HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:21 PM
Joined Nov 2008
82 Posts
Discussion
Dx10t DSMX Power On to signal

Hi,

On my Dx10t I am facing a strange one with the standard 10 channel receiver...
Behaviour: Receiver goes to fail safe before connecting 1/2 - 1 sec later
How to recreate:
- power up transmitter
- power up receiver
- servos go to fail safe
Setup notes:
- dx10t - latest firmware
- 10 channel rec. with satellites
- tm1000 telemetry with temp, voltage, and brushless rpm sensors
I just want to confirm if this is normal...

I am running the gear in DMSX mode, just a little surprised in the latency at turn on, and the fall back to fail safe.

Cheers,
AP
powella is online now Find More Posts by powella
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:56 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,089 Posts
The RF decks do take a little time to come to life.

You know they are transmitting with the LED comes on. If you can wait an extra second or two before turning on the rx, you will be fine.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:09 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,513 Posts
There is nothing really abnormal about this.All Rxs are designed to go to failsafe positions when powered on until they actually determine everything is good and they connect.1/2 to 1 sec between powerup to connection isnt abnormal either.
I have a few setups that pause momentarily between powerup and connection.
Many are mostly instantaneous.There could be many reasons for this.I really dont think its an inherent problem with anything.I kind of did some testing on one I had that seemed to take a couple secs to initially connect.They reconnect instantaneously after a momentary powerloss "brownout" or a forced "hold". Thats what is important. It kind of makes sense to me that the higher function Rxs may take a little more time to initialize.If it was a huge amount of time I might be concerned but a second or 2 doesnt seem to me to be a problem.If any amount of time elapses on a reconnect would be concerned.I have yet to see that situation so I dont worry about it.
aerocal is online now Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:10 PM
Slovenia
Joined Jan 2009
63 Posts
In fact it is quite big problem. Which is caused by lack of two fail safe settings in Spektrum receivers. They don't have option to leave individual channel at it's current position and others in predefined position. This can lead in very bad situation with gear servos. Take this situation. I broke several servo gears and retract doors when I forgot to raise gear on my 6,5 m 20 kg glider, before I switched it off. After a break I switch it on and ... You can imagine what happened. Same thing happened to my friends large scale Mustang. After long time being Spektrum user, I recently migrated to other system (European) among other things, also because Spektrum failed to develop TX modules in DSMX.
alfasud is offline Find More Posts by alfasud
Last edited by alfasud; Nov 13, 2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:16 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,089 Posts
You bound your plane with the gear up?

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:17 AM
Slovenia
Joined Jan 2009
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
You bound your plane with the gear up?

Andy
Of course! Towing coupler disengaged, all other surfaces to neutral and elevator one tick up. Point is that massive FEMA retract has mass of moving parts of cca 600g. When fail safe is activated on receiver prior the connection is established, retract is moved at full speed up and down, depending of its current position. And if you fail to support the plane with one hand, disaster is here. Now, imagine massive hydraulic retract of my college's 3,5 m Mustang.
You can program receiver of some other brands, and set both fail safe position and delay on individual channel.
alfasud is offline Find More Posts by alfasud
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:04 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,089 Posts
Around here with program failsafe to gear DOWN. Aside from preventing damage on startup, it also provides a visual indication of signal loss vs. power loss should you ever have that misfortune. I've never seen it activate in the air, but that's the idea.

All my planes with retracts get powered up either inverted or on a stand. This is because we transport them retracted.

I guess setting your failsafes to FAIL into a SAFE position would improve your results.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:26 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfasud View Post
In fact it is quite big problem. Which is caused by lack of two fail safe settings in Spektrum receivers. They don't have option to leave individual channel at it's current position and others in predefined position. This can lead in very bad situation with gear servos. DSMX.
There are a number of Spektrum receivers that can be Bound for either Failsafe Hold or Failsafe Preset.

When I have had aircraft with Retracts and wanted the gear Retracted as the Failsafe Preset, I would be sure the aircraft was supported off the ground on Power up, since the gear would cycle. I have since decided that having the Failsafe Preset to Gear Down, was more convenient.
Buschbarber is offline Find More Posts by Buschbarber