HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:29 PM
United States, VA, Forest
Joined Nov 2009
275 Posts
Discussion
Hummer

Well, I finally maidened my Hummer that I finished late last winter. Cannot believe I let it sit all summer. Guess I had this mental image of the one I built as a teenager w/full size radio gear snapping at launch and breaking everytime never flying. Anyway I got the TD 051 screaming and with 1/2 a tank of fuel, my flying buddy launched it. It left his hands perfectly level and a gentle climb. After getting some altitude, I put in about 3 clicks of down and wrung it out. Second flight was even better, it had a full tank this time. Am very impressed with it. Didn't get any video, may try next flight.

John
Rubbernecker is offline Find More Posts by Rubbernecker
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:44 PM
Canada, MB, Oakbank
Joined Dec 2004
670 Posts
Nice plane. Don't worry about the plane sitting all summer. My Hummer has been waiting for a flight for around 10 years plus. It was my first kit airplane built. Still at the slow flying high wing types.
NEW222 is offline Find More Posts by NEW222
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:53 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,816 Posts
Looks great John!
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:25 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,683 Posts
John - congrats on the successful first flight. That's a great looking build!

I too had the same issues of oversize radio in the one's I built back in the 80's along with the spongy landing gear. I still have a couple of sets of plans, I think a set of landing gear, the canopies and an unused TD .051 - it may make a good scratch build this winter. Lets see some video.....

Hogflyer
hogflyer is online now Find More Posts by hogflyer
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:45 PM
Joined Nov 2009
275 Posts
Thanks all.

Hogflyer, not sure if you just like scratch building, but Sig sells them for a good price. I cut mine out on a laser just to do it, but if I were to do another one, I would probably buy the kit. I have seen many 1/2 A short kits go for that price then you need to get plans, landing gear, canopy and any extra wood.

John
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:39 AM
Joined Jan 2008
538 Posts
Well done, Rbbernecker! I bet she flies as good as she looks.
Tee Bee is offline Find More Posts by Tee Bee
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:19 PM
United States, CO, Dacono
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
I picked one up from an estate sale that has a brushless motor, I almost didn't fly it because everyone said they were built for speed. The first flight was great, nice takeoff and level stable flight very predictable. I put skiis on it so I can fly it on my local soccer field this winter.
cherokeenut is offline Find More Posts by cherokeenut
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:44 AM
Joined Nov 2009
275 Posts
Doesn't fly as fast as some may think. Kinda boxey and wing isn't too thin. Nice pattern flying. My big issue with it is I don't like hand launching low wing planes. No place to hold except behing the wing. After I get some more time on it I may try an underhand lanuch like I have seen some combat fliers do. If weather is nice, I may to get in some more flights this weekend. I know I found out the hard way that it will snap with too much elevator control. First flight I hit high rates after the engine cut off and it snapped twice till I got real gentle on the stick. Second flight didn't go to high rates and didn't run out of elevator on landing.

John
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:45 PM
Joined Dec 2003
796 Posts
I bought a kit about 20 years ago and have since built 5 from the plans. Its about the best half A kit( performance wise) IF built light, that I have seen. I fly in fields, so I flip the fuse over when building so its a high wing and no landing gear( much easier to launch and the wing doesnt take the brunt on landings). I always use a micro radio and small battery and the last few have had norvel big mig 061. With the norvel the plane comes alive( will hang on the prop- 5/3-5/4 prop) and is much faster and better climb than the tee dee.
robert harik is offline Find More Posts by robert harik
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:58 PM
Newnan, GA
Joined Oct 2002
2,087 Posts
What a great looking airplane. She's a beaut. Congratulations on the successful maiden!
Matt Chester is offline Find More Posts by Matt Chester
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:09 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,737 Posts
Had one with a Goldens Bee; flew great. Sold it THE WEEK BEFORE A TEE DEE O51 WAS GIVEN TO ME. timing is everything.....<sob>

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:30 PM
Joined Nov 2009
275 Posts
O.K. here she is on Turkey Day. Weather was beautiful. The you tube is no where in quality of what I up loaded. Enjoy!

John

VID00080 (2 min 34 sec)
Last edited by Rubbernecker; Nov 23, 2012 at 12:31 PM. Reason: changed link
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:23 PM
United States, CO, Dacono
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
Fly's great! Don't you just hate photog comments?
cherokeenut is offline Find More Posts by cherokeenut
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:47 PM
Joined Jan 2008
538 Posts
Looks like my kind of fun. Nice vid.
Tee Bee is offline Find More Posts by Tee Bee
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:52 AM
Joined Nov 2009
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeenut View Post
Fly's great! Don't you just hate photog comments?
Naaa, sometimes they are actually pretty cool. My daugher answered her cell phone one time while videoing and it was comical. She was like " No not right now, I videoing my dad flying." It was just the tone she did it in and I can only imagine the look on the face of the person she was talking to.

Thanks for the nice comments. The next flight was much better, I leaned the engine out a little. You could hear on the first flight how rich it was. On the second flight about half way thru the run the engine cut off like you had killed the plug. No spit or sputter, just died. I lost the prop????? Didn't have anymore prop screws so that was it for the day. Am very inpressed with it thus far.

John