HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:23 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad_Astra View Post
I ain't givin' up... nobody gets nowhere by givin' up. BUT, I gotta get past this point.

I sorta did okay with the poor old Hawk Sky before I broke it up. I actually had a couple of half decent flights, and a sort of landing... It's all glued together again and maybe I should try it again... if I can figure out how to push the prop onto the prop shaft. It's not just a tight fit... its an amazingly tight fit. I don't want to break it while pushing the prop on.

The slow stick is at a temporary standstill as I had bought most of the parts for the biplane conversion. Now that I'm in the middle, I see what parts I was missing. So, they've been ordered and will arrive middle of next week.

On the other hand, maybe flying a slow stick biplane conversion is the wrong idea. Maybe I should get something ANYBODY could fly. Gain a little confidence. Maybe something like a helium balloon.

Dan
I think I have already made this recommendation to you , but the easiest flying plane I have come across so far is the EZfly from Fancy Foam , and it's only $25 . Protected motor/prop , and made from EPP so it can take bumpy landings . The electronics from the HEMI SUE should work on an EZfly . But as always , build to fly ( LIGHT ! ) , not to crash ( too much reinforcement ) !

http://www.fancyfoam.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=309

Al
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:07 PM
United States, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Feb 2012
417 Posts
I feel your pain Dan. I crashed two of my planes well the two I really liked that flew better than me. And I have been slammed at work so I have little time to build. I bought one of those crash test albatross planes. Well I ordered it yesterday and the parts a week ago so it should maybe be here in a week. Plain old tractor ret and it weighs about a ton. Supposed to fly slow though we'll see. Change of pace plane. And an excuse to buy more motors and parts.

I also hooked up an x box controller to my pc and downloaded rc deskpilot so I could practice stupid stuff without actually turning my foamboard wings into foam snow. I think it is helping my eye thumb coordination. Some people have added several scratchbuild planes I added to it I think I google searched and followed a link to find them. There is delta wing planes and flying wings, gliders all kinds of stuff to mess with. And its free.

This time I have ice water in my veins, nerves of a gunfighter, and this time I will not fail.
Low and Slow is online now Find More Posts by Low and Slow
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:36 PM
Joined Dec 2012
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low and Slow View Post
I feel your pain Dan.
Put your hands on my head... can ya feel tha STOOPID?

Because I'm either being enthusiastic, or stupid, or both. So, Al recommended the dragon plane because it's a good beginner's plane. I looked at the videos, and I decided to go for it. That's the enthusiastic part.

Then I looked at my wallet, and decided that I couldn't buy yet another plane or I wouldn't escape The Wrath of The Missus

So... what does a sane person do? How in heck would I know. Nope. Instead, I decided that I have a huge amount of foam board... just because the plans call for 9 mm depron, and I have 5 mm DTFB, this shouldn't stop me

A few calculations later and I determine that DTFB is about 2.8 times heavier than 1.3 lb depron. Hm... heavy plane...not good.

But wait ! The nose of the Dragon plane is 27 mm thick... I can get 25 mm with 5 layers of foam, with the center three significantly swiss-cheesed to reduce weight. In addition, I can remove the paper from many of mating surfaces, thus saving an additional 30% of the weight. HEY, this is starting to look complex, but doable. Lessee... if I use a modified KFm3 I can get those flight characteristics, and do it in DTFB. Also, lets make the wing BIGGER so I can reduce the effective weight contribution of the fuse... hey, I might get this puppy down to only 1.4 times wing loading.

Then I stop and I think to my self. "Self. I can't FLY fer beans, and I'm designing airplanes? Airplanes that will be test flown by The Worlds Most Sucky Pilot ??? That would be STOOOOPID. "

You know when I stopped to think that? After laying out the construction lines on the foam, and while making coffee to see me through the first part of the construction tonight... YUP, it's STOOOOPID, and I'm doing it.

Ad Astra, per STOOOPID.

Dan
Ad_Astra is offline Find More Posts by Ad_Astra
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:07 AM
Joined Feb 2012
417 Posts
You ever work on a car and something won't come apart no matter how much you try? Walk away for awhile and come back and it comes apart immediately? I've done stuff like that. I figure I'll walk away from my wing and come back to it and wonder what the problem was.

