SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:21 AM
Good vibrations.
Joined Nov 2012
249 Posts
Cradle

Hi guys,

Here are some basic dimensions for the cradle that I use.

Regards,

DH
dynexhobby is offline Find More Posts by dynexhobby
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:09 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2002
921 Posts
Base

I will provide a base, thats very similar in design. It will have adapter cradles, for 55mm, 70mm, 90 mm. and 100mm, fans. All aluminum base and balance bar. Introductory price of $65, plus shipping, as long as I get a minimum of 10 orders. I can also provide other adapters for other fans.

Larry E.
SouthEast Model Products
Orlando, Fl.
LJE4357 is offline Find More Posts by LJE4357
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:06 AM
UK, Greater Manchester, Manchester
Joined Jul 2004
357 Posts
Well Done Dynex

Looks like I have finally got some competition after 5 years

Thats a novel way of mounting the fan unit I wonder what gave you that idea?
I am considering kitting the Bobsworkshop unit if there is enough interest.
Latest version below
Bob Blackburn is offline Find More Posts by Bob Blackburn
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:58 PM
Good vibrations.
Joined Nov 2012
249 Posts
Cradles

The Cradles are industry standard. See attached image. We found soft bearing cradles worked very well.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:15 AM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,085 Posts
nothing wrong with a little friendly competition!

Price war anyone? :P m seriously looking into one of these, and dynxhobby looks a bit more professorially done.
D_FAST is offline Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dassualt Alpha Jet
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:55 PM
Good vibrations.
Joined Nov 2012
249 Posts
New short kit

Hi guys,

We just released our new short kit. Only takes 10 minutes to assemble now.

http://dynexhobby.com/assembly.html

regards

DH
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:35 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,754 Posts
Dang!

THIS is the way to go! On top of all the pre-programmed software, I cannot wait to put this unit to work. Much easier than the saddled-up cellphone method
PikeStaff is online now Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Last edited by PikeStaff; Dec 01, 2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:11 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,309 Posts
With the balancer cradle..... the 'blue thing' used for inrunners.... is that just a foam block and is not critical to be isolated? Just something to rest the motor on?

And the 'black thing' used for outrunners looks like a cardboard box, again just to rest the fan housing on - no need to be isolated?

And the 'pivot bar', with 'soft springs'.... I guess you aim to centre the fan as best as possible, but it main aim is that it at least has some motion ability - not critical to be dead on 50% weight either side?

And then as per the manual, the sensor is going to be blue-tacked onto the top of the fan.

Those balancer cradle specs.. with the fan used there seemingly a 120mm fan (??)..... but I assume those same sort of cradle specs would still work fine for 90mm, 70mm, 64mm, and probably even down to 50mm ???

And.... LOL..... though it is an alloy 'box' for a base, it could probably be any solid support - like even a wooden block?? Though that might absorb a fraction of vibration, so the more rock solid the better?
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:48 AM
Patras, Greece
Joined May 2007
1,291 Posts
Subscribed
takiss is offline Find More Posts by takiss
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:30 AM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Joined Sep 2010
2,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
And.... LOL..... though it is an alloy 'box' for a base, it could probably be any solid support - like even a wooden block?? Though that might absorb a fraction of vibration, so the more rock solid the better?
Find a chunk of cast iron from any old source - that would be the best isolator you can find.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:59 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,193 Posts
Subscribed while waiting for my package to arrive!

tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:17 PM
Good vibrations.
Joined Nov 2012
249 Posts
Hi PeterVRC,

Yep the blue thing is a block of foam stiff enough to support the motor. The black thing for the outrunner is just a box lid (only shown for demonstration purposes). I would use the same blue foam for the outrunner setup (it just wasn't thick enough for the photo).

You want the fan to be centered on the pivot beam. The rest of the mass is supported by the blue foam.

The cradle picture has been used for fans 90mm to 125mm. For smaller fans you will need to change the springs to something softer. Strange enough, I balanced an EDF (50mm) by blue-tacking the shroud to a solid wood board (same width as EDF) and wrapping an elastic band around the fan and board. Seemed to work well but maybe I was just lucky on that occasion. Bottom line is you will need to explore the option that works best for your setup.

And yep my base is an alloy box. I wanted to use something anyone could buy off the shelf. The most important ting is to have a solid workbench to place it on and isolate the setup from the bench. I used a blue yoga mat, seemed to work for me.

good luck,

DH

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
With the balancer cradle..... the 'blue thing' used for inrunners.... is that just a foam block and is not critical to be isolated? Just something to rest the motor on?

And the 'black thing' used for outrunners looks like a cardboard box, again just to rest the fan housing on - no need to be isolated?

And the 'pivot bar', with 'soft springs'.... I guess you aim to centre the fan as best as possible, but it main aim is that it at least has some motion ability - not critical to be dead on 50% weight either side?

And then as per the manual, the sensor is going to be blue-tacked onto the top of the fan.

Those balancer cradle specs.. with the fan used there seemingly a 120mm fan (??)..... but I assume those same sort of cradle specs would still work fine for 90mm, 70mm, 64mm, and probably even down to 50mm ???

Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:17 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,628 Posts
Balancer arrived safely yesterday. Nice to get one of the first 10 fully assembled.

Looks like it works perfectly but of course my main PC has a mono mic input only and my workshop PC with a stereo in sound board just had a hard disk crash!

the iMic stereo adapter is on its way.

John
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:26 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Joined Sep 2010
2,754 Posts
Got mine last week, but wife impounded it immediately as a Christmas present....... so going to be a couple weeks before any testing can go.

Meh.....gives me time to build the base.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:29 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,309 Posts
OMG that is just bureaucratic inefficiency at work!! You better explain to her the ramifications of such short-sightedness.....
Planes could crash! They could hit people or property! Law suits could follow! Jail time! No income, wife and kids struggle... turn to crime.... the Butterfly Effect..... who knows how wide her actions could expand out to!!
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member