Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:28 PM
United States, VA, Forest
Joined Nov 2009
273 Posts
Update! The flight that I lost the prop on required it to be replaced with spinner, screw and all another day since I didn't have anymore spinners and screws. Well I installed a new one and fueled it up and turned the prop over only to discover I couldn't turn it over. I tore it down when I got home and found the connecting rod where it hooks to the crank was broken. No biggie. A new piston and cylinder had me back in the air this weekend for 5 more flights. I also tried the underhand launch and it worked great. I did this after an over hand launch resulted in fuel getting into my eyes (those darn coxs really spit fuel) and no way to stop it. Try flying a quick 1/2 A plane when you cannot half see. Another thing I have noticed, even as quick as this thing is, there is no power for much vertical. Guess a little prop turning high rpms is good for speed only. It is really fun all the same and since there were many members at the field this weekend (beautiful weather for Dec 1) most had never seen a 1/2 A fly so well. Most indicated that they never could get them to run.

John
Rubbernecker is offline Find More Posts by Rubbernecker
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:14 AM
Joined Dec 2003
786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbernecker View Post
Update! The flight that I lost the prop on required it to be replaced with spinner, screw and all another day since I didn't have anymore spinners and screws. Well I installed a new one and fueled it up and turned the prop over only to discover I couldn't turn it over. I tore it down when I got home and found the connecting rod where it hooks to the crank was broken. No biggie. A new piston and cylinder had me back in the air this weekend for 5 more flights. I also tried the underhand launch and it worked great. I did this after an over hand launch resulted in fuel getting into my eyes (those darn coxs really spit fuel) and no way to stop it. Try flying a quick 1/2 A plane when you cannot half see. Another thing I have noticed, even as quick as this thing is, there is no power for much vertical. Guess a little prop turning high rpms is good for speed only. It is really fun all the same and since there were many members at the field this weekend (beautiful weather for Dec 1) most had never seen a 1/2 A fly so well. Most indicated that they never could get them to run.

John
yeh not much vertical with a tee dee at the finish weight on the plans.

I am able to trim down my fuselage ( 1 ounce round tank and micro radio/small battery) and save some weight. The kit is also made from unnecessarily heavy wood so picking out lighter wood makes a big difference too. Also no gear. I add full span shear webs to the wing , 4 hold down bolts and gussets to the tail surfaces. I also increase my aileron size from 3/4' to 1 1/4' and it greatly increases roll rate and gives you much better slow speed handling( I never use duel rates). With a norvel .061 on crankcase pressure it has unlimited vertical.

I like the plane for its groovy/ smooth flying( symmetrical airfoil). It feels a lot different than the ace wing kits, GLH and other semi-symmetrical 1/2 A's.
robert harik is offline Find More Posts by robert harik
Last edited by robert harik; Dec 05, 2012 at 12:40 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:50 AM
United States, VA, Forest
Joined Nov 2009
273 Posts
Mine was scratch built and I believe auw is 16 oz. I used light gear and micro wheels. May try it with a Norvel????

John
Rubbernecker is offline Find More Posts by Rubbernecker