SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:24 AM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
929 Posts
Question
Superfly build question

I just ordered a superfly kit. I have read through the instruction and watched a build video on youtube. I have a few questions.

Canopy/battery: I don't see how the battery canopy setup works. How do you get the battery in and out? Is only the front edge of the canopy glued down so you can lift the rear part up to get the battery out? Do you use velcro to hold the battery down or does the canopy hold it down? The instructions sort of gloss over this part. They say to balance it, then remove the battery and glue the canopy down. That leaves it unclear how to get the battery back in.

Servo mounting: The build video I saw shows melting out the foam to create a pocket for the servos. Why not just make a cut out hole? Why not just glue the servos on top of the wing? Is there an advantage to melting out a pocket?
rhodesengr is offline Find More Posts by rhodesengr
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:39 AM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
I just ordered a superfly kit. I have read through the instruction and watched a build video on youtube. I have a few questions.

Canopy/battery: I don't see how the battery canopy setup works. How do you get the battery in and out? Is only the front edge of the canopy glued down so you can lift the rear part up to get the battery out? Do you use velcro to hold the battery down or does the canopy hold it down? The instructions sort of gloss over this part. They say to balance it, then remove the battery and glue the canopy down. That leaves it unclear how to get the battery back in.

Servo mounting: The build video I saw shows melting out the foam to create a pocket for the servos. Why not just make a cut out hole? Why not just glue the servos on top of the wing? Is there an advantage to melting out a pocket?

Yeah, on top of the wing is possible when you build them inside the wing. Cutting foam is not easy, melting is easier. Also gives much better cut outs too so the servo really gets snug inside the foam. They need plenty of foam around for strongest control or they will have too much play. Also depends on how successful you can glue them into place. If you want them on top, I'd totally go for it!
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:44 AM
Joined Jan 2012
929 Posts
but what about the battery mounting?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:50 AM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
but what about the battery mounting?
It's possible to mount the battery inside just the same, just make sure that you cut deep enough so the airfoil won't get a lot distortion / drag from whatever is sticking out. I wouldn't worry to much, just make sure you use the battery location to balance the plane for the correct center of gravity.

You do need to put the electronics inside the flying wing as much as possible.

I would use velcro for the battery hatch, but do make sure the battery can not fall out when you fly inverted. You might have to secure the hatch in some way or another. I would not glue the battery itself in , nor the hatch fully shut. Velcro is key.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:38 PM
I'm overcoming gravity!
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
4,011 Posts
The battery slides under the canopy from the side.
For the servos, I trace them out and use a new exacto blade to cut out the foam. Cut the outline first and then use needle nose plyers to pull out chunks of foam.
Murman is online now Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:53 PM
Joined Jan 2012
929 Posts
ok thanks. I was really unclear about the battery.

I watched a build video on Youtube where he used a soldering iron to melt out the foam where the servos go. I'll try both methods.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:08 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,253 Posts
Quote:
ok thanks. I was really unclear about the battery.
I tried a couple of fancy methods on the battery canopy, but nothing worked better than gluing it on at the front and back. The battery fits snugly under the canopy and doesn't work loose.

It's a great flyer and I really enjoy mine... good luck with yours!
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Sep 11, 2014, 07:39 AM
Joined Oct 2009
223 Posts
You guy's still fll flying ur Superfly?
highpines is offline Find More Posts by highpines
Old Sep 11, 2014, 07:40 AM
Joined Oct 2009
223 Posts
I know old reply........
Old Sep 11, 2014, 09:35 AM
I'm overcoming gravity!
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
4,011 Posts
Still flying 3 SF products. TeensieFly, my original SF that I use for combat, and a lite SF that I fly almost every time I go to the field.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2014, 09:43 AM
I'm overcoming gravity!
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
4,011 Posts
Almost forgot, I've got 2 more in the box for when I ever destroy these!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2014, 12:32 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,253 Posts
Love mine, still flying. So sweet, and looks so pretty in the air!
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Sep 18, 2014, 05:25 PM
Joined Oct 2009
223 Posts
hahahahaha
Old Sep 18, 2014, 05:36 PM
Joined Oct 2009
223 Posts
I'm on second Fly haven't flown yet geuss kinda scared.......haven't flown bout a year...18 amp esc
t hobbies 24 something motor...spectrum...stuf ...many batts2 and 3s....think I should start with 2 S?,,,,,,thanks for help
Old Sep 18, 2014, 07:35 PM
Joined Jan 2012
929 Posts
I kept my super fly at 2S. In its stock form, the wing is not very stiff. It is a fun slow flyer in low wind but if the forces get up, it starts bending. It would benefit from some reinforcing ribs. I might just add some. The original design battery holder just did not work. I removed it and cut a pocket for the battery into the foam.

I also built a CTH Assassin and the PopWing from Nitroplanes. I think of the three, the PopWing is the best general purpose wing. I built the ARF version and there is really nothing wrong with it. When I build a new one, I think I'd choose my own parts. My Assassin came out a little heavy because I covered it in Ultracoat. So it needs to fly faster than the Popwing. If I put the 2812 motor on the Popwing, it would be even faster than the motor that came with the ARF.