HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by earlwb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:59 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,323 Posts
Discussion
My Low Wing plane

Many years ago, circa 1990, my best friend at attempted a business venture, where he would have some planes made as ARF's that used foam core wings with 1/64 inch plywood sheeting, balsa, ply fuselage and tail. But the best part was they were all hand painted very nicely. Well the batch of prototype planes all worked out great. I built up six of them for my friend and had used Saito engines for three of them and Fox engines for the other three. He had three models, designed for .45 two stroke glow engines, a high wing trainer like plane, a high wing sport plane and a low wing sport plane built more like a pattern plane.

But unfortunately things didn't work out so well for the container load that came in. The planes were produced during the monsoon season and loaded into a container, which was shipped to Arizona. The dry heat in Arizona dried the wood out too much and the paint all cracked and peeled around the edges of the planes. Some planes turned out much worse than others though. But he couldn't sell them as new, high quality ARF's though.

Anyway, I have been building and flying some of the planes for years now. A while back I accidentally crashed a low wing plane. But I dug another one out of the storage shed and put it together. I almost lost it when some high winds caused it to pancake into the ground when it lost lift at the flying field. But it wasn't damaged much, so I fixed it back up to fly again.

So here is the latest incarnation of the .45 size low wing plane with a NGH 9cc gasoline engine mounted on the front of it. The engine actually pulls the plane around really well too. It does get a bit of a power boost from the Tower muffler that is mated to the engine. The low wing plane is fairly large and has a 59 inch wingspan, so it would work Ok with a .60 engine on it too. So I can see where the NGH 9cc engine would pull around a Hangar 9 Phoenix Pattern plane Ok too. Maybe not as good as a modern 2 stroke glow engine could, but it would be acceptable.

But the last time I had it out, the Spektrum radio was acting all funky when I fired up the engine. The radio would work fine until the engine started and then it would reset itself, which isn't good. So I switched it over to the Futaba one instead. So I'll see how that works instead. It it flakes out too, then there is a problem with the wiring or connectors someplace. The other two planes with NGH engines on them both use Futaba gear and they haven't exhibited any of those funky things the Spektrum gear exhibited. At first I thought it was the FiFe battery pack, so I changed it out and the plane still had problems with the Spektrum receiver.

Here it is beside my Escapade .40 plane. It is quite a bit larger in size versus the little Escapade.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:33 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,323 Posts
I made a video clip of me flying the low wing plane with the little NGH 9cc gasoline engine on it. I used a 11x7 Master Airscrew prop and a Tower Hobbies muffler on the engine. I did some low high speed passes so I could guage its flight speed using a Doppler Shift speed checking program and I got readings stating the plane was going just a hair under 58 mph in the air.

Flying my Low Wing Sport Pattern Plane with a NGH 9cc engine on it (10 min 7 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:51 AM
United States, NJ, Barnegat Township
Joined Nov 2012
24 Posts
walbro carb

were did you get the part used to bolt carb to on the walbro convertion,,,thanks
psychoticflyer is offline Find More Posts by psychoticflyer
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:19 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,323 Posts
One of our forum members Gary Cee made it for me.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:08 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,449 Posts
Nice model Earl. I like it.
The engine sounds almost like a glow .60.
John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Aug 01, 2013, 08:59 AM
-
ShangHai China
Joined Jun 2008
87 Posts
NGH 9cc gasoline engine

its Designer is my friend,in the same city
comy is offline Find More Posts by comy
Old Aug 12, 2013, 09:19 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,323 Posts
Nice to meet you. I think the engines turned out OK, but there were issues with the pump/regulator unit. Other than that it seems to work fine.

One issue is that the pump cover may not fit flush with the pump body. I think the center post protrudes just a tiny bit too much and it doesn't get enough pressure to seal up well along the edge. That might be the main problem. I have been thinking about it for a while now and what might be done about it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2013, 03:02 AM
-
ShangHai China
Joined Jun 2008
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
Nice to meet you. I think the engines turned out OK, but there were issues with the pump/regulator unit. Other than that it seems to work fine.

One issue is that the pump cover may not fit flush with the pump body. I think the center post protrudes just a tiny bit too much and it doesn't get enough pressure to seal up well along the edge. That might be the main problem. I have been thinking about it for a while now and what might be done about it.
Thank you !I will let my friend know this。
comy is offline Find More Posts by comy
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:22 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jan 2013
574 Posts
earlwb, listening to the video, that is a really sweet sound coming from your plane. I've considered getting one of those .52 gas burners, too. Plane almost looks like a Lanier of the late 1970's, is it? For an ARF, it looks like a fine performing plane.
GallopingGhostlr is offline Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2013, 04:38 PM
Bill Mohrbacher, MECA Fox Guy
Beaver Falls, PA
Joined Dec 2006
619 Posts
This summer one of my buddies had a gas powered 108" Citabria newly built. He had maybe 20 or 30 flights on it, no radio problems at all. He put in a different spark plug as the idle wasn't quite right. The airplane started glitching now and then. After several flights we realized throttling back would allow control to be regained. He realized the problems began when he changed the sparkplug. It turned out the new plug was a bit shorter than the old one that came with the engine. The actual contact inside the high tension boot was making intermittent contact with the new plug! So much for 2.4's interference rejection!
G WILLIE is offline Find More Posts by G WILLIE
Old Dec 22, 2013, 06:16 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jan 2013
574 Posts
My guess is the electromagnetic interference (EMI) was strong enough from the spark at the high tension boot cap of the engine due to its close proximity to the receiver, that it it induced interference past the RF (radio frequency) section of the receiver injected into amplification portion that affected the digital portion that drove the servos. The radio has no shielding, like an aluminum case with antennas protruding to prevent this type of interference. Even then it could possibly find its way in.

Spark interference is so strong, that car ignition systems use resistor cables or resistor links to minimize EMI for broadcast radio reception. Those radios are usually well sheilded in a metal case. If it affects car radios, then so much the same for RC.

Although 2.4 GHz technology is good, there are some additional caveats that cannot be ignored to ensure reliable operation, IMO.

Glad to see your buddy found out the problem and is aware of how to solve.
GallopingGhostlr is offline Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
RCG Plus Member