HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:17 PM
Veteran RC Pilot!
USA, GA, Holly Springs
Joined Feb 2007
106 Posts
Discussion
High Lift Blades

I am looking for a manufacturer of high lift blades for all sizes of electric and gas powered helicopters. 325-350mm, 500-575mm, 600-650mm, and 800mm+
Anyone know of sources.
Thanks
mundo330 is offline Find More Posts by mundo330
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:21 PM
Smoke em ' If ya got em
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,386 Posts
I claim ignorance on this one. what are high lift blades
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:53 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,376 Posts
You can try Spin Blades, Century Helicopters, Smartmodel, and NHP. All make symmetrical and semi-symmetrical blades up to and some beyond 800mm. Don't bother with injection molded blades from Smartmodel, but look at their glass fibre or carbon fibre blades. The rest all manufacture carbon fibre or CF re-inforced glass fibre blades. Some of the newest symmetrical blades from Century have more lifting power and better flight characteristics than semi-symmetrical blades, which is rather interesting, according to one of the fellows involved in the designing of their blades. Good luck.

Don
Keyrigger is online now Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:16 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,417 Posts
Spinblades are good, but I am also pretty impressed with the Vario S-profile blades.
They have a very high lift, can handle pretty low RPM's without stalling, have very good AR characteristics, and ALL their S-profile blades are very suitable for flying without flybar and without electronics.

There are better blades, there are cheaper blades, but in my opinion, price/quality ratio of those are pretty much as good as anything else out there.
Only downside is they don't come shorter than 730 mm for single bolt bladegrips, and not shorter than 675 mm for their dual bolt bladegrips (exclusive for Vario multiblade heads). But I fly them all without flybar and without electronics, and I find them extremely stable and predictable, and extremely high lifting 8 kilo on a 1500 mm rotor, without any stability problems and a power consumption of less than 1200 W is pretty impressive....

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is offline Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:41 PM
Veteran RC Pilot!
USA, GA, Holly Springs
Joined Feb 2007
106 Posts
RE: Vario Blades

We have used the Vario blades with great success on our large gas birds even carrying a TASE 200.But, for our smaller UAVs we are looking for a little more payload and endurance on a limited power source. the Tase 150 is under 2 lbs and we would like to see it as an option on our mini (600 size).
Thanks for the info!
mundo330 is offline Find More Posts by mundo330
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:43 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,417 Posts
On the smaller sizes I have not much experience with high payloads, but I would say: Spinblades!

Brgds, Bert
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:29 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post
I claim ignorance on this one. what are high lift blades
Asymmetrical airfoil blades. They are flat on the bottom and give much more lift for a given RPM. Downside is they dont work at all well for -ve pitch stuff.

Used for scale or large payload (AP) applications usually.
desertstalker is offline Find More Posts by desertstalker
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:45 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,376 Posts
desertstalker:

Not all semi-symmetrical (asymmetrical) blades are flat bottomed. There are many that have an airfoil shaped bottom but not as high as the top, much like most aircraft wings. My Century scale blades are like that. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is online now Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:08 AM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,417 Posts
Correct....

The real flat bottomed profiles like Clark-Y are even very unsuitable for high-lift applications, as their lift is not only greatly influenced by pitch angle but also by rotorspeed, and max lift is not all that....
The old ('70's designed) RPM controlled fixed pitch heli's had such profiles, not because of the increased lift, but because of the response to changes in rotorspeed.

Modern A-symetricals (some you just can't call "semi symetric", like the Vario S-profile, because top and bottom are nowhere near similar) seem to be virtually not influenced by headspeed, they hold a hoover with only very minor pitch adjustments over a pretty wide speedrange.

And yes, those are not suitable for inverted and negative-G, but I am told (have never tested it myself) that those blades perform rolls like the helicopter is running on rails...

Brgds, Bert
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:42 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
desertstalker:

Not all semi-symmetrical (asymmetrical) blades are flat bottomed. There are many that have an airfoil shaped bottom but not as high as the top, much like most aircraft wings. My Century scale blades are like that. Take care.

Don
You are right, should have said flatter.
desertstalker is offline Find More Posts by desertstalker
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:38 PM
Smoke em ' If ya got em
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
Asymmetrical airfoil blades. They are flat on the bottom and give much more lift for a given RPM. Downside is they dont work at all well for -ve pitch stuff.

Used for scale or large payload (AP) applications usually.
Thanks desert stalker. ......yeah reading thru the thread I was assuming they were for scale..learned something new.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion