HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:16 PM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,189 Posts
Hey Barry, nice work for giving it a go! The other guys have said it a bit, but from what you say it sounds like you are doing what I used to do when I learnt. If you try to just dive in and fly in circles you will usually get blown back and peter out like you say. You might be better off to just do one dive in and out then try again rather than try to link up laps straight away. If you make sure you fly back onto the front side each lap you will guarantee that you have crossed back through the shear and get another dose of energy. Soon you will be able to tell where the shear is and when you have crossed it. Its always gonna be hard on a dam though. Good luck, you will be hooked soon!
josh18 is online now Find More Posts by josh18
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:17 AM
Joined May 2012
81 Posts
Hey Everyone,

Thanks so much for the wealth of information. I was back out at the site earlier today, and have been mulling over the different perspectives.

Firstly, I think the biggest common denominator among your advice and the videos lies in the site itself. Put simply, my site doesn't seem to have a sharp enough edge to make a decent shear layer. It's there, but it is nothing like what is clearly there in some of the videos.

Second, my attempts were on a day when the wind was quartering the slope a bit. It makes sense now that that would prevent a good shear layer, as it allows the air for move over the slope more freely and prevent a sharp shear.

Thirdly, I don't think my DLG's are the way to learn this facet of soaring. Don't get me wrong, I know they are performance capable, but they are not made for taking a beating, and they certainly aren't cheap. After watching the Alula video (nice, btw!), I'm thinking I will practice on a different dam (with a sharp front to back angle) with my Zagi. My original assumptions were that the plane needed to be ultra slick to retain enough energy to make this work. Upon further consideration, it makes more sense to use an airframe that I can afford to...eh hmm...*interact* with the ground on occasion if and when the conditions create an unflyable circumstance.

I will keep everyone posted with what I'm able to pull off, as your advice has refined my understanding as to what it will take to make this work.

Kind Regards,
Barry
barryplem is offline Find More Posts by barryplem
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:09 PM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
4,918 Posts
Good stuff man! Don't give up =)
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:45 PM
Support Your Local Hobby Shops
Nashville, TN
Joined Feb 2005
746 Posts
aero104 is offline Find More Posts by aero104
Last edited by aero104; Mar 14, 2013 at 02:29 PM.