HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:11 AM
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2008
1,103 Posts
Discussion
HK KK2.0 Auto Level Problems Or Setup Issues

I'm having an issue with the Auto Level feature on my KK2.0 board flashed with original FW 1.2 and 1.4. I've tried many tips and tricks but for what ever reason the quad wants to drift very hard when auto level is engaged . Just curious if anyone else is having the drift issue.

Secondly what have you done to correct the problem. I will post some video tomorrow.

on 1.4 FW you can see if the board is level if not you can level it before you calibrate. I used a level. Set settings to 0 and then ran calibration. It seems for the first few seconds I can hover the quad no problem but after a short period it wants to start to drift hard. Here are a couple of pics of my setup any help would be greatly appreciated.
Fidy$Trainer is online now Find More Posts by Fidy$Trainer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:48 AM
Australia, VIC, Frankston
Joined Jul 2012
331 Posts
It's funny you mention this but i also have the exact same problem, it's been fine nut then all of a sudden mine started pitching forward a lot when auto level is engaged, i don't really use auto level too much and seeing as i'd just ordered the cable to update my firmware i just brushed it off thinking when i update it to 1.4 it will be fixed.

Iv'e been using mine for a good 2 months now and i can't remember when it started, it wasn't long ago, i though maybe i'd done something to cause it in the settings but as far as i know i haven't.

I'll be updating the firmware this weekend so hopefully i can see if it's fixed the issue or not?.
CH33ZEBURG3R is offline Find More Posts by CH33ZEBURG3R
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:10 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Sep 2006
138 Posts
I have the same problem. Just received my kk2 board today and flashed it to firmware version 1.5 . I can fly fine in normal mode but self level causes it to drift hard in the forward direction and a bit to the side.

I have tried the following things with no success:

- stick centering, had to adjust subtrim by about 50 units to get all zeros
- esc calibration
- checking the center of gravity
- airplane mode (turnigy 9x)
- all props and motors spinning correctly (quad in x mode):
- M1: top left, clockwise, reverse prop
- M2: top right, counter clockwise, normal prop
- M3: bottom right, clockwise, reverse prop
- M4: bottom left, counter clockwise, normal prop
- props reasonably balanced

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong and it hurts me reading the main KK2 thread because every second post describes how much fun people are having with the new self level code.
LegendLength is offline Find More Posts by LegendLength
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:36 AM
Australia, VIC, Frankston
Joined Jul 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendLength View Post
I have the same problem. Just received my kk2 board today and flashed it to firmware version 1.5 . I can fly fine in normal mode but self level causes it to drift hard in the forward direction and a bit to the side
Exactly like mine does, and i know its not my props, esc's etc as Auto level was working fine before, so i don't know what is is and i'm still on the original firmware at the moment.
CH33ZEBURG3R is offline Find More Posts by CH33ZEBURG3R
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:53 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
You can not compare auto level between 1.2 and 1.4+ are totally different. The code now actually uses the acc for feedback.

People with self-level pitching strong in a particular direction it is not normal behavior and we need to determine where the error occurs. Is it a code bug, a bad flash, setup error, or something else. The fact is that the vast majority of self level users are seeing substantial improvement in behavior with the new code.

We do know that there is gyro bias that can cause problems, often due to temperature change, but that is something that comes on slowly, not right on takeoff.

Can people experiencing serious issues post the numbers from the debug screen related to acc and gyro? That might help narrow down the issue. Please from 1.4 or 1.5 only.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:56 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Sep 2006
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Can people experiencing serious issues post the numbers from the debug screen related to acc and gyro? That might help narrow down the issue. Please from 1.4 or 1.5 only.
I have 1.5 firmware but pressing debug menu does nothing. Do I have to fly it for a certain time or in a certain mode for a while first?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:08 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendLength View Post
I have 1.5 firmware but pressing debug menu does nothing. Do I have to fly it for a certain time or in a certain mode for a while first?
Just flashed up to 1.5 from the kkflashing tool and experiencing the same issue. Can you flash back to 1.4 and see if the problem persists? I wonder if a bad hex got into the repository.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:09 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Sep 2006
138 Posts
Tried 1.2 exact same error, didn't try 1.4 yet.

I'm uploading a video just to show, it's kind of bad quality unforunately.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:56 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Crap, debug menu is dead in 1.5 intentionally. There is not enough code space for that and gimbal support. I would suggest people having trouble use 1.4 while we are tracking down the issue so we can get the debugging information.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:06 AM
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2008
1,103 Posts
What a relief to not be the only one expericieng this issue AL hard Drif issue. I felt like I was going crazy. CHEEZBURGER flashing up wont help. As I had the original FW then went to 1.4 had drift problem on AL then went to 1.2 same issue then went to 1.4 again have the same issues. Someone suggested that it may be the foam encasement and that the board is not perfectly level to the frame when calibrating but mine is level. Another point of note is that when self level is turned on for the first 20 seconds or so it seems to hover pretty well. As you move forward and backward and side to side then return back to middle is when I notice the hard drift come in and you have to hold the sticks. I'm wondering if my FC board is resting on the foam if somehow thier is interfierance from the foam that would interact with the pitch(elevator) gyro?

What are the DEBUG procedures. I'm running 1.4 and will post here ASAP.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:10 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Sep 2006
138 Posts
That's a good idea about using 1.4 for the debug.

I've done more testing and found that very liberal use of the ACC trimming does fix the problem mostly. I'm using values of -100 and +250 for pitch & roll.

It still requires constant input but is much easier than without autolevel. As I'm a noob it could be other things contributing to the instability like a bad build, bad skills so it's hard to say
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:18 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
As I have said before height dampening and self-level are not "hand off" tools. While some, very experienced people, have posted videos showing that behavior, that is the exception not the rule. If you want it to hover perfectly every time then buy a NAZA with GPS and be done with it. Piloting is not a hands off activity.

Even the slighted wind will cause drift, self-level will keep the unit level, not necessarily in one place if being acted upon by an outside force. Height dampening does modulate the throttle, but only within a narrow band and has no idea how high you are or should be.

I think some code cleanup on 1.5 may provide enough room to reenable debug, but that is a few days of programming and testing before I get there.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:18 AM
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2008
1,103 Posts
Here is what I'm going to do. Give me 30 minutes.
1) set factory wipe. (CHECK)
2) running 1.4 right now will reflash with 1.4 again. (CHECK)
3) Reconfigure quad. (CHECK)
4) level to zero and calibrate etc.... level reciver to 0, set to quad x etc...(CHECK) had to put some paper to lift right and right aft legs to zero out roll and pitch angles.
5) take photo of PRE Flight DEBUG (CHECK) first two pictures are right before flight.
6) Wait till it starts acting up then go back into DEBUG mode and capture the two screen shots.(CHECK) second two pictures of DEBUG after it was drifting. This time it was drifting hard left. Typically it wants to drift straight back now it's drifting hard left. No other settings modified or tweaked. AUTO LEVEL turned ON while flying.
Last edited by Fidy$Trainer; Nov 13, 2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:15 AM
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2008
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
As I have said before height dampening and self-level are not "hand off" tools. While some, very experienced people, have posted videos showing that behavior, that is the exception not the rule. If you want it to hover perfectly every time then buy a NAZA with GPS and be done with it. Piloting is not a hands off activity.

Even the slighted wind will cause drift, self-level will keep the unit level, not necessarily in one place if being acted upon by an outside force. Height dampening does modulate the throttle, but only within a narrow band and has no idea how high you are or should be.

I think some code cleanup on 1.5 may provide enough room to reenable debug, but that is a few days of programming and testing before I get there.
I dont think you understand what were saying. I'll have to take some video. The first 20 seconds of flight are fine QUAD is just floating around slight drift. You need to have hands on but minimal inputs. THEN for what ever reason it wants to DRIFT VERY HARD to one side. 70% drift in any particular direction. It's like someone hit a switch in Manual mode. It's NOT the same as the first 20 seconds of flight. It's totally unflyable in this way. Oh I'm not out side where wind is an issue. I'm in my foyer wery controlled space.

Here is an anaolgy. First 20 seconds of flight with AL turned on is like flying a coaxial helicopter just sits up there putzing around. Once it starts drifting it's like flying a collective pitch heli that's not trimmed. Now it's got your undived attention. Thats what this feels like. If anyone else can collaborate ??
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:12 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
No I understand, I just don't way people to think that hovering "hands off" within a few inches or even a foot is a reasonable standard for this board. What some are describing is an error, the trick will be identifying *where* it is occurring.