HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:12 PM
use the 4s luke, use the 4s...
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
864 Posts
Strip the Darby down, blow it all out and reassemble. Also for the $8 a litre I doubt the missus will worripy if you skip a couple of cups of coffee.
scrub monkey is offline Find More Posts by scrub monkey
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:23 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
There is only a couple of things to keep the 2 stroke from running. Bad plug, Bad igniter battery, Bad fuel. Plugged spray bar, plugged air bleed. Or a wore out sleeve and piston, Fuel if left sitting on concrete or a damp area will suck in moisture which you can see in the plastic bottle gathering up above the fuel. Or loss of nitro content from evaporation if left open always close your fuel bottle as soon as possible.
unclecrash is offline Find More Posts by unclecrash
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:37 PM
Joined Aug 2012
44 Posts
VICTORY!!!! Took into account all the replies and after some serious tinkering I finally have it running. Which as always leads to more questions.

With the air bleed low end needle setting, (The small hole in front of engine) how do I bring the idle up a bit? I figured turning it clockwise and reducing air in, would help. I will research some now. But any help is appreciated.

I set the high end needle and it seems to be running well there. Little bit of smoke and it revs up well with no hesitation. It was a little hot,but I would think that is normal. So maybe I should richen it just a bit.
Thanks again for the replys! The help on these boards is keeping me into trying this RC flight thing.
SYRFD is offline Find More Posts by SYRFD
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:55 PM
Joined Aug 2012
44 Posts
After looking up again how to set the low end air bleed I can't find any good answers online. Most just say start halfway and adjust from there... well which way should I adjust if it is sputtering out? I think I will try leaning it out and see how that works if I don't get any reply's. I need a longer screwdriver to do it while the engine is running so I don't lose fingers....
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:34 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
3,031 Posts
Not that difficult.

First make sure, high speed needle is set correct.
Then run the engine at idle for a longer time. Preferrably close the throttle in a brisk way, as the way it takes on idle in the first few seconds tells tales
If it slows down and dies sputtering, it is (much) too rich, open the air bleed a little. If after closing the throttle from full, it takes on idle than slowly revs up and dies, it is (much) too lean.

Fine tuning of the idle mixture is done looking at the way the engine takes up throttle. From a 15 to 30 second idle, open the throttle quickly.
If it hesitates and sputters before running up and gaining speed "slowly", it is (slightly) rich.
If it hesitates only once without sputtering, then either dies or takes on full speed, it is slightly too lean.
Adjust accordingly, until the engine will take on full throttle immediately, after a prolonged idle.

It is important, that you let it idle for at least 30 seconds, to get the engine stabilized on the idle mixture.

When adjusted correctly and with the tank in the correct position, the engine
should also take on throttle reliably when the nose is pointed upwards 45 degrees, although it is acceptable that it will not accelerate as smoothly. As long as it picks up reliably, it is OK.

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is online now Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:58 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrub monkey View Post
Strip the Darby down, blow it all out and reassemble. Also for the $8 a litre I doubt the missus will worripy if you skip a couple of cups of coffee.
What is a Darby, a litre, and a worripy?
datsunguy is offline Find More Posts by datsunguy
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:42 PM
Joined Aug 2012
44 Posts
Thanks Brutus! This sounds right. As It was slowing down and sputtering then dying, I was giving it more fuel which didn't help. Leaning it out should fix my problem. Which should be easy, thanks again for the explanation
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:57 PM
use the 4s luke, use the 4s...
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
864 Posts
Meant to be carby. Auto correct on the iPad keeps on changing it.
scrub monkey is offline Find More Posts by scrub monkey
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:50 AM
Israel, Ramat HaSharon
Joined Nov 2003
1,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrub monkey View Post
Meant to be carby. Auto correct on the iPad keeps on changing it.
That's because the iPad is American (they often shorten 'carburettor' to 'carb') and you are Aussi ('carby')...

The iPad knows it's down-under (it's got GPS), but is apparently not designed to deal with engine terms...

I just always use the un-abbreviated word 'carburettor'.

Now, I know what a 'litre' is (1,000cc - liter in the US), but what is 'worripy'???
DarZeelon is offline Find More Posts by DarZeelon
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:02 PM
TEAM BOCA
United States, IA, Muscatine
Joined Oct 2009
1,602 Posts
"Worripy"
Maybe its Hebrew?
jeffie8696 is offline Find More Posts by jeffie8696
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:25 PM
Israel, Ramat HaSharon
Joined Nov 2003
1,216 Posts
No such word in Hebrew, Jeffie.

Maybe it's Australian?! Oops, it is English they speak there...
DarZeelon is offline Find More Posts by DarZeelon
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:37 AM
TEAM BOCA
United States, IA, Muscatine
Joined Oct 2009
1,602 Posts
Barely
jeffie8696 is offline Find More Posts by jeffie8696