HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:52 AM
Colchester UK
Joined May 2004
420 Posts
Kent you are dead right there. I could easily have flown for a month or so and then had a terrible mess to deal with. At least the plane is dry to work on. The second tank is now completed ready to test so may start putting the skins back on tomorrow.

I am glad I took them out rather than tried to make a 'fix' I now have over a litre in the 2 tanks and they are nice and rigid.

John
John Wright is offline Find More Posts by John Wright
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:03 PM
Deniable plausibility
Derbyshire, UK
Joined Aug 2008
2,327 Posts
What an utterly gorgeous aeroplane! I was sorry to hear re the tank set-back but better catch it now and all that.

Regards,
Shedofdread is offline Find More Posts by Shedofdread
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:03 PM
Colchester UK
Joined May 2004
420 Posts
Today we had just the right weather for a maiden. It was cold but sunny and slight cross wind. Dave Wilde flew the maiden as usual. Thanks to Andres the C of G was perfect and the plane needed very little trim No trim on ailerons and 2mm up on elevators. The first flight was uneventful except that Dave and I did not communicate the knob for the flaps properly so we landed long without them. We had a second flight almost immediately afterwards and with flaps deployed we ran out of up elevator. We have some fine tuning to do to get it perfect. The U/C held out rather to my surprise.

Delighted with the flights.

On the second flight Dave did some rolls and a loop.

schapel (3 min 15 sec)

John
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:06 PM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,380 Posts
Congratulations John.Just beautiful,and a brilliant soundtrack.
Stuart.
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:40 PM
InceCreations
Joined Jul 2009
743 Posts
Very nice !

I'm interested to know what the final weight turned out to be ?
What is the trust you reached with your setup ?

Vincent
vincent123 is offline Find More Posts by vincent123
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FZ5: prototype time
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:37 PM
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
585 Posts
Brilliant. Congratulations John. Great thread and final result.

Tony
T.D. is offline Find More Posts by T.D.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:31 AM
Germany
Joined Nov 2005
339 Posts
Congratulation

Hej John,

great to see, that she's flying now. Thank You for sharing the built. I am always happy and a little bit proud when I see some ribbs from my "production" in the air, especially if it's turbine powered.

I wish You nice flights with Your Schapel and always happy landings.

Regards

Lothar
Tijgerhaai is offline Find More Posts by Tijgerhaai
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:42 AM
Heidelberg
Joined Oct 2009
379 Posts
Perfect maiden! Congratulations! I hope you enjoy the Schapel as much as I do . I like the take off with the gear.

Regarding the running out of elevator. Did this happen with or without the gear deployed? The landing gear might produce an additional nose down moment.

Looking forward to see more flights

Cheers
Andrés
andrecillo76 is offline Find More Posts by andrecillo76
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:30 AM
Eden NY
Joined Sep 2001
540 Posts
John,
Wonderful maiden flight. I could watch that all day . Very impressive.
Thank you for sharing your build and thank you to Andres and Lothar as well. Your designs and craftsmanship are an inspiration.
While I'm sure I will never be able to work up to a turbine such as this, it is nice to dream of one. It looks and flys fantastic.
Excellent work!
Regards,
-Eric
ohmite is offline Find More Posts by ohmite
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:22 AM
Colchester UK
Joined May 2004
420 Posts
Thanks everyone for the kind words. It is always nice to have a trouble free maiden. I didn't add that Dave said the Schapel was very stable in the air and was delightful to fly, it was much easier to fly than the Horten where we have our hearts in our mouths every flight. The Schapel just flies like it is on rails. Not sure if the slightly raised exhaust has helped. The problem with the flaps was probably just lowering them too far. We will cut down the movement next flight.

Takeoff with the Retracts was perfect just hopped off in a few metres with full power on both flights. Must have got the angle of attack and the thrust angle just right.

John
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:01 AM
Heidelberg
Joined Oct 2009
379 Posts
John,

I just saw the video again. Very nice. A pitty we do not get to see the landing. Ist it possible to land sufficiently slow with the turbine running? Dave's words sounds just like well desgined Horten-wings should be. I've even thermalled this wing (I fly now with an electric motor). The modified exhaust angle helped for sure to have a good take off. Too much flap angle can be a problem because of flow separation on top of the section. In a tailed wing this does not affect much the pitch stability, because the tail is long and the contribution to the pitching moment from the flaps is small in comparisson. Here a separated flow can be quiet problematic.

Looking forward to see more flight videos

Cheers
Andrés
andrecillo76 is offline Find More Posts by andrecillo76
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:30 PM
Colchester UK
Joined May 2004
420 Posts
Andres

Yes Dave enjoyed flying it, it was stress free. The flaps were just lowered too much on the second flight. I am confident we can set it up so it will slow nicely yet be controllable and land with the engine running, as it was on the second flight. As you say the takeoff is great.

John
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:45 AM
Joined Jun 2007
234 Posts
Hello John,

just a few days not following this thread, and now almost the maiden!

Congratulations!

Looks like a very stable flight.
heiner is offline Find More Posts by heiner
Old Apr 04, 2013, 02:01 PM
Tailless Happy
Germany
Joined Jan 2009
43 Posts
Congratulation John

Jörg
HortenI is offline Find More Posts by HortenI
Old Apr 07, 2013, 12:12 PM
Colchester UK
Joined May 2004
420 Posts
We had 2 more flights today and are really happy with the handling. Rolls are nice and axial and loops are nice and large. If the limits of low speed are explored and the plane gets near to a stall simply lowering the nose gives directional stability. Dave says the plane feels very light on the sticks and flies a bit like a zagi without fins. Landings are now under control. However it does not like taking off or landing in crosswinds. The wind today was up to 10 mph at 90 degrees to the runway.

John