HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:46 AM
cadmac
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2011
20 Posts
Discussion
Newbie in trouble already............

Could someone help or advise a complete newbie to FPV. I've spent many weeks learning as much as I can before taking the plunge and ordering a 5.8G vTx and vRx and camera (decided to take many people's advice here and start with the basics).

So the parts from Foxtech duly arrived and I connected everything up ok, and using a 'video to VGA' converter, turned on my old Dell 15 inch computer monitor (that I had powered up via a 3s lipo) hoping to get a pretty good image from the camera. But the picture is so very 'grainy', images can only just be made out. So my question is should the camera I've got be capable of displaying on a 15 inch monitor or is a 7 or 8 inch monitor the only way to go?

I've tried switching to every channel available but don't get any improvements when I try that. Also have tried indoors and outside thinking maybe the lighting wasn't good enough indoors!
I've also tried using a 15 inch TV monitor that doesn't require the video converter and the picture is still terrible, no different to the computer monitor.

Parts I've got are:
FOXTECH 5.8G 200mw tx/rx
FH 32 HQ1 540 tvl day/night camera PAL
(Image Sensor: 1 / 3 "SONY Super HAD CCD / Effective Pixels: PAL: 792 (H) × 698 (V) / Sensing Area: 4.8mm × 3.6mm / Signal System: PAL / NTSC / Horizontal Resolution: 540 TV lines / Minimum illumination: 0.2Lux/F1.2 )

Thanks
Tim.
plus4 is offline Find More Posts by plus4
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:01 AM
Discovery
Joined Apr 2012
223 Posts
Could you show us a picture of the image displaying on the monitor,

also pay attention to the channels of this kit, as they are a bit funky to guess
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1587277

Be sure the rx and tx are on the same channel
ulkar is offline Find More Posts by ulkar
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:29 PM
cadmac
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2011
20 Posts
if you enlarge this photo its exactly the image I'm getting, thanks for your help..........
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:33 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,075 Posts
I think that's just because it's dark in your room.

EDIT: OK I see where you're saying it's the same in brighter light outside.... I'm concerned about "video to vga converter" though... this sounds like potentially a lossy/noisy device.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Last edited by jasmine2501; Nov 13, 2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:36 PM
Aalesund, Norway
Joined Jun 2012
315 Posts
Check all your video connections carefully. And if your camera came with an OSD to do adjustments to your picture, try different settings or reset,
Just relax, you will get a much better picture than this.
daggad is offline Find More Posts by daggad
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:17 PM
FPV'r
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined May 2011
1,048 Posts
connect video from vRx direct to a TV to see how that looks...
if still bad, connect video from camera direct to a TV to see how that looks...
ror1 is offline Find More Posts by ror1
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:17 PM
cadmac
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2011
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ror1 View Post
connect video from vRx direct to a TV to see how that looks...
if still bad, connect video from camera direct to a TV to see how that looks...
Connecting the vRx direct to the TV didn't make any difference, how do I connect the camera directly to the monitor? (not sure how to make the connection)
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:28 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
4,214 Posts
Go to a more brightly lit room, or better yet outside in sunlight. To me it looks more like a camera problem.

This is part of FPV, having video problems and learning how to diagnose, fix and prevent these problems. I suffered with bad camera for half a year before I clued in and got a good cam - curiously the cam I really like and use costs less than the one you have.
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:34 PM
FPV'r
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined May 2011
1,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plus4 View Post
Connecting the vRx direct to the TV didn't make any difference, how do I connect the camera directly to the monitor? (not sure how to make the connection)
from camera is signal and ground, just connect that to video in on TV
ror1 is offline Find More Posts by ror1
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:32 PM
cadmac
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2011
20 Posts
Yippee problem solved, not enough voltage to the vTx.

The packaging that the vTx came in suggested a voltage range of 7v – 12v, so thinking I'd try to keep the weight down in the air I was powering it with a 2S lipo.

What the packaging doesn't say is that the camera takes 0.5v, so not quite enough left for the vTx. I only discovered my mistake as I 'inadvertently' have just plugged a 3S lipo onto the vTx and hey presto – perfect picture.

Just been to the manufacturers website again and spotted this for the first time:

“The receiver's power input is ranging from 8v – 12v, dual AV output is supported.
The transmitter's power input is ranging from 7v – 12v, however the voltage outputting from the Tx for the camera 0.5v lower than the input power. It's suggested to use 3S lipo 11.1v battery”

Guys thank you all so much for all the help. I made a stupid beginners mistake, and should have known better!

Now I wonder what the next problem will be......................

Tim
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:42 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,075 Posts
Good find! The photo looks like "cold sensor" which is why I thought darkness was the issue... but low power can cause the same issue. Basically the sensor gets noisy.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501