402 Posts
nice flying, Frank!
denispeters is offline Find More Posts by denispeters
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:32 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,996 Posts
Nice flying, one thing I'd like to see is how snappy this plane is, and also how it tumbles. It looks like it has a lot of potential, but I want a plane that's not only able to fly light and floaty but can also carry some nice momentum for the higher energy moves. With the advent of these newer type foamies I'm getting away from the balsa's in the 48" sizes, but I'd eventually like to get away from the 60" sizes as well if they can make a foamy that flys as well in this size range.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:37 PM
China, Guangdong, Zhuhai
Joined Nov 2010
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denispeters View Post
nice flying, Frank!
Thanks Denis.

One reason I like PCM radio is that a wire can be linked between the top of the antenna and the spinner, so that I can hover a bit more stably.
CNJ3 is offline Find More Posts by CNJ3
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:42 PM
China, Guangdong, Zhuhai
Joined Nov 2010
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
Nice flying, one thing I'd like to see is how snappy this plane is, and also how it tumbles. It looks like it has a lot of potential, but I want a plane that's not only able to fly light and floaty but can also carry some nice momentum for the higher energy moves. With the advent of these newer type foamies I'm getting away from the balsa's in the 48" sizes, but I'd eventually like to get away from the 60" sizes as well if they can make a foamy that flys as well in this size range.
I think you have seen what you want in the videos. In my opinion it's an EPP kit performs close to balsa the most. It's "a wolf with sheep skin"
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:49 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNJ3 View Post
I think you have seen what you want in the videos. In my opinion it's an EPP kit performs close to balsa the most. It's "a wolf with sheep skin"
Well not really, I haven't seen any real nice tight snap rolls, tumbles, or pop tops. It looks like it has the potential, but I'd like to see these maneuvers performed first. I'm not trying to insinuate that this isn't a nice plane, it really looks like a sweet flying plane, but I'd like to see how it handles these particular maneuvers to really judge it versus balsa.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:53 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,741 Posts
I've only flown mine twice so far and I am really happy with it. Really looking forward to some nicer weather to play with it though. As for tumbles and such, have to get some more time on it.
stevelmaa is online now Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:15 AM
Don't worry be happy :)
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
Quote:
Nice flying, one thing I'd like to see is how snappy this plane is, and also how it tumbles....
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNJ3 View Post
Quote:
... I haven't seen any real nice tight snap rolls, tumbles, or pop tops. It looks like it has the potential, but I'd like to see these maneuvers performed....
CNJ3 you should perhaps take help from a good 3D pilot to fly your planes. You are more of a pattern guy, so far as I can see, judging by your videos. 3D flying is a lot more than hovering and harrier. This also become very obvious when looking at the design of the elevator on the Extra 330 LX. I really like that airplane for the clean look and the simplicity, but it will be hard to use as a training platform for 3D without a rebuild of the elevator.
Stark is offline Find More Posts by Stark
Last edited by Stark; Jan 23, 2013 at 02:04 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:26 AM
China, Guangdong, Zhuhai
Joined Nov 2010
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark View Post
CNJ3 you should perhaps take help from a good 3D pilot to fly your planes. You are more of a pattern guy, so far as I can see, judging by your videos. 3D flying is a lot more than hovering and harrier. This also become very obvious when looking at the design of the elevator on the Extra 330 LX. I really like that airplane for the clean look and the simplicity, but it will be hard to use as a training platform for 3D without a rebuild of the elevator.
Hi Stark,

Thank you very much for buying our Extra330LX kit, and telling us what you think about it. Appreciated!

What kind of elevator do yo like for the Extra330LX? larger surface? more throw? or both?

If it is possible, please share with us your 3D flying videos. Thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:20 AM
Joined Jul 2010
29 Posts
Quote:
But I do not think such a "small" company can afford to get Micheal Wargo, Daniel Dominguez or Quique Somenzini as a Team Pilot ?

F.e. Michael Wargo makes even the HK MX2 look good even if it flies like a pregnant pig (and it does !!!).

I like Franks flying and he is a good pilot in my opinion (better than me). Of cause it could be interesting, what a first class pilot can do with this plane. I will get this plane soon, but I would never share a vid here because of my skills at the sticks

This brings up another question I do have:
Has anyone flown both - this one and the PA Extra/Katana MX for comparison yet ? That would be interesting for me ....

Stephan
Moffa is offline Find More Posts by Moffa
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:31 AM
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
The local dealer for WM here in Sweden has a good price on the Extra right now so I have been watching videos and talking to owners of the model. The size is perfect for the batterys I have at hand. The conclusion is that's it a really nice plane, but it seems to lack elevator authority. I'm not the expert, maybe because the elevator is scale like and miss the balance tab of other 3D models ? Now my expectations probably are too high because I own two Crack Yaks. It would probably be a great experience to fly the Extra anyhow.
Last edited by Stark; Jan 23, 2013 at 05:39 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:49 AM
China, Guangdong, Zhuhai
Joined Nov 2010
160 Posts
Quote:
The local dealer for WM here in Sweden has a good price on the Extra right now so I have been watching videos and talking to owners of the model. The size is perfect for the batterys I have at hand. The conclusion is that's it a really nice plane, but it seems to lack elevator authority. I'm not the expert, maybe because the elevator is scale like and miss the balance tab of other 3D models ? Now my expectations probably are too high because I own two Crack Yaks. It would probably be a great experience to fly the Extra anyhow.
Hi Stark, you will get more helpful information if you go back to the thread of 48in Extra330LX, more powerful servo, more throw for the elevator will help to get better authority.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1661193

As to the counter balance, the real plane Extra330LX itself does not have counter balance on elevator. This is the first time that the tail wing of an EPP foam plane was made air foiled, so we wanted to have an easier start in production. As you can see now our new 55in Slick360 has counter balance for its elevator.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:55 AM
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
Thanks for the explanation and the tips!
I will read through the Extra330LX thread once more!
The Slick is nice, but too big for my 3 cells 2200 mAh batteries. I can also see from your great flying in the videos that it has a lot of elevator authority!
Last edited by Stark; Jan 23, 2013 at 06:09 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:09 AM
Joined Jul 2010
29 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the explanation and the tips!
I will read through the Extra330LX thread once more!
The Slick is nice, but too big for my 3 cells 2200 mAh batteries. I can also see from your great flying in the videos that it has a lot of elevator authority!
Hey, I will use 2 of those 2200s as 6s Packs in my Slick whn I get it ...

Stephan
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:04 PM
I believe in Jesus Christ
Germany
Joined Apr 2006
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moffa View Post
Hey, I will use 2 of those 2200s as 6s Packs in my Slick whn I get it ...

Stephan
2x 3s 2200mAh is an excellent option, I fly all my 50"-60" airframes with this setup

by the way, your plane arrived today, Stephan!
and it is huge!! pls. check pics, size comparison with a 3dh 58" edge

Denis
denispeters is offline Find More Posts by denispeters
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:56 PM
Joined Jul 2010
29 Posts
Holy S...t