SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:48 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Apr 2008
939 Posts
Another possibility is you have the low end rich. Cold engines need more fuel to start and yours starts good cold. A warm engine does not require as much fuel to start and if you are flooding the engine with a rich low end then it will need a starter and full throttle to get going. Check the plug color, if black try leaning the low end a little and see if it gets better. DLE20 will need more precise adjustments then a DLE55.

My DLE's all need choke to start and even after sitting for 10 minutes will need choke to restart. Also right after they start if I give them any throttle at all they will die. I need to let them warm up for 30 seconds before they will begin to take throttle. I know when I'm close on the low end when my engines do not take throttle when first started.

So if your DLE20 revs up the second it starts when cold your low end is somewhat rich.

DLE's have been very good to me so I'm hoping you find the issue.
Mikecam is offline Find More Posts by Mikecam
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:26 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Oct 2010
356 Posts
Ok, I reworked my tank, provided a floating pad for the gas tank (to reduce vibration), and replaced all lines with taigon. Motor started up cold and after a minute or two died and would not start. It was not running well so I think it's rich right now. We took apart the carb and cleaned it out but there was no smoking gun. Everything looked ok. I'm the belief that there's a leak somewhere. At least it's reproduceable.
mnavarro is offline Find More Posts by mnavarro
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:25 PM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,476 Posts
Mine will do that on occasion. Last time out I fired it up and somebody came up to me and started asking about it before I got a chance to get the rpms up. It faded out and quit. I finished the conversation and tried to restart - and it wouldn't. I pulled the plug and let it sit for about 20 minutes watching others fly, something I've done other times after flooding it for one reason or another (like leaving the switch turned off...). Put the plug back in and it started on the first flip. It was way rich. That's mine though...
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:22 PM
"Hey yall watch this"...
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Aug 2012
73 Posts
Iv seen these "carbs boil over", for about 3.00 u can get a little w shaped tool that makes sure the metering needle inside the carb is set at the right height, if the metering needle is not set right it makes it a pain to tune. If its to high the diaphram will hold it open and can flood the engine, if set to low it can cause it to run lean. A while back I had one that after it heated up and u shut it off u could see fuel coming out of the main jet in the carb from the fuel boiling. Other than that I'd try wat one other has said with brake clean spraying around while running to see if u can hear the engine change speed. Hope this helps.
Planecraazy is offline Find More Posts by Planecraazy
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:41 PM
Joined Oct 2010
356 Posts
So, I'm waiting for a new plug but I think I'm sending it back to Redwing. I voided the warranty (on the carb?) because I opened it up to check filters (which i think is silly) but I'm more interested in just getting it running good.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:54 PM
Joined Oct 2010
356 Posts
Actually because I voided my warranty by checking my Filter in the carb, which is BS, I think I'm going to just buy a new carb from Tower Hobbies for $35 because Redwing was going to Charge me 20-30 to look at it + shipping, and get it back in 2-3 weeks. If there are any issues I can just return it and use there service. Obviously I can still have a problem but at least I will have a backup.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:07 PM
Joined Nov 2012
219 Posts
Check the reed block for poor reed seating
Machzx is offline Find More Posts by Machzx
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:49 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,397 Posts
Be sure to tell us what is found. As several have pointed out various things that could be the problem, It is of interest to those who have followed the thread to know the cause.

While there are some general characteristics of these gas engines such as choke until pop and then choke off until start when cold, I do see differing reactions after the first flight of the day. My Zenoah's usually require choking when restarting for subsequent flights. I've a JC-28 and an MLD-35 however that start the first flip on subsequent flights with no choking.

An engine with electronic ignition that requires a starter is not typical, whether cold, warm or hot.
AA5BY is offline Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:36 AM
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2006
1,689 Posts
Had a friend at the field start to have idle problems with his DLE. Found a loose screw on the butterfly allowing the butterfly valve to wiggle. He tightened it up using a little Loctite. Gave is 20 so minutes and then flew it. No more idle problems. It appears to be a great running engine.
Chip01 is offline Find More Posts by Chip01
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:22 AM
USA, CA, Santee
Joined Jul 2002
323 Posts
There's a warning on most Locktite bottles that says "do not use on plastic". Loctite will deteriorate plastic parts, should use CA to hold screws in plastic.
S3NFO is offline Find More Posts by S3NFO
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:04 AM
Joined Aug 2008
1,476 Posts
The butterfly, shaft, and screw are all metal.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:52 AM
USA, CA, Santee
Joined Jul 2002
323 Posts
Interesting, you must have a different DLE-20 than I do then, on the 6 DLE-20's that I own the butterfly is fiberglass and the pyramid is plastic.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:59 AM
Joined Aug 2008
1,476 Posts
Maybe some confusion regarding subject at hand on one of our parts. I was thinking carb, sounds like you might be thinking reed block?
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:41 AM
USA, CA, Santee
Joined Jul 2002
323 Posts
Yep, I was confused, I thought you were referring to the fiberglass reed as the "butterfly" and totally missed the carb butterfly..........
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:00 AM
Illegitimi non carborundum
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2011
1,503 Posts
At the end of this season I had some trouble getting my DLE 20 to run smoothly. Over the winter I will ensure the reed valves are seating properly and replace the stock ring with one from Frank Bowman (ordered today). In the spring I'll start over.
grosbeak is offline Find More Posts by grosbeak
Last edited by grosbeak; Dec 08, 2012 at 10:07 AM.