HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:36 AM
United States, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Feb 2012
370 Posts
My line of thinking has been I can build a lot of planes cheaper than a simulator and controller so I don't have that. My simulator is the wild blue yonder in the field across the street. It is sagebrush and rocks so landings are usually fatal. So far I've busted one servo, one esc went bonkers and one motor ( I think the magnets dislodged on impact I can't hardly turn it).

But everytime I rebuild or build a new plane I get better at it. Faster at it and trimmed better right from the get go. The fact that I have two bucks invested in the airframe takes a lot of pressure off. I know I'm eventually going to crash but I just don't care I laugh and go build another one. I actually have three planes ready to have electronics installed for spares. I'm going to win this game by sheer numbers.
Low and Slow is online now Find More Posts by Low and Slow
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:33 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
1,871 Posts
Yes that's true. I thought the same way until I finally decided I wanted a simulator. You can practice on it sitting on your couch in your PJ's, or when the weather isn't very nice outside. You can fly planes you won't likely own and push the envelope because of them. And it rubs off too, you do get better.
builderdude is online now Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:38 PM
Old Fogey-ish
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low and Slow View Post
My line of thinking has been I can build a lot of planes cheaper than a simulator and controller so I don't have that. My simulator is the wild blue yonder in the field across the street. It is sagebrush and rocks so landings are usually fatal. So far I've busted one servo, one esc went bonkers and one motor ( I think the magnets dislodged on impact I can't hardly turn it).

But everytime I rebuild or build a new plane I get better at it. Faster at it and trimmed better right from the get go. The fact that I have two bucks invested in the airframe takes a lot of pressure off. I know I'm eventually going to crash but I just don't care I laugh and go build another one. I actually have three planes ready to have electronics installed for spares. I'm going to win this game by sheer numbers.
That's my RC flying philosophy in a nut shell , and what the SUE is meant for !
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:06 PM
Old Fogey-ish
Joined Aug 2010
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_D View Post
I showed the video to the Missus again, and suggested to her that if we got a pair we could do choreographed flying... turning and swooping in unison... like when we were young and would Viennese Waltz in full Ball Gown and Suit (I looked funny in the ball gown).

She liked the romance of the image... and then smiled and said

It would help if you could actually fly one of these things.

OUCH

OUCH OUCH OUCH OUCH

She's right, yanno...
A couple of Night Vapors would be perfect for you and your wife to skydance together . By the way , they come COMPLETELY ready to fly ( just plug in the battery ) with the rudder on the aileron channel . ( hint hint ! ) Every ready to fly RTE plane I know of comes with the rudder on the aileron channel . ( hint hint ! )

Al
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:31 PM
United States, OH, Amesville
Joined Nov 2012
149 Posts
HOLY POOPIES !!! (but the patient died)

Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
A couple of Night Vapors would be perfect for you and your wife to skydance together . By the way , they come COMPLETELY ready to fly ( just plug in the battery ) with the rudder on the aileron channel . ( hint hint ! ) Every ready to fly RTE plane I know of comes with the rudder on the aileron channel . ( hint hint ! )

Al
I FLEW the NEKKID SUE.
Several times !
Until the final tree-mediated crash. (Same tree as ate the Hawk Sky)

If you ignore the last 15 seconds of the day, it was GREAT !!!!

Okay... part of me says "You should never take short cuts... if you are flying RTE then learn to fly RTE, not ATE" .. The reason being that if I'm ever flying a RTAE plane, and the A servo dies, knowing how to fly RTE will save the plane. On the other hand... I've been at this for WEEKS and I can't fly a balloon So, I was ready for what seems to be a shortcut.

So, I had a 800 maH battery in spare. Smaller, but I am eager, and I have a little time spare... so, I do yet another nose replacement on NEKKID SUE and go to the Aerodrome. (Insert Michael Jackson nose job joke here).

Okay, it's a bit windy, but I'm psyched. I'm ready. I got AILERONS baby !!!

Flight 1:

Pre flight check, enthusiasm high... run up the throttle to 60% and give 'er a heave.

