HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:19 AM
Joined Feb 2012
43 Posts
Help!
USB real time video capture

OK so I recently became the proud new owner of an 900 MHz 800 miliwatt hobby king FPV system. The problem is that I have no way to display composite video. Well our HDTV will do it but it's not portable.

So my plan was to use a laptop with a video capture card. However as I found out when looking for one is that most of them have significant video delay some where around the time of 2 seconds. Witch is far to long for controllable flight.

So is there any one that could recommend a good capture card? I found a few but I don't know how much video delay they have so is there any one here that's braved the waters and could give some advice?
Mysion is offline Find More Posts by Mysion
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:51 AM
RTFM // copter damaged
Joined Aug 2009
1,726 Posts
why you dont use a small display or video googles? such 7" displays are cheap.
warthox is offline Find More Posts by warthox
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:35 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Oct 2012
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysion View Post
OK so I recently became the proud new owner of an 900 MHz 800 miliwatt hobby king FPV system. The problem is that I have no way to display composite video. Well our HDTV will do it but it's not portable.

So my plan was to use a laptop with a video capture card. However as I found out when looking for one is that most of them have significant video delay some where around the time of 2 seconds. Witch is far to long for controllable flight.

So is there any one that could recommend a good capture card? I found a few but I don't know how much video delay they have so is there any one here that's braved the waters and could give some advice?
from what i seen, most people uses easycap
lildevilx is offline Find More Posts by lildevilx
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:35 PM
Joined Feb 2012
43 Posts
Warthox the reason I want to use the laptop is that is has a nice 17 inch screen and a battery built in. And from what I've seen video goggles start at 300$. I was hoping for a capture card under 100$ and they exist but some have bad lag....

Lildevilx I was going to go with easycap but then I saw some other uses on the forum mention that it has a 2 second delay.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:17 AM
RTFM // copter damaged
Joined Aug 2009
1,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysion View Post
Warthox the reason I want to use the laptop is that is has a nice 17 inch screen and a battery built in. And from what I've seen video goggles start at 300$. I was hoping for a capture card under 100$ and they exist but some have bad lag....
mh ok.
you can power these lcds with the same 3s lipo which you use for the video rx.
warthox is offline Find More Posts by warthox
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:33 AM
Joined Nov 2008
118 Posts
I've played around with easycap and another external tuner myself but you'd be better off with an external LCD screen. You won't get instant video relay on a laptop unfortunately. $100 should buy you a 10" screen as well.
giek2000 is offline Find More Posts by giek2000
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:01 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2012
378 Posts
vusix 920 video glasses turn up cheap on ebay and sometimes on amazon, great for fpv.

good thread on them here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1629170
jimbob69 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob69
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:06 PM
Joined Jun 2008
1,091 Posts
i have tried almost everything, best is external lcd, i am using 16" 12volt kogan.com monitor.

any converter will induce a lag, some a very low latency but even 7ms of lag is annoying

powered from a lipo or the car 12v

then use the capture cart to record very handy for crash recovery.
dogz85 is offline Find More Posts by dogz85
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ESC's for multies
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:49 PM
Joined Feb 2012
43 Posts
Well thanks for the advice! Looks like I'm going to try and get a 12 volt screen then.
Thanks for helping me not waste my cash either.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:20 PM
Cyprus, Limassol
Joined Feb 2008
1,129 Posts
ermmm if you have a pcmcia slot on your laptop you could buy a tv card. That's what i was doing... Be warned though laptop screen is unreadable in the sun
panos2408 is online now Find More Posts by panos2408
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:36 PM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Aug 2012
3,423 Posts
I am using an ION Video2PC adapter: http://www.ionaudio.com/products/det...ideo-2-pc-mkii

It works great. You only get lag if you enable the video capture utility on your PC. But it depends on what software you are using.

I am using vDUB as my video display, and i am using Camtasia 8 as my screen capture utility. I do not record the laptop screen that often, as my FPV camera has the ability to record straight to micro-SD card.

Here is some video to show what i see on my laptop as I fly:
FPV is hard (2 min 48 sec)

I picked up the ION video2pc for $14 off ebay. If you look for one, make sure you get a "video2pc MKII" which is Win7 compatible.
Also, keep in mind that my laptop has a nVidia GeForce GT550M GPU and an Intel Sandybridge i7. I will be setting up a spare laptop that just has a 1.8ghz centrino to see if I get the same results from lesser hardware.
AcroFPV is offline Find More Posts by AcroFPV