HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:04 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,800 Posts
On my tricopter the tail thrust goes to hell for some reason whenever I gun throttle once.
Have you tried a KK2.0 controller? The one with the LCD on it.

Also I just got a mail back from timecop, the "barometer indicator" led actually is the status indicator.
So you'll be able to see if its armed and see whats going on with ACC trimming after all.
Freakazoid is offline Find More Posts by Freakazoid
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:08 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
I haven't, no. I'm not going to re-build the tricopter anytime soon though. I only have one KK2 and I already have that one on this frame:

DJI F330 bashing + crashes (2 min 1 sec)

Yes, I fly like a freaking drunk in this one. I suck at LOS flying and I was practicing some moves I've seen in Warthox videos. Ahem. That reminds me, I gotta order more arms. I'm down to the last one now. (Watch in 720p and fullscreen, otherwise you won't see much. I should've set the camera to R5)
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:57 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacArell View Post
Hi, what is your Flight Controller, because i don't find micro-naze32 on the web
There is lots of info on this thread about this FC, why don't you read it?
ABLomas is online now Find More Posts by ABLomas
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:24 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
Yeahhh, I've tried several different flight controllers and firmwares. I always had the same problem with the tail, after a quick flick of the stick towards full throttle, the tail suddenly starts to drift badly. So bad that it is absolutely unflyable and I have to disconnect and reconnect the battery to fix it. I have no idea what the culprit is... Could be the ESCs since they're of the plug-and-play variety.
I would think after several different FW then its probably hardware, maybe your servo can't cope with the power of WOT?
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:43 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Nah, I don't think so. I used an HXT900 first, then some other Turnigy servo that could pull at least 2 kilos. It was also metal-geared. As soon as I went full throttle, even for a fraction of a second, the uncontrollable drift started. But only on the pitch axis, and only against the back motor. It's almost as if the pitch gain is suddenly dropped to almost zero and it won't hold the angle. Maybe new ESCs or a Multiwii board would fix this, but I don't have anything to test with right now. Also, I use the same kind of ESC on my Y6 and that thing does not drift if I punch it.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:51 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Nah, I don't think so. I used an HXT900 first, then some other Turnigy servo that could pull at least 2 kilos. It was also metal-geared. As soon as I went full throttle, even for a fraction of a second, the uncontrollable drift started. But only on the pitch axis, and only against the back motor. It's almost as if the pitch gain is suddenly dropped to almost zero and it won't hold the angle. Maybe new ESCs or a Multiwii board would fix this, but I don't have anything to test with right now. Also, I use the same kind of ESC on my Y6 and that thing does not drift if I punch it.
It does kinda feel like you overloaded the ESC or motor and started having a drop in power. If you just held the unit in your hand/stand and WOT does it sound like it's hiccuping or skipping when you go WOT? Maybe there is a dodgy connection in one of the motor legs.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:02 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,800 Posts
The sudden "drop in pressure" from the back motor isnt just when the motors are going WOT.
This weird behavior remains even after you take it down from WOT and have it in a hover.
Its like once you WOT, the pitch trim gets yanked back by a ton.
I usually counter it on the go by banging that trim back to where its semi ok again,
but it certainly is a stupid bug that annoys the crap out of me and it seems also wiseduck.

And ha, thats neat little frame, and dont feel bad about hitting the ground, I HATE ceilings, too!
(Id rather hit the floor than the ceiling. )
Freakazoid is offline Find More Posts by Freakazoid
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:14 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:

Yes, I fly like a freaking drunk in this one. I suck at LOS flying and I was practicing some moves I've seen in Warthox videos. Ahem. That reminds me, I gotta order more arms. I'm down to the last one now. (Watch in 720p and fullscreen, otherwise you won't see much. I should've set the camera to R5)
I'm still trying to get the moves down for flips ( more like giant, ungraceful, rolls at this point ). I just can't get the throttle trick down yet. The fact that you can do anything is a room that size is impressive to me.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:13 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Ok, starting a build list for a 1s indoor flyer.

Frame: I'll cut a CF plate.
FC: Afto-mini
Rx: One of the mini FrSky's with PPM that I can strip
Probably pick up a 5v boost or a regular BEC.
ESC: Super micro 3.5a, I have everything needed to flash these over to blheli

Motors, Props: ??

What's the consensus for 1s motors and props, it looks like my options are limited and the 2g 7700kV with 2.5 or 3" props are the most common. ecalc hates doing numbers for 1s or for 3x2 props since it keeps telling me "stall warning".

Are the props just press on, do I need anything to attach them?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:25 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Seems like these are press-on props. The shaft is 1mm, I've never seen any collet adapters for motor shafts that small. I'm still waiting on my shipment from a number of different places, I still need to make a program I can run on the mill here. Unless Freakazoid can provide me with a frame to start with.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:43 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
I was just planning on jig/scroll saw for my frame, probably use the same idea as my other frames where the X is formed with two long and identical arms. I thought they might be press on, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything obvious.

What about LED's, obviously I can't just strap some 12v strips to this thing, I figure I'll have to wire up one or two individual lights for each arm. They should be wired into the lipo and not the 5v, correct?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:11 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Honestly, I don't know. I actually ordered a whole set of LEDs from this place: http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1073

I don't know what kind of voltage they run on, I guess I'll find out later. :P I just need one tiny led per leg for orientation. Maybe I can hook them up to the positive and negative on the ESCs which sit on each arm.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:19 AM
serial scratchbuilder
Canada, BC, Mission
Joined Sep 2012
1,319 Posts
Quote:
Honestly, I don't know. I actually ordered a whole set of LEDs from this place: http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1073

I don't know what kind of voltage they run on, I guess I'll find out later. :P I just need one tiny led per leg for orientation. Maybe I can hook them up to the positive and negative on the ESCs which sit on each arm.
http://ledcalc.com/
Granted is online now Find More Posts by Granted
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:23 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
I was thinking of using magnet wire for wiring up the ESC's and led's.

http://www.hacksmods.com/?s=magnet+wire&submit=

Quote:
I like to use the magnet wire because it’s cheap, lightweight and it’s coating looks like anodized metal.

One final trick, for aesthetics, I will use the same color for positive and negative. To keep track of the polarity, I simply mark the each ends of the negative wire with a black sharpie so I properly solder it to the negative terminal. Twisted togther, they looks like an performance “upgrade.” The cooler looking it is…the faster it goes.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:48 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granted View Post
Things suddenly got complicated. In that case I won't bother with the leds.