HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:55 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,218 Posts
Discussion
After 450 trex pro, what next?

I just got my 450 trex pro, haven't even flown it yet (waiting on my motor). But I've owned my EXI pro for a while now and I like the way the 450's fly. I don't need it, but wouldn't mind something a little bigger maybe. I'm also hoping the trex pro will fly better than my exi ever could, we'll see.

So my question: What's the next level up in quality over align, 450-550 size mainly? Probably stay with electric. It needs to have decently priced parts too. All I know about is align really. Not that I have a problem with align, I like align.

I want to look now so I know what's out there. Call it really early research because I don't plan on buying anything soon. But then again, that's what I said last time.
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:01 PM
Get to the choppa!
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Sep 2012
358 Posts
As you know, I am currently flying a EXI 450 sport. I can now say that it is align because over the past few months I have replaced just about everything (except for the frame and swash plate) with align parts.

I am definately sticking with align, stuff just works.

My next heli is going to be an electric FBL 500, and I want to put it into a fuselage, maybe a bell 222. I would like to do the cockpit, and add a lighting kit to the outside. Make it look good.

http://www.scaleflying.com/Bell-222-...uct_p_779.html
RFDelie is offline Find More Posts by RFDelie
Last edited by RFDelie; Nov 10, 2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:35 PM
Suspended Account
Mali, Tombouctou, Timbuktu
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
I just got my 450 trex pro, haven't even flown it yet (waiting on my motor). But I've owned my EXI pro for a while now and I like the way the 450's fly. I don't need it, but wouldn't mind something a little bigger maybe. I'm also hoping the trex pro will fly better than my exi ever could, we'll see.

So my question: What's the next level up in quality over align, 450-550 size mainly? Probably stay with electric. It needs to have decently priced parts too. All I know about is align really. Not that I have a problem with align, I like align.

I want to look now so I know what's out there. Call it really early research because I don't plan on buying anything soon. But then again, that's what I said last time.
I've only had a could of Align ships and wasn't overly impressed. I would class them as the lowest of the mid-range. The gyro's and Esc's are also pretty poor IMO.
I got fed up of owning what everyone else owns too, so decided to move to different brands.
I now have a Gaui X5 which I really like (certainly mid range at least IMO) and a Mikado Logo 400 which is streets ahead of any Trex.
Parts are reasonably cheap for both, and the electronics have been great for me.
The frames on both of these stand up very well to crashes as well, even though the Micky uses a Polymer plastic frame.
I can only offer advice on Walkera, Blade, Align, Gaui, and Mikado and will ONLY offer advice on what I've owned.
Walkera and Blade are rubbish, the latter being a little better. Trex is so-so, and the other 2 are better.
I hear good things about Compass, Goblin, and Synergy, but can't give advice as I haven't owned them.
I am looking into buying a Synergy E5, but would need to read much more about it before parting with my Money.
I say buy the best you can afford, and quote what somebody on HF says;
" Don't buy cheap stuff then you can't call yourself an idiot ", or words to that effect.
I tried cheap and paid the consequences.
V999D02 is offline Find More Posts by V999D02
Last edited by V999D02; Nov 10, 2012 at 06:47 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:23 PM
Get to the choppa!
Joined Sep 2012
358 Posts
I dont think I have ever heard someone say that align is junk. I am not trying to say that they are the holy grail, but junk? I have a friend who has a walkeria master CP and it is decent, not the best heli out there, would not call it junk. I personally do not like blade heli'sbut they are pupular, and I agree that goblin's are cool. I seen one of those at a local RC airshow. Everything that I have seen that has the align name has been top notch.

Infact I have learned my lesson. If I had it to do over i would have just coughed up the extra money and started with the align 450 kit instead of going with the EXI.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:38 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,260 Posts
I suppose you can also look at the Rave 450 by Curtis Youngblood. However, I am quite sure it is made in China if you mind that. CYB is reported to have apartment in the same area where I live in Hong Kong. He does take QC very seriously and that is why he is spending much of his time in Hong Kong and China now.

The Synergy brand is probably produced in China as well. It was started by Stephen Fok who was an avid enthusiast in Hong Kong who had already made a fortune in the electronics industry. He was into racing cars as well and died in an accident during a race in 2010. As a result, ownership passed onto Matt Botos. The owner of Henseleit had been in discussion with Stephen Fok and it was likely a collaborative product would have been made if Stephen Fok were still alive.

