HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:18 PM
Blacked out 350z - Texas
Joined Nov 2012
1,837 Posts
Build Log
Flying to the clouds

I have been watching numerous videos of fpv planes flying to the clouds and above them, the view is amazing. I want a plane that can fly very high like that. They dont have to fly that high, but I want one that I can strap my camera on and fly higher than normal planes. I have seen a lot of people either use Radians or Bixlers, am I correct? Also, I have heard that the Bixler is the way to go because it is so cheap, but dont you have to build them? They are not BNF or RTF are they? I have a Spektrum Dx5e so I dont need a RTF.

Anyways, can someone give me an opinion on which aircraft I should purchase in order to fly to the clouds? Or build a part list for me and I can order it? I hope I am making sense and I don't sound stupid.
Wrice4 is offline Find More Posts by Wrice4
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:23 PM
Blacked out 350z - Texas
Joined Nov 2012
1,837 Posts
I also ran across the AXN Floater-Jet EPO with Motor (ARF) for $50. I have the transmitter and battery, I just need to order a receiver. Seems pretty cheap for a high altitude glider, any opinions?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:08 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,158 Posts
Have you checked out the FPV systems?
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:34 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,464 Posts
The AXN Floater Jet would not be a good choice for this mission. It is a handful to fly. What you should choose is something that is capable of flying "hands off", nice and steady. My AXN Floater Jet was a handful to fly and you could never take your hands off of it. Not for 1 second.

You know what I would suggest, in all seriousness? If you could get a Bird of Time sailplane and convert it for power with a folding prop, that would be a first choice for me. Ailerons? Yeah you could install those too, if you want. It has a really huge wing and does a great job thermal flying.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:53 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,259 Posts
Same question, different site.

Same advice, get a big wingspan plane if you want to do this LOS.
1320fastback is online now Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:35 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,464 Posts
This should be a good one. It's the Sky Surfer from Banana Hobby. It has a huge 94.5" wingspan, which is about 8 ft. Here's a video. It has ailerons and flaps, a single wheel landing gear, and an option for an outrunner motor. Personally, I'd fit it with a larger 3-blade prop if it were me. But what a great plane, for a great price too!

http://www.youtube.com/user/bananahobby?v=x10iiq07LQk
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:35 AM
Blacked out 350z - Texas
Joined Nov 2012
1,837 Posts
Thanks everyone.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:03 PM
Northern California
Joined Sep 2002
402 Posts
Do you guys realize what a large RC aircraft can do to a full scale aircraft if someone runs into it???

A goose can come through the windshield or break a wing spar on a full scale craft.. I know there is FAA legislation pending that addresses the increasing amount of RC "drones" being flown at altitude where they could mix with full scale craft.

I fly both full scale and RC, but I cringe at the thought of an FPV unmanned aircraft weighing over a couple of pounds cruising around at the same altitudes I fly.

Be very careful and get a big insurance policy.
fogflyer is offline Find More Posts by fogflyer
Last edited by fogflyer; Nov 14, 2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:13 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,464 Posts
You know, you're right. When I was at the 140th TFW at Buckley AFB years ago before we got F-16 fighters, we had an A-7D hit a pidgeon on approach and it entered the fuselage right on the lip of the air intake, luckily missing the jet engine. They kept removing panels until they finally got to the end of bird remains, and that was 2/3rds of the way through the airplane. It crashed right through all of those aluminum bulkheads.

So yeah, you're not kidding.
Ever been hit by a small insect on a motorcycle without a helmet on? Even a stupid little fly will hurt like a BB gun pellet at highway speeds.

I believe the FAA regulation on model airplanes is 400 ft altitude. But also the AMA has secured an exception, at AMA-approved flying fields.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:34 AM
Blacked out 350z - Texas
Joined Nov 2012
1,837 Posts
I am not trying to fly something that high, just higher than normal. Planes usually dont fly as low as I am trying to fly.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:53 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,464 Posts
Also if you're out in the countryside somewhere...who cares?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:05 AM
Northern California
Joined Sep 2002
402 Posts
I think the 400 ft restriction is only within 3 miles of an airport, but I could be wrong.

I also want to point out that full scale airplanes only have to stay 1000 ft over congested areas and have NO altitude restriction over less populated areas. I see people say they have to stay at 500 ft, but that is incorrect. You must stay 500 ft AWAY from people or building, but that can be 500 ft horizontal, not just vertical. I often fly at less than 50 ft cruising the coastline, I just stay 500 ft away from people and boats.

BTW- Helicopters do not even have the 1000 ft over cities restriction.
fogflyer is offline Find More Posts by fogflyer
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:31 AM
Blacked out 350z - Texas
Joined Nov 2012
1,837 Posts
Ok, let me be clear, I understand the rules, can I have help with the questions I asked, lol. What type of airplane do you recommend? I was looking at the Parkzone Radian.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:38 PM
Blacked out 350z - Texas
Joined Nov 2012
1,837 Posts
How would this compare to the Radian? Its $100 less.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:56 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,464 Posts
Yes, the Radian is a good flyer. The rudder has a tendancy to suffer from flutter if it goes too fast. But it's a good flying airplane.

Check out that Sky Surfer from Banana Hobby. With that gigantic wing, it'll fly better than a Radian.