Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:02 AM
Droner
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, CPH
Joined Mar 2006
2,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
Welp, skit. Or damnit.

Anyhow, got any guides for flashing these things? I'd like to read it. I doubt I'll be able to do it though.

EDIT: Alright, been reading up on flashing Silabs ESCs, seems like you only need three pins to do this. I see two free solder pads on the supermicro ESCs. If this is all you need to do, then I can definitely do it. Time to order the Silabs USB thingie.

Like you said, the guy who made the pico-quads only hovers around in his room, I want to do more than that. I mean, hovering around is what I do with the brushed micro-quads I have, that gets old fast.

Let's go!
SebastianJ is offline Find More Posts by SebastianJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:28 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
About the pads. I assume they're for programming, but which one is which? As for ground, do you simply hook up that one to any of the two ground pins found on the ESC?

Are there any alternatives to the rather expensive Silabs programming stick?

EDIT: And once again, with a bit of Googling, I found all the info I need. Now to wait for the slow boat from China to arrive..
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:22 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,820 Posts
Any thoughts on the slightly bigger turnigy ESCs?
They have the same problems?
Surely hope not. -_-
Freakazoid is offline Find More Posts by Freakazoid
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:34 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
Any news on your frame? How big is the sheet you mill it out of? I'm still not sure if a 100x100mm sheet will work. How big are the motor holes? I could make a frame now if I wanted to, just as a test. I have one almost untouched piece of CF at home I could use, but its 2mm thick and has a couple of holes in it already. But these holes are near the corners, so if I'm lucky I can simply enlarge these with a drill bit and hey presto, motor mounts, done!

EDIT: Har har, we're both walking into this blind, aren't we? I hope your config is a good one since I bought the exact same gear, except for a few things here and there. Ah whatever, it's winter, it's fun to sit indoors and experiment a little. :P
Last edited by WiseDuck; Dec 03, 2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:06 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,820 Posts
100x100mm is big enough for either 2.5" or 3" prop model, just be aware of where your clamps go.
I used a mere 1mm sheet, which seems rigid as a brick, so I personally wouldnt make it too thick.
Its only 12.5cm and will only carry 40 grams after all.

Motor holes should be 3.5mm, I had to rat tail them a little but now the motors are prettymuch push fit.
They should be tight enough to stay put with a dab of rubber cement,
because again, Its not like there will be 2 pounds hanging on them.

And yup, crapping together your own craft is mostly pioneerwork.
I just hope ill get lucky once, my mini bicopter project already failed miserably.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:16 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
Alright, good to hear. I'll have a look at what I have at home, see if I can't make one frame this week. What is the motor-to-motor distance? If I can drill the motor holes first it should be quite simple to hold it steady while the rest of the frame is milled.

I think the most difficult part will be all the wire routing, soldering etc. It'll take some work to make it look neat and tidy.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:57 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,820 Posts
Good idea, just bolt it down on the motormounts. Motor to motor diagonally is 110mm.

And yeah, Its an addiction really, this microquad will be my 12th multicopter,
and number 13, a bicopter, is already coming in through the mail.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:19 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
While not quite a multicopter, I am very interested in buying an Ornithopter. They look so freaking cool! Sadly, they're also somewhat expensive. :P I have about 6-7 multis right now, but only a few are flyable. I move parts around a lot, I always find something I'm not happy with.

Like my Crab25, it looks great, but I noticed earlier this week that the 2S Lipo I use with it just doesn't have enough punch. Full throttle was pathetic, the thing just stalled when I tried to punch it. So I need to find some high-C 2S lipos or just step up to a high-C 1000mah 3S lipo instead.

