HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:59 PM
Joined Aug 2011
714 Posts
Discussion
Bonding nylon / delrin

I have a glider which has a plastic nose cone. I believe it to be nylon or a close cousin to nylon.

Is there an adhesive preferably a solvent type that can be used to fix some cracks?

Nothing bonds to the stuff. Not cyanos, hot glue, epoxy, silicone, even acetone doesnt touch it.
UlteriorModem is offline Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:15 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,477 Posts
I haven't found anything yet -I'm surprised it cracked. They usually just bend..
You might try a soldering iron and see if it'll "weld"....Try a little inside with some extra plastic from something else.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Sports
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:38 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,513 Posts
Try Goop from the hardware store.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:00 PM
USA, PA, Westmoreland Co.
Joined Aug 2008
1,291 Posts
how about pvc cement, like you would use for drainage pipes? or tenax 7R - that glues up plastics really nice
I wouldn't think delrin could be formed into a nose cone, unless its milled from a larger piece.
jonquinn is online now Find More Posts by jonquinn
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:00 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,513 Posts
I've used pipe glue and fiberglass cloth, it worked but stinks a lot while you're doing it.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:41 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,927 Posts
I've "welded" many a plastic item using a soldering iron. Everything from motorcycle fairings to riding mower grills. Glue in may cases, like yu found out, just won't stick.

Use the iron and place the tip across the crack until it melts and penetrates at least 3/4 of the thickness. After you made several stitches, go back and smooth it as best you can with the iron. Continue until the crack is closed. Try it on some scrap first to get the hang of it. Sand and apply filler and paint to make it look pretty.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:14 AM
Maryville, TN
Joined Dec 2007
8 Posts
Just a caution. Google "delrin and formaldehyde". Can give off nasty fumes when heated.
AL_T is offline Find More Posts by AL_T
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:57 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,316 Posts
Yep on the fumes. Do the soldering iron "welding" outside. Also the times I've fixed some motorcycle bits with heat welding I used a lamp dimmer wired into an extension cord that I made up years back as a heat controller so it's not TOO hot. You want to melt and form without making the plastic turn black.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews