HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:57 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
If things go according to plan, I should have a CF frame for all my bits and pieces on Saturday. Still waiting for that Arduino Nano so I can flash the damn ESCs...

How's it going with the ESCs? You'd think that they would work for this. I haven't tested mine on a motor yet, you need to solder the wires to it and I'd rather not do that right now.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:50 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,820 Posts
You mean my ESCs? They were a complete wash, too slow and I cant flash em because I cant deal with the ridiculously small IC legs.
I'm kinda hoping you can get yours to run properly, because frankly I dont know what else to do next.

I see you have mustered up a CF frame already, want me to shoot your money back?
I kinda promised something I couldn't hone up to im afraid. Stuff keeps coming up so I haven't had any CNC time.
Freakazoid is offline Find More Posts by Freakazoid
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:20 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
I can't re flash mine until I have that Arduino Nano.... I could try to solder up one motor to an EsC just to see if they work and how fast they react to throttle changes. As for the money... Sure. No rush though.

My CF frame isn't ready yet. I was going to cut it today but my relatives showed up so I've been busy all day.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:31 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,820 Posts
Id say see how the ESC does without flashing, it might have had a revision or something.
How are you planning on flashing it? Dont you need to solder like, 8 wires to the IC somehow?

And ha, that's been the story of my week, too.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:21 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Silicon labs ESCs only need three points, easy enough to do with a press and hold or clip on tool.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:59 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,820 Posts
Oh ha, well thats a whole lot less annoying and definitely doable.
Hey wiseduck, if you manage it with a clip or something,
could you cook me up a set too?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:30 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Indeed. Three points and two of them are easy to reach pads right next to the CPU. I'll see if I can get something done this evening. I've been busy all day. I just spent 3 hours with the RC club. Good times!
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:57 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Just tested the motor with one of the Supermicro ESCs. Not the fastest thing in the world, but Im sure it would fly with these. Still dont have a frame though...

From 0 to 100 it takes about a second, so its not like SimonK ESCs that react super fast.

Wiring it up was a bit of a pain, it needs to power up at the same time as the receiver. So I had to parallel up the two. So on the final build I need a power spider that splits at one point, one goes off to the motors, another goes off to the 5v booster to keep the voltage to the receiver at a constant 5v. As for the 5v booster, how is that wired up anyways?

EDIT: I also have one of these, just as a backup. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r_for_BEC.html It's a bit heavy though.
Last edited by WiseDuck; Dec 25, 2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:21 PM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,820 Posts
Hmm 1 second is still a wee bit sluggish, acrobatic flight would be a no.
But flashing it would supposedly speed it up?

Depending on what RX you have, it should actually be ok with straight up 1s power supply.
I know my assan receiver is ok with 2.8v so it should be fine without booster.
I do have the exact same one already in my drawer though, just in case.
Because the controller board might not like it that low.

Personally im a little on the fence about all this now. Buying 40 bucks worth of new ESCs,
or grabbing one of those cheap hubsan x4's that seem to be insanely good.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:45 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Well, if the only goal was to get another tiny quad and nothing else, then I'd be done already because I have one of those small WLToys 939 quads and also another one from another brand. I'm doing this so I have something to call my own, also, brushless motors, many many sensors and full range! And a custom made CF frame if everything goes according to plan.

Anyhow, where do I find the drivers for the Afro Mini? Mine shows up as an unrecognized device.. The Naze32 manual doesn't mention any drivers.

EDIT: Oh wait, derp, it wants the FTDI drivers. It's the Hobbyking FTDI thing, it doesn't say unrecognized, it says "malfunctioned". Hm.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:32 PM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,820 Posts
Well to be entirely fair the hubsan x4 is about half that size and scrappy as hell.
hubsan x4 in wind (2 min 8 sec)

But yeah, making something yourself is much more rewarding.

And I looked it up for you, this should be the driver you need: http://www.devid.info/download/27525/24
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:41 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
The WLToys quad I have is around 10cm motor to motor, it doesnt need to be smaller than that. Its already hard enough to see. :P

Welp, seems like this is a dud or something... It's not a driver problem, I can't install the drivers. All I get is "device has malfunctioned" and that's that. DAMNIT!

EDIT: The TX/RX lights flash when I plug it in. Three times, then they just die.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:46 PM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,820 Posts
Heh. Figures.
I assume you got the same small hookshaped mini-usb thing I have?
Are you running windows 7 as well? I could try and package/mail my drivers for you since mine works?

Lets face it, the smaller the quad gets, the bigger the gremlins are.

And for me its doing flips in my workshop or dont bother at all.
Ive got enough random gently floating toys already,
this time I want one thats gimbals to the wall.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:48 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
No matter what I try, windows won't update the drivers for this "unknown device". But sure, send the drivers via email if you can. :P
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:49 PM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,820 Posts
Send me your mail thingy through PM while I fetch the drivers for you.