HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Razors edge 29, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:49 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,507 Posts
Cool
Estes Rubber Band Condor gets powered flght

Today at the LHS, I bought a rubber band powered glider called the Estes Condor. I believe this is part of a new line up as it is foam, and not balsa. The wing, hstad and vstab seem to be made out of Depron, while the main fuse is conpressed EPP I think.

See link below
http://www.estesrockets.com/004014-r...nd-foam-glider

I bough this with the intention of making it a tractor set up, but then realized I dot have any small enough props to use with motors I had on hand.

So, I made it a top mount pusher.

It uses a Champ brick, mounted upside down under wing through fuselage, and a MCPX tail motor and rotor blade. I used a scrap piece of Depron to make top pusher mount. I ended up running the elevator linkage through the fuse. The brick is mounted off center to allow rudder/aileron servo to be outside fuse. I cut down the stock main landing gear and made it a lot closer to ground. I also fashioned up a tail wheel which is steerable via the rudder.

I went nuts with some sharpies and stock stickers. This conversion ended up with a weight w/o a lipo of just under 21 grams with landing gear.The main landing gear is removable and weights 1.3 gram.

I had it out earlier this evening and it did fly, but was quite pitch sensitive and thus I have since adjusted the motor angle to give down thrust.

She has lots of dihedrel, and under camber which provides great lift. I think it may even be able to rog in a gym for take off. The MCPX tail powers it nicely.

I will try and add videos if I can.

thanks for reading.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:41 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Today at the LHS, I bought a rubber band powered glider called the Estes Condor. I believe this is part of a new line up as it is foam, and not balsa. The wing, hstad and vstab seem to be made out of Depron, while the main fuse is conpressed EPP I think.

I will try and add videos if I can.

thanks for reading.
very nice! I might just do this. vid would be cool.

My first plane was from wal-mart and it was the estes twin blue angels, so I sorta have a special thing for them. I wished they would of rethought things and stopped trying to compete with folks like air hogs...they would of done well with selling just airframes....IMO, they had some really nice airframes.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:04 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,507 Posts
Yeah.
I've been eyeing up a new Estes planes
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:09 AM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
520 Posts
Glad I saw your blog link, I've got an ar6400 sitting on the shelf looking for a home, this could be the inspiration I need to do something with it. Subscribed.
eltreato is online now Find More Posts by eltreato
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:07 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,507 Posts
Hey

There are lots of good homes, for an AR6400

Make a mini 3D plank
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:28 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
520 Posts
That was actually my first choice, though it means I'll have to drop some $$ on a couple spma2000Ls, plus my brick isn't a long throw. I also saw a vid on youtube of a guy's flying wing ar6400 that could be fun too.
eltreato is online now Find More Posts by eltreato
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:14 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,507 Posts
Yeah, flying wings are fun for sure

Check out micro stingray thread in the indoor and micro thread

It's fun but quick lol
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:16 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic