at the spektrum AR600 receiver the orange light isn't on? When I plug in and out the plug to the plane it kind of flickers, but then never turns on?

I then wait about 5 minutes and plug the battery in to the plane and everything works just fine. Light comes on, I hear all the tones when the transmitter is bound, and all ailerons, elevator, rudder, and motor work just fine. And I just flew my plane yesterday without any problems.

Here is what I think. It seems like the battery is charged too much when I plug it in, too much voltage going to the receiver because after the battery sits for a few minutes, I plug it back in, and everything works just fine. I'm going to charge it again and see what happens. What is your take on this???
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:26 AM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Apr 2010
930 Posts
Congrats on your successful flying.I don't think the battery has too much charge.And it shouldn't lose appreciable amount in 5 mins either.There is a correct binding procedure which varies with the make of radio,it needs to be followed exactly.
alibongo is offline Find More Posts by alibongo
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:42 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,156 Posts
You do have the transmitter on when you plug in the plane? It needs to be on for a few seconds, and a foot or two away from the plane when you plug it in.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:26 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,408 Posts
Except for initial binding of transmitter to receiver, always turn transmitter on first, then install battery in plane. If you disconnect the plane's battery and then reconnect it without turning off the transmitter in between disconnecting and reconnecting, the receiver will flash as it thinks it lost signal. So if you disconnect the plane battery, always turn off transmitter next. Then if you want to plug plane battery in again turn transmitter back on before doing so.
For initial binding the two, you plug battery in plane first and the receiver goes into bind mode, then turn on transmitter while holding the bind button or whatever it takes on that individual transmitter. After the transmitter and receiver are bound together ALWAYS turn transmitter on first plug in plane bettery second and to shut down always unplug plane battery first, then turn off transmitter.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:31 AM
Joined Jan 2012
61 Posts
The transmitter is always on before I plug the battery in, the light on the receiver never turns on. It takes about five minutes of sitting around, plug the battery in, and everything works just fine. Hmmmmmm? I'm going out flying today so I'll let you know whatit did......
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:39 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,156 Posts
Could be you have a loose connection or bad solder joint somewhere?
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:32 PM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmki81 View Post

Here is what I think. It seems like the battery is charged too much when I plug it in, too much voltage going to the receiver because after the battery sits for a few minutes, I plug it back in, and everything works just fine. I'm going to charge it again and see what happens. What is your take on this???
I don't know what's going on (and I don't think anyone else here does either), but your theory is unlikely to be correct. The reason is that your battery has way more voltage than the receiver wants anyway. Your battery starts about 12.6 volts fully charged (you can easily test this with a volt meter). It's the ESC that controls the voltage to the receiver, and is usually set for 5.5 volts. It will produce this 5.5 volts fairly independent of the battery voltage (up to 16.8 volts anyway). Further, the receiver is rated to handle up to 9.6 volts.

My guess: bad ESC. But since you know the workaround, just keep flying!
michaelingp is offline Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:21 AM
Joined Jan 2012
61 Posts
Went flying today with my apprentice. It flew just fine, no problems, little windy today too. I'm going out tomorrow morning to let the guys know my transmitter works just fine. Thanks for all the advice.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:27 AM
Joined Jan 2012
61 Posts
Stand for my Apprentice 15e

So I finally built a stand for my Apprentice......Came out good. Still needs a little glueing, and foam insulation put on where the plane goes. what do you guys think? The bottom comes apart so I can take it to the field with me.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:20 PM
United States, KY, Vine Grove
Joined Jun 2012
209 Posts
Great idea for a stand, gonna have to make me one.
vg33 is offline Find More Posts by vg33
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:59 AM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,765 Posts
That stand is nifty. Cheap and simple. I thought of one mod for it. A few tees on the uprights would allow for braces, which could also support a flight box. The extra weight could be handy on a breezy day.
Ron H is offline Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:33 PM
Joined Jan 2012
61 Posts
I'm working on a table of some sort to attach to it.