Do I file a flat spot myself?
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:14 AM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,469 Posts
Seems to me the only logic solution, and it is what I would do....

However, I would not use a file but a grinding stone, whether that would be a benchgrinder or a Dremel, just to make sure, the flat spot will be really flat....

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is online now Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:25 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
I use a Dremel cutoff wheel, and slowly take off the shaft metal at a 90 angle. Good luck!
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:06 AM
Will fly for food.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jul 2002
391 Posts
use a zip-lock baggie too. Put the motor in the baggie, then punch the shaft through the plastic, then do your filing/grinding. This keeps the metal filings out of the motor/sticking to the magnets.

Jon
Jonathan Ott is online now Find More Posts by Jonathan Ott
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:14 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
1,943 Posts
Thanks guys, also thanks for the bag tip Jon!

That sucks, I wish Align did this for me. They just expect someone to not do it and screw the set screw onto the round shaft? That's what the manual reads.

I saw a guy on youtube put green thread locker on his shaft to pinion, he set the screw too... then said to just use heat to get it off later. What's your guys' thoughts on that?

If it's not flat it'll move up and down? Seerms impossible then, I'm only a man. Would threadlocker red or blue, on the shaft, help keep it in place if it wasn't perfectly flat?

And the shaft seems at least somewhat hollow, at least partly, the way align does some of their main shafts.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:26 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,469 Posts
Threadlock between shaft and pinion works, as for keeping the pinion in place during flight. But I don't like having to heat the assembly and exert an axial force on the shaft.

You only need a very slight flattening, maybe 0.1 or 0.2 mm (0.004 to 0.008").
Even if that is not perfectly aligned with the shaft, the pinion usually will not ride up or down.

Brgds, Bert
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:24 PM
Get to the choppa!
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Sep 2012
358 Posts
My first motor had this and I just used a little bit of locktite in the screw hole before I fastened the set screw. I never had a problem with it slipping, but that engine was ruined by a short in the cheap esc so I only used it for about 2 weeks.
RFDelie is offline Find More Posts by RFDelie
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:08 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1967 View Post
Threadlock between shaft and pinion works, as for keeping the pinion in place during flight. But I don't like having to heat the assembly and exert an axial force on the shaft.

You only need a very slight flattening, maybe 0.1 or 0.2 mm (0.004 to 0.008").
Even if that is not perfectly aligned with the shaft, the pinion usually will not ride up or down.

Brgds, Bert
Thanks, then maybe I'm overreacting, maybe it's not going to be so bad. Still, what if I were to put blue thread locker on the shaft & grind a slight flat spot? The thread locker would be a just in case. I gotta buy a dremel, I'm the only person in the hobby without one.

RFdelie, I put threadlock on my setscrew always. Was your motor you mentioned an esky motor? Just curious.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:45 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
Still, what if I were to put blue thread locker on the shaft & grind a slight flat spot?
Then you have an unnecessary hard time removing the pinion... that's what.

The flat spot has only one purpose: creating a local smaller "diameter" so the shaft locks onto the setscrew when the shaft tries to rotate in the pinion.
A light securing with blue loktite on the setscrew is really all that is needed, provided, you set the setscrew at the lowest point.

What I usually do is very slowly tightening the setscrew (with only loose fingertips) while twisting the pinion back and forth over the shaft. This way you make sure, the setscrew lands on the lowest spot. once you have found that spot, tighten it normally, and it should not give any problem both until and during the next time you need to loosen it.

Brgds, Bert
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:08 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1967 View Post
Then you have an unnecessary hard time removing the pinion... that's what.

The flat spot has only one purpose: creating a local smaller "diameter" so the shaft locks onto the setscrew when the shaft tries to rotate in the pinion.
A light securing with blue loktite on the setscrew is really all that is needed, provided, you set the setscrew at the lowest point.

What I usually do is very slowly tightening the setscrew (with only loose fingertips) while twisting the pinion back and forth over the shaft. This way you make sure, the setscrew lands on the lowest spot. once you have found that spot, tighten it normally, and it should not give any problem both until and during the next time you need to loosen it.

Brgds, Bert
Thanks Brutus, I feel more confident about the whole thing now. I still wish align would've done it, I expected more from them.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:28 PM
Get to the choppa!
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Sep 2012
358 Posts
No fin, it was a cheap dytrum motor that I got from hobbypartz.com. I got the esc and motor for 37.00. It flew fine, no slipping. But burned out quickly.
RFDelie is offline Find More Posts by RFDelie
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:45 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,959 Posts
I have the same issue actually, the flat spot on the CopterX motor was only on the lower part of the output shaft, but i needed to raise the pinion to get it to line up with the main gear. So i put thread locker on the setscrew and screwed it in extra tight. Hope it doesn't slip.
Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFDelie View Post
No fin, it was a cheap dytrum motor that I got from hobbypartz.com. I got the esc and motor for 37.00. It flew fine, no slipping. But burned out quickly.
that's detrum for you, burning out.

I thought about their combo for a future sport-3d plane build but think I'll pass. I've heard their esc's suck too.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:22 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
I have the same issue actually, the flat spot on the CopterX motor was only on the lower part of the output shaft, but i needed to raise the pinion to get it to line up with the main gear. So i put thread locker on the setscrew and screwed it in extra tight. Hope it doesn't slip.
I'd grind a flat spot on it like I have to. But apparently Align doesn't think it's necessary so who knows. I'm going to grind a spot for safe measure.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:29 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,959 Posts
Really need to figure out the local equivalent of the dremel. Seems like it'll be useful for this hobby.
Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member