HOLY POOPIES ... She's flying. Ooops, I need to turn. Hit the ailerons and it does a nice turn. Well, it would have been nice if some butter thumbed newbie wasn't yanking and cranking the sticks like a monkey on amphetamines... BUT, I remembered the words "if you let go of the sticks it will right itself"... so I did, and it DID !!! Okay, it's going the wrong direction, but I remember to nudge it gently (HAH) and after a cycle of about 20 over-steers and over-corrections I'm more or less heading the way I want... However, it's going slower and slower... I'm cranking the elevators up to keep her going up, and she keeps going slower... the nose points up more... (somebody forgets about throttle)... and finally she just sorta stops... and slides backwards... c.f. STALL.

Post-flight debriefing reveals flight crew error... YA FORGOT TO USE THE THROTTLE YA DING BAT. Tensions run high but I promise to buy myself a beer, so I forgive myself, and I prepare for the next flight.

Flight 2:

Pre flight check, run it up to 70% and give 'er a heave... EXCELLENT. I make a right turn. I make a left turn. I circle the field. I bring it towards me. I get confused because the plane is coming towards me, turn the wrong way, bank, flip, and I make like a mole !

Upon recovery a quick examination reveals that the propeller has screwed itself off the shaft. I suspect I didn't hit "kill" quickly enough and in just a few milliseconds at 5000 rpm it unscrewed the nut. In a hay field... Not even trying this time. FORTUNATELY the aviation repair facility is still open, so I go there and get a nut. Minor repairs later, and

Flight 3:

Preflight, 70%, heave... and we are UP UP UP... A few turns, some level flight, some panicked moments, and then I bring her down for what might charitably be called a "hard landing"... or a "controlled crash"... But nothing falls off. No repairs are needed. One could sorta call this "Flying" !!!

But then it happens... my out of work brother wanders over to watch SO far, everytime I gather an audience I experience DOOM. However, maybe my luck is changing. Here goes...

Flight 4:

Preflight, 70%, heave... and it's all good. I'm feeling cocky... I'm turning right. I'm turning left. I'm chatting with my brother and not paying enough attention to my plane's location... I notice that I'm circling a bit far out from the center and I'm heading near to the plane eating tree. No problem, I'll turn towards me and tighten the circle to avoid it... except, I'm already beyond the distance to the tree. SO, as I turn towards me, I am spiraling in towards the tree. I realize this as the tree lovingly reaches out it's branches and swallows up NEKKID SUE. However, this time she doesn't hang up in the branches 40' up. No, she hits a major branch, crunches her nose, the prop stick rips off, and the rapidly spinning prop does a Texas Chain Saw Massacre on the wing... Then the shredded corpse slowly slides out of the tree to flutter to the ground like a broken dream.

She's toast.. However, the prop shredding managed to miss all wires and components ! AMAZING.

So, how do you guys deal with depth perception? Is it that I am an old fart with antique eyes? Or is this a problem everybody has?

ANYWAY... I'm counting this as a success, even though it's time to retire NEKKID SUE. She'd need almost 50% replacement, and the remaining foam board is sorta bendy and crinkled. HOWEVER... the parts are all still good !

So... "we shall build again" ...

AD ASTRA !!!
Dan_D is offline Find More Posts by Dan_D
Last edited by Dan_D; Nov 29, 2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:03 PM
Old Fogey-ish
Joined Aug 2010
2,118 Posts
Reading with a smile on my face

Thoroughly enjoyed reading the latest chapter in the adventures of Dan ! So you're FLYING now - AWESOME !! Did NEKKID SUE seem to fly better with the 800mah battery ? Lighter makes a difference !

So are you going to build another NEKKID SUE , or is obese Lawn Dart going back up in the air ? You should be able to put together another NS in about 2-3 hours , don't you think ?

Al
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:34 PM
Joined Feb 2012
370 Posts
Way to go Dan I knew you could fly it. I think you got your dollars worth out of that piece of foamboard anyway don't you? I'm an old fart too and even the slow ones can get away pretty fast if your not on em. I try to stay a little closer cause its easy to lose orientation when they are out there a ways. They shrink and get hard to see.

I think you should buy some motors and parts and build a squadron of planes and go attack that tree. That tree needs to go. With the extra channels on your radio maybe you can trigger tree hugging missiles and take it out.

It's a long drive for you to the dollar store for foamboard so order a case of it and pick it up at the store next time you are going that way for something else. As far as parts I like to order a few things at a time some motors esc's props, stuff like that and build up a small inventory of spare parts. My local hobby shop is 80 miles away so its mail order everything for me. I get down that way maybe once every other month. And I saw one of those Vapor planes but it didn't have lights I don't think and I didn't really pay enough attention cause now I want one.

Who makes the Night Vapor anyway and where do you get one from?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined Feb 2012
370 Posts
Never mind the Parkzone Amazon dot com ouch a little spendy. Hmm I can build my own. Cost me about 20 bucks for parts I don't have plus whatever lights cost. I'll build two. One to learn on and crash and the new one with the lights.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:07 PM
Joined Nov 2012
149 Posts
"Bright Idea"

Quote:
Never mind the Parkzone Amazon dot com ouch a little spendy. Hmm I can build my own. Cost me about 20 bucks for parts I don't have plus whatever lights cost. I'll build two. One to learn on and crash and the new one with the lights.
Yeah, $100 for a BNF. OUCH. It's worth it in many ways, but it's fun to build 'em too. (And the missus is less likely to object). I'll bet there are a ton of instructions in these fora. However, what I wanted to tell you was to check out the light prices at lazertoyz dot com. I bought the bullet plugs from them, and they are selling strips of LEDs for $3/foot. So, I bought 10 feet in various colors ... never know when you might need a strip of lights, eh what ???
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:46 PM
Joined Nov 2012
149 Posts
Quote:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1230402

Four channel vapor homebuild, no lights
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:12 PM
Joined Feb 2012
370 Posts
Hey that's a cool plane but I think the guy over built it. I think a dart plane with a dowel for a fuse would work nicely. Strip the paper off the foam and lights shine through it pretty well. I would forego the ailerons and just use a rudder and elevator. With dihedral in the wing. Maybe frame the foam with bamboo skewers I got a sack full anyway.

Since I been wanting to build a dart for awhile I'm going to try that for a platform. Check out the flitetest dot com video on what they call a flitetest flyer its a dart with their swapable fuselage thing but flies the same.

How do you wire the lights? Do you wire them to a ;y connector to the battery or jump off the balance plug? Can they run off a 2 cell battery or is 7.2 volts too much? I'll bet even crash test dummies like us could fly a dart. Freaking people out at night sounds like too much fun to pass up. I'm going to read up on these led strips.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:31 PM
Old Fogey-ish
Joined Aug 2010
2,118 Posts
If you guys are thinking of building your own micros here is a great website for micro planes , especially the building techniques section . But you can't be allergic to working with small stuff !

http://mnewell.rchomepage.com/

Here's another one for $ 60 RTF ( no lights ) that you can get from Hobbytown .

http://www.hobbytown.com/Shop/-Ares-...r-preference)/

Ares Nano-Micro Stick 75 RTF Overview And Flight Demo At Hobbytown USA Orland (2 min 49 sec)

Al
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:50 PM
Old Fogey-ish
Joined Aug 2010
2,118 Posts
Quote:

How do you wire the lights? Do you wire them to a ;y connector to the battery or jump off the balance plug? Can they run off a 2 cell battery or is 7.2 volts too much? I'll bet even crash test dummies like us could fly a dart. Freaking people out at night sounds like too much fun to pass up. I'm going to read up on these led strips.

Low and Slow ,

for my park flyers I get LED lights from Hobbypartz . Roughly 10 cents a light or less . http://www.hobbypartz.com/ledlights.html scroll down the page past the car lights .
They work on any voltage up to 12v , lower voltage is dimmer , higher voltage is brighter . Very simple to wire up , just plug + to + , and - to - . I use a separate battery for the lights ( mounted on CG ) , 'cause if the plane is way up in the air and the lights go out ... hard to land it if you can't see it !

You're right , it IS a lot of fun freaking people out thinking they're seeing UFO's !

Al
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:13 AM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,335 Posts
Dan, I applaud you. Your determination and perseverance should be a beacon to others in this hobby. It seems like you're having a blast while learning. That's what it's all about. This thread is a fun and entertaining one and my hat is off to you Sir. These kind of threads are why I keep coming back to RCG. Congrats on your success and keep it going!

HBGB
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:24 AM
Old Fogey-ish
Joined Aug 2010
2,118 Posts
:d
Quote:
Originally Posted by heebeegeebee View Post
dan, i applaud you. Your determination and perseverance should be a beacon to others in this hobby. It seems like you're having a blast while learning. That's what it's all about. This thread is a fun and entertaining one and my hat is off to you sir. These kind of threads are why i keep coming back to rcg. Congrats on your success and keep it going!

Hbgb
I concur !