HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Dani123, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:20 PM
Israel
Joined Jan 2005
138 Posts
Mini-HowTo
mini regulator - going SMD

Back to my search for small and lightweight 2S lipo regulator, I've found this tiny AMS1117 unit, which is surface mounted component.
It regulates voltages as high as 12v down to 5v. It is very tiny and light, the downside it is only 1A current rated.

I gathered the required components and soldered it this evening. First of all, SMD component are really easy to solder , there is really nothing complicated when you have the right tip for the soldering iron (there are great videos at YouTube).
For now I had this electrolytic capacitor, later I will replace it with tantalum one,which is smaller and lighter.

As you can see, the most weight is from the connectors and wires, the unit works. Later I will put some shrink at it.
Dani123 is offline Find More Posts by Dani123
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:36 PM
Israel
Joined Jan 2005
138 Posts
one last thing - my test bench

Just wanted to introduce my 'high tech' test bench for the stuff I do.

I have this servo tester which can cycle continuously three servos, I feed it with 2s lipo through the regulator, I monitor the voltage at the input (left meter) and at the output (right one), also I measure the total run time with the timer and I check the regulators temperature (by hand) - it should get warm but I should be able to touch it. Once this setup works for 2-3 hours, I feel comfortable to put the reg in my DLGiis.

Dani
Dani123 is offline Find More Posts by Dani123
RCG Plus Member