HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:03 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Does increasing dampening have any negative effects on the motor/prop hardware? I wonder if using higher dampening would help acrobatic flight.

Oh and thanks for the FW sskaug!
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:25 PM
Joined Dec 2009
362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
Retardation? Are you talking about decelleration here? These were set to light dampening, i.e. stock settings. All I did was set the timing to medium high except on one which is set to high and can't be changed anymore. I assume that the AP03 motor will be even faster, but then again, it will swing a bigger prop. (3020)
Retardation... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retardation#In_engineering
Please beware that there is no damping unless "pwm frequency" is set to "damped" or "damped light". Only then will the "damping force" control have any effect.
sskaug is offline Find More Posts by sskaug
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:34 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Alright. I guess I will have to experiment a bit later. I'm done for today, it's late. Won't be able to work on anything until I get that CF sheet anyways.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:41 PM
Joined Dec 2009
362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Does increasing dampening have any negative effects on the motor/prop hardware? I wonder if using higher dampening would help acrobatic flight.

Oh and thanks for the FW sskaug!
Thanks! The primary negative effect is probably that motor efficiency will be slightly lower. It could (should) help in hard maneuvers (like flips). I have not yet done that on multicopters, but for a heli tail damping gives much more precise piro stops.
sskaug is offline Find More Posts by sskaug
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:49 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
I'll have to give it a try, it should have a positive effect if it helps improve the accuracy of the control changes.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:00 PM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,791 Posts
Whoo well atleast now we know the ESCs CAN be nippier now, thanks for showing us that, Wiseduck.
Do you feel its got enough responsiveness to let you whip the quad around well enough to get a little funky?
Id like to see what happens with that dampening on it.

Lots of vibration btw, whatsup with that?

That hexapod looks damn hexellent, Eric!
Im surprised the controller boards have gotten somuch cheaper,
last time I visited lynxmotion I ran away screaming.
Freakazoid is offline Find More Posts by Freakazoid
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:03 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
What do you think? :P Unbalanced bells and props that haven't been drilled straight. Bad QC all around. I could not be arsed to balance the prop more than that, it was good enough for this test. I think they should be good enough to get a somewhat agile quad. I hope the AP03 motors will be even better. Time to draw a new frame...

I just ordered AP03 motors along with even more props and other random things. Oh, and another CF sheet from the UK. Express shipping on everything because I do NOT want to wait another 3 weeks before I can get started with this project.

Last purchase for this month, I gotta put away at least 200 bucks this month. Haven't done that in quite some time now... Damn this hobby!
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:10 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
I was afraid of that with the little 2g motors. I doubt the bearings or shaft is servicable either.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:16 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Ha, according to people who have taken them apart, they don't even have bearings. They use bushings! And that's obviously no good. The bell wobbles on three of my four motors. On one it wobbles A LOT. The one in the video. I can actually use my finger and move the bell slightly. I can make it wobble a bit less or even more by simply pushing on it a bit. Not good, not good at all.

So these might work on small indoor foamies. But on a quad I want something better.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:17 PM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,737 Posts
I like my little one..
Dialfonzo is online now Find More Posts by Dialfonzo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DiaLFonZo-Copter - Announcement
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:41 PM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,791 Posts
Heheh whoo boy, what have I gotten myself into eh?
Im gonna sit this one out for now and see what happens with your experiments.
If it really turns out delicious like we hope, ill follow suit and monkey see monkey do.
Because im not gonna blow another 75 bucks without some sort of a guarantee.

Plus im gonna need the money for some hunter frames, right Eric? *nudge nudge*
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:34 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Long time no post, I was waiting for one last part... The carbon fiber sheet! Even though I ordered it from the UK it took freaking forever for it to get here. The Galaxy Note 2 case only took 3 days to get here, strange. So yeah. Royal Mail > Generic Air Mail.

Anyhow, I guess this is attempt number two. I have a frame design in mind already, me and my father finished it in Solidworks a couple of days ago. However, the 32mm hole pattern that was mentioned on Hobbyking? 32mm my ass! It's not even close to that, where the HECK did that guy get that number? Look at this! If I wanted to I could just glue the damn thing to my current frame and I'm done. But no, I want to do this properly. Real mount holes and everything.. I doubt I'll use real screws and nuts though, they would increase the weight by a lot. And there are no M1.5 nylon screws and nuts out there as far as I know. So I might just glue these down until I can find some nylon hardware that'll fit.

Here's what I have right now. So now that I know how much smaller the motors actually are, I need to redesign the arms, then generate a program. Expect to see a finished frame and whatnot before the end of the next weekend!

Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:22 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,791 Posts
Haha what the hell, those motors arent even half the size they advertise.
Thats lots more plausible then I was expecting it to be. Cant wait to see how that turns out.
Whats that tiny thing above the afroboard? Voltage booster? Nice and small looking. :P

As for me, well, any small stuff is out of the question for atleast another week or two.
Simply because I sliced my thumb on a giant glass vase that came flying down the stairwell,
and now im sitting here with a thumb wrapped with so many bandages it looks like a banana.

Try soldering a micro quad with that. Aint happening..
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:56 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Ouch. Maybe you can pinch the transmitter gimbals with your index and middle finger or something. :P But yeah, soldering is definitely out.

And yes, that is indeed a voltage booster. I'll use that between the receiver and FC, or between the receiver and battery. It can only put out 200ma, so I will only use it to keep the FC and receiver from dying mid-flight. I doubt that'll happen with such high-C batteries though, the battery can deliver a lot more than the motors will draw together at full throttle.

And yes, the motors are indeed much much smaller than expected which certainly bodes well for this project. It should be even easier to keep weight down now that I don't have to mill a frame that's much bigger than the current one. Heck, if I wanted to I could just use the one I have. A tiny bead of hot glue will keep the motor in place. Buut... I want a proper frame, so I won't use this one.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:35 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,791 Posts
I actually managed to solder something, believe it or not. Took only an hour to do a servo lead, but it got done. :')

For mounting the motors id say use some wooden skewers and a nub of glue, but I bet even those are too thick.
How do you plan on mounting the motors on your new frame?
Two 1mm holes for each loop, sew it on with some thread like a button, then a drop of CA glue?

Cant wait to see how these buggers will run on your ESC,
the slowness might even be partially the motors fault,
with the nasty bushings and whatnot?