Another brand to look out for is Kasama which is made in Thailand. Those who are into high end helicopters have reported that its workmanship is even better than Henseleit.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFDelie View Post
I dont think I have ever heard someone say that align is junk. I am not trying to say that they are the holy grail, but junk? I have a friend who has a walkeria master CP and it is decent, not the best heli out there, would not call it junk. I personally do not like blade heli'sbut they are pupular, and I agree that goblin's are cool. I seen one of those at a local RC airshow. Everything that I have seen that has the align name has been top notch.

Infact I have learned my lesson. If I had it to do over i would have just coughed up the extra money and started with the align 450 kit instead of going with the EXI.
I never called Align junk, and I'm sorry if you interpreted it as such. I just think that most of their stuff is at the bottom of the mid-range bracket.
I do think their Gyro's are poor though, certainly compared to the BeastX or VBar anyway.
Last edited by V999D02; Nov 10, 2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:36 PM
Get to the choppa!
Joined Sep 2012
358 Posts
Sry my fault.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:36 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I suppose you can also look at the Rave 450 by Curtis Youngblood. However, I am quite sure it is made in China if you mind that. CYB is reported to have apartment in the same area where I live in Hong Kong. He does take QC very seriously and that is why he is spending much of his time in Hong Kong and China now.

The Synergy brand is probably produced in China as well. It was started by Stephen Fok who was an avid enthusiast in Hong Kong who had already made a fortune in the electronics industry. He was into racing cars as well and died in an accident during a race in 2010. As a result, ownership passed onto Matt Botos. The owner of Henseleit had been in discussion with Stephen Fok and it was likely a collaborative product would have been made if Stephen Fok were still alive.

Another brand to look out for is Kasama which is made in Thailand. Those who are into high end helicopters have reported that its workmanship is even better than Henseleit.
Thanks for that. Interesting stuff.

I will do some research on the other brands you've pointed out.

My budget will be around $1500 so I will be doing some thorough reading before parting with my money as opposed to jumping in the deep end both feet first as I once regrettably did.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:00 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,705 Posts
Quote:

Check out the KDS line up over at hobby king. The price alone will tell you its not typical hk stuff. After now owning align's 450-500-550-600. ( and they all fly great-no sub par heli's here ) . Im pretty sure this KDS 550 will be my next build. Notice the frame and thick tail boom. I likes it.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...opter_Kit.html
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Last edited by Dejavu*Xion; Nov 10, 2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:02 AM
Get to the choppa!
Joined Sep 2012
358 Posts
The Kasama's look cool. I noticed that the dune 600 has the tail rotor on the left side. A lot of scale flyers will like that.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:32 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,218 Posts
Thank guys for the input. It's a ways off but I wanted to be ready.

I have thought about an apache, or a huey, they'd be sweet. But I like the looks of the goblin 500 too. I'll do more research into compass and synergy...

I don't know about hobbyking, it does look nice though.

zadaw: I have no problem with Chinese products, it's just extremely difficult to keep a standard of what's good and what's bad from China. I also know they make great things that other countries rebrand and take credit for anyway.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:33 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,218 Posts
Sorry I've lagged, thank guys for the input. It's a ways off but I wanted to be ready.

I have thought about an apache, or a huey, they'd be sweet. But I like the looks of the goblin 500 too. I'll do more research into compass and synergy...

I don't know about hobbyking, it does look nice though.

zadaw: I have no problem with Chinese products, it's just extremely difficult to keep a standard of what's good and what's bad from China. I also know they make great things that other countries rebrand and take credit for anyway.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:50 AM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,705 Posts
+ 1 finguz on the goblin 500. I to am waiting for this model to hit the shelfs. Will then compare notes on this and the KDS 550 . Who knows, You and i just may be building a goblin 500 at the same time.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:24 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Everything is made in China, and it doesn't say anything about the quality level of it. Aeroworks and Nitroplanes are both made in China.

For a step up in 450-land... look at this Rave 450... get the 4-cell setup.
Rave450 Test drive (4 min 1 sec)
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:25 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,218 Posts
Deja, for sure! Goblins are cool. Have you seen the ALZRC Devil 450 FAST conversion kit body for a 450 pro, for like $100? They say the canopy alone will fit the prok but there may not be room for the battery if you don't get the conversion kit.
http://www.rc711.com/shop/alzrc-devi...it-p-6590.html

Jasmine, I would expect the rave to be $$ in parts, maybe not, but I always see curtis youngblood's 325mm blades for like $40
Last edited by finguz; Nov 13, 2012 at 05:43 PM.