SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:58 AM
Joined Nov 2012
4 Posts
Discussion
Telemetry information of unwinding motor - please help

A friend of mine built a remote fishing rod and is hoping to upgrade it to the digital age. Is there a way to remotely display how much a motor has turned? A motor is used to unwind and wind up fishing line and it would be useful to find out how much line has been unwound to workout how deep the line has been set.

If you've seen a solution for this let me know.
ademczuk is online now Find More Posts by ademczuk
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:51 AM
Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Joined Dec 2007
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ademczuk View Post
A friend of mine built a remote fishing rod and is hoping to upgrade it to the digital age. Is there a way to remotely display how much a motor has turned? A motor is used to unwind and wind up fishing line and it would be useful to find out how much line has been unwound to workout how deep the line has been set.

If you've seen a solution for this let me know.
Hi,

Not sure where this relates to RC, but to answer.......

Whilst it would be relatively easy to put an encoder on the shaft of the reel the problem you have is not one of detecting rotations.....but in the layers of line on the reel. As the reel pays out line the effective line paid out per revolution of the reel gets less, and it could make for a big difference.
You can get around this but you'd need a wee micro (an Arduino or something) that can calculate-in the change in circumference as the line pays out.......that way you'll get a semi-accurate line set.

PS. I believe you can get reels with micro-controllers in them.......so maybe there's an off-the-shelf solution.

Ian.
IanJ is offline Find More Posts by IanJ
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:04 AM
Dave the Rave
Joined Jun 2007
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ademczuk View Post
A friend of mine built a remote fishing rod........
As an avid fisherman, my mind is "reeling" (pun intended) at this one.

1st question......"WHY!?!?"

2nd question....."How does it work?"

3rd question....."How do you set the hook?"

4th question......"WHY!?!?"

dmccormick001 is offline Find More Posts by dmccormick001
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:09 AM
Joined Nov 2012
4 Posts
It eliminates the need to cast out your line / recast allowing you precision on where you would like your line dropped and how far. You can get closer to snag areas such as logs and reeds without risking your expensive lures and bait in areas where fish like to feed.

You set the hook before you launch the boat out.

Gallery: http://imgur.com/a/f7LjG
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/gleno20...ow=grid&view=0

Thanks for the info Ian. I'll do some research into micro arduino's. Would you know any sites that have sample code?
ademczuk is online now Find More Posts by ademczuk