HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:02 PM
United States, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Feb 2012
458 Posts
Heck Dan you were flying the heck out of the plane till you hit the wire and that is more bad luck than anything. So you can fly. It is frustrating for me that I can't build stuff as fast as I crash it and I like building the stuff but I need more stick time too. If your plan calls for 9mm wing double up the foam and pull the paper off the inside surfaces, use hot glue or gorilla glue whatever you like and don't sweat the few gram weight gain.

That's the plan I got for the little pusher jet I wrecked I thought there's no way that thing will fly with that fat board for a wing well it flew quite a bit better than I did. If you want to save weight use a smaller battery that will cut the weight faster than anything. I took all the paper off that and cut a channel on the inside with my dremel and put a 1/8 carbon tube well 3mm and laminated it altogether. The paper weighs as much as the foam almost.

Another idea I had was then removing paper like in triangles sort of like a steel trellis. I leave the paper on all the edges and on the ailerons then peel the web off the foam half way and apply titebond 2 glue with a brush on the underside of the paper and glueing it back down and repeating for the remaining side. It positions itself if you do it half at a time. That saves quite a bit of weight and still has the rigidity leaving the paper on. Gotta leave it overnight though. Pin it down to keep it flat and that paper aint ever coming off that wing. Something to try I guess.
Low and Slow is offline Find More Posts by Low and Slow
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:31 PM
Joined Dec 2012
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low and Slow View Post
Heck Dan you were flying the heck out of the plane till you hit the wire and that is more bad luck than anything.
So, it's not that I'm a patz... it's that the spirits are out to get me ??? Not sure which is better.

All good ideas... thanks. However, I have a sneaky idea. Being a chemist I have tanks of hydrogen gas available. I'm going to put the de-papered foam in a hydrogen atmosphere until it exchanges the heavy blowing gas for super light hydrogen. THEN the plane will almost float on it's own !!!!

What could go wrong???

Ad Astra, unless there is a flaw in my plan
Dan
Ad_Astra is offline Find More Posts by Ad_Astra
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:40 PM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
Jus remember to paint it with a iron oxide and aluminum-impregnated cellulose acetate butyrate, then you should be safe
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:18 PM
Joined Feb 2012
458 Posts
It would be worth it to crash if I could get a big fireball hollywood type explosion I could sell tickets to see that, make enough to buy more parts except. I'd probably start a grass fire in this dry old cheat grass burn half the county up and end up in jail. Pass. You keep the hydrogen.

In my travels last weekend I did find a place that sold rocket motors and rocket kits. Hmmm. How far can a rocket go with wings on it. Never mind. That sounds bad. That would make it a cruise missile and I think they have laws about that. I wouldn't want to have to explain it the fire, the hole in the side of a guy's house all that stuff.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:24 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
9,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low and Slow View Post
It would be worth it to crash if I could get a big fireball hollywood type explosion I could sell tickets to see that, make enough to buy more parts except. I'd probably start a grass fire in this dry old cheat grass burn half the county up and end up in jail. Pass. You keep the hydrogen.

In my travels last weekend I did find a place that sold rocket motors and rocket kits. Hmmm. How far can a rocket go with wings on it. Never mind. That sounds bad. That would make it a cruise missile and I think they have laws about that. I wouldn't want to have to explain it the fire, the hole in the side of a guy's house all that stuff.
If you're talking about estes rockets and motors, then a lot of people have built gliders which are launched to several hundred or thousand feet via rockets and then glided back down to earth via traditional rc control
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:41 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Very windy flight of the hawksky ! To crazy but fun !
Hawksky windy fun (5 min 27 sec)
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:25 AM
Joined Dec 2012
308 Posts
Okay.....

Well, having sliced up all of my radio receivers and being without the ability to fly, I have spent the last few days reading about various radio protocols. Trying to figure out if I should change my 9X radio to DSMx or FASST or what...

I have read the reviews, I have read the anecdotes, I have tried to find datasheets and details. They are not easy to find. How about some hard data such as uV/cm at distances, radiated FS diagrams, etc.. ??? NO.

Then, I saw an auction on eBay with "Buy it now" ... and having quite a few adult beverages under my belt... I decided TO HECK WITH THE RESEARCH and I bought an Anylink and a few receivers...

So, in just a few days I'll be able to crash again.

Al... I am working on a surprise for you !!!

Ad Astra
Dan
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:27 AM
Joined Dec 2012
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
Very windy flight of the hawksky ! To crazy but fun !
WOOOWWWWWWW What a rainbow of a plane !!!!!

Ad Astra, over the rainbow !!!!
Dan
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:55 AM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,857 Posts
Al... I am working on a surprise for you !!!

Ad Astra
Dan[/QUOTE]

WHAT !?! OK , don't keep me waiting too long !

Al
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:37 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad_Astra View Post
WOOOWWWWWWW What a rainbow of a plane !!!!!

Ad Astra, over the rainbow !!!!
Dan
LOL yea it is a friends plane, he has enough paint and glue on it for 3 planes
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:12 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2012
319 Posts
How's the weather over there?

It's been too windy to fly here for 4-5 days now...
datura is offline Find More Posts by datura
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:44 PM
Joined Dec 2012
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by datura View Post
How's the weather over there?

It's been too windy to fly here for 4-5 days now...
I was SO EXCITED... I looked at my weather forecast and there were two long flat spots with predicted wind at ZERO.

Then I noticed - it's in the middle of the night

Here is the forecast I use http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...it=0&dd=0&bw=0

I like the wind data... speed and direction !!!

However, things haven't been at a dead stop at Ad Astra Aerodrome ! Oh No... We've been reading, plotting, planning.... building ... and the Anylink transmitter and DSM2 receivers arrived today !!! So, as soon as I interface the Anylink with my modded ER9X, I'll have radio signals again.

And... I've been hacking on a MultiWii Pro board... I've got it up and running, reflashed the firmware, having fun with the GPS, etc... Hell, maybe if __I__ can't fly for diddly I'll hire a computer to do it for me. I'll just give it suggestions - "go that way" "climb to 150"

Ad Astra, with somebody else driving

Dan
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:37 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,857 Posts
Still waiting for my surprise .......

Al
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:11 AM
Joined Dec 2012
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
Still waiting for my surprise .......

Al
Knitting takes time !!!!
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:14 AM
Joined Feb 2012
458 Posts
Hey Al. I know what it is your going to like it ha ha. I been laminating some pieces of foam and gorilla glue kinda messy and I'm too slow with hot glue to get stuff positioned and covered correctly unless I get the glue too hot. I picked up a can of loctite spray adhesive the medium grade and omg its the bomb. It tacks up pretty hard pretty fast but you got a little time and I glued two pieces together laid a book on them next morning that thing was a piece of lumber.

Another glue I like is loctite go2 glue. Like gorilla white only it doesn't foam. I am using these on a modified wing plan I like using dollartree foam and doubling everything to 9mm. Then covering with towerkote. Any of you guys try these yet?

Then I can start building my new Albotross plane yay Rick