Anyhow... 110mm diagonally huh? Alright, then I have something to work with.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:36 AM
France, Midi-Pyrénées, Toulouse
Joined Oct 2011
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABLomas View Post
D4FR is less than 2g without case. I would call this "micro"....
RX+micro-naze32 combined:
Hi, what is your Flight Controller, because i don't find micro-naze32 on the web
MacArell is offline Find More Posts by MacArell
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:47 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
While not quite a multicopter, I am very interested in buying an Ornithopter. They look so freaking cool! Sadly, they're also somewhat expensive. :P I have about 6-7 multis right now, but only a few are flyable. I move parts around a lot, I always find something I'm not happy with.

Like my Crab25, it looks great, but I noticed earlier this week that the 2S Lipo I use with it just doesn't have enough punch. Full throttle was pathetic, the thing just stalled when I tried to punch it. So I need to find some high-C 2S lipos or just step up to a high-C 1000mah 3S lipo instead.

Anyhow... 110mm diagonally huh? Alright, then I have something to work with.
Ornithopters, parashute gliders, that are the two things still on my bucketlist.
Sadly the ornithopters all tend to be a bit fragile, so untill one gets made thats tonka tough, im gonna hold off.

And a crab25, man, shove a 3s 1000mAh 60C nanotech pack up its piehole and stand back!
This was the first quad I literally had stuck on my ceiling. Throttle on 3s is absolutely redonkilous.
I'm genuinely afraid of opening it up once the weather outside clears a bit, this thing is nuts.
I really have to put an expo curve on that thing or I cant keep it still.

Im not even counting the quads ive built and tuned in for people who just bring me a box of bits.
Some people already started calling me Dr octavious. Cause "what kind of multi armed thing have you brought this time".
And what I tend to do is build a quad, belt it around the field while making my friends drool over it until im bored, then one of em gets to buy it from me.
I'm spreading multicopters around at my club like a disease and im darn proud of it!

And its an Afro-mini, MacArell.
Its not in shops but he still sells em. (mail him, info@hikarisoft.com)
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:02 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
I can only find a 45C Nanotech right now, but that's a lot more than the quad will ever pull. I think the motors pull less than 6 amps at full throttle. My 2S lipo was only able to provde 20A, at most, but it sagged so much the thing only gained 20-30cm altitude per second. Compared to my F330 with the 45C 850mah 4S lipos, which almost hits the ceiling of the huge sports hall if I go full throttle for 0.3 seconds. :P
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:07 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,820 Posts
Yeah 2 cell is a mistake on these motors, feed em 3s and make sure the voltage stays up there,
and you'll be flying a miniature F330 with this little bugger.
I'm gonna stick 160cm (48 LEDS) strips on mine soon, just to be able to see it go off outside.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:12 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
2S was fine on the little crab tricopter, but for some reason I got some insane gyro drift whenever I went full throttle. I had to restart it to get rid of the drift, that seriously ruined that thing. It was great for flying around slowly and it was impossible to break.

I've got some more shopping to do it seems. That nanotech lipo, Arduino Nano för flashing Silab ESCs, more pins, wires and plugs, some kind of black, thin shrinkwrap for the Supermicro ESCs, 5v booster from Pololu, random assortment of LEDs for some kind of navigation light etc. I'm sure I can think of more things.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:42 PM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,820 Posts
The tail becoming 10 pounds heavier all of a sudden after a burst of speed?!
I thought that only happened to my tricopter! I wonder if I can fix that by getting a KK2.0 for it though,
because that thing is awesome to fly.

In other news ive shot timecop an email asking about his progress on a new firmware build that would let you change the LED index to whatever you want.
Because as it is now, trimming the ACC sensor is completely blind (no beeps, no flashes).
Would be nice if we could reassign the current "barometer indicator" to be the regular signal light.
It would make this board perfect in my view.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:44 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
Yeahhh, I've tried several different flight controllers and firmwares. I always had the same problem with the tail, after a quick flick of the stick towards full throttle, the tail suddenly starts to drift badly. So bad that it is absolutely unflyable and I have to disconnect and reconnect the battery to fix it. I have no idea what the culprit is... Could be the ESCs since they're of the plug-and-play variety.