I don't know what a dragon plane is but yeah try something else and then come back to your super easy. I like the idea of a slowstick but not with the little fandango motor it comes with I don't have that kind of gear. I do see a slowstick that comes with a brushless motor at fidelgo's hobby for fifty bucks. That thing ought to fly like a kite almost with the wing it has. Not that I can fly a kite either. But I'll always think I should have been able to.I think I am rationalizing and talking myself into that one too since I am working sweatshop hours

I went to lhs hobbytown (90 miles) yesterday while making my monthly shopping run. I think I saw your old plane well anyway a gentle lady glider thing. What a beautiful plane it was. It was also 400 clams. Ouch. That's what I paid for my first car and worked all summer earning the money. Pass. With that kind of money it's not fun anymore its a job. I'll probably mostly stick to the dollartree scratchbuilds myself. The fun/money ratio is higher..
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:03 PM
Joined Dec 2012
308 Posts
A little better... somewhat... sorta

Okay,

I didn't have enough time to get the Dragon Plane finished, and so I decided to take my least damaged SUE out of retirement... that's poor ol PAINTED SUE. She was actually in decent condition except for some serious wrinkling around the prop slot. Nose-in landings had hammered the weight of the back part of the plane into the front part often enough that she had bent and twisted...

So, some time with a heat gun, bamboo skewers, hot melt glue and reinforced tape and she became SUE WITH BRACES.

So, out to the flying field... test the flight surfaces. Point the plane away from me, move aileron stick to the right... yup, the aileron on the right goes up. Test the other aileron direction, yup. Looks good.

So, I test the rudder, the throttle, looks GOOD. Lets go. Run her up to 70% and give her a toss. UP, UP... MORE UP is needed. Then I try to turn. She immediately noses over and heads straight to the center of the earth.

HUH?

I go over and check. Well, nothing damaged. Take her back and start the pre-"flight" checks. Rudder, aileron... I push the stick to the right and the elevator on the right goes down.

"Wait", you say... "would you repeat that?"

Yeah... it went DOWN.

I check the model selection. Yes, I have it on "Aileron SUE". So, I check the settings in the radio. Hmmmm.... the INV selection is selected. I vaguely remember selecting that, but why didn't it show up in the preflight?

It takes me about 5 minutes, but I eventually figure it out. ER9X firmware doesn't lock in the model selection until you hit SELECT and then EXIT. I had done the selection, and then tested it before hitting EXIT. I had done that so I wouldn't have to reselect and enter the adjustment section if I needed to INV or anything. So, I had been testing using the PREVIOUS MODEL selection still.

Okay, mistakes. I am learning SOOOO much... I wish I wasn't learning sooo much. I wish I could just go out and fly like one born to the air. Or fly like a gooney bird. Anything other than flying like a brick. No wait... even BRICKS can fly better than me.

*SIGH*

Oh well, now it should work... but wait... what about this "MORE UP MORE UP" ??? I look. Oh hey... when you select a new model it doesn't change the trim settings. I was still using the trim from the HEMISUE. Okay, set trims to null.

Now... lets try. Check controls. All good.

Run her up to 70% and give her a toss. She's up, she's flying. SHe's going straight. I'm frozen with fear to touch the ailerons. A little less throttle and she levels out at 50 feet. I can go straight. IS THAT GOOD ENOUGH? Should I just land and call it a day? No, I better turn, the end of the hay field is coming up soon. Which way should I turn? Oh heck, lets turn LEFT. I turn left. The crowd in my head goes wild !!! She's flying...

I am not kidding...

She's flying. And then... in mid air... she STOPS. I don't mean the motor stops. I don't mean she slows down. NO. She STOPS. As if she hit Marcel Marceau's wall. Of course, if you've been following the thread you know what happened. I found the high power line again. The chances of me hitting that line are probably 1 in a gazillion.... but I not only hit it... I apparently hit it square on the 1" wide flat spot on the nose .

She falls off the wire and plummets... straight down... nose first... THUD.

Lawndart.

I go over and collect her, and she's looking a bit wrinkled... but, I brought out the skewers and tape, so a little more reinforcing and she's sorta okay...

The next flight was better. In fact, it was almost good. Except somebody got STOOPID.

She's off, I fly a couple of circuits to the left. I fly a couple of circuits to the right. I pass under the power line, I pass over the power line. I do some figure eights. I'm doing GOOD. I might be able to tell Bixler Boy that he's got competition !!!! So, I decide to show off. I run her up to 80 feet or so, push her nose over, give her full throttle, dive her down, and pull her up to do a loop !!! Yes, she's going straight up. Over the top, down... I am straining on that stick as if my bending it will help her come up... the nose is coming up... she's at 60 degrees, 45 degrees... 30 degrees... almost level !!!!

Where did that ground come from? Who put the ground so high up?

I walk over and collect the various bits... the radio had peeled off the velcro and took a blade cut to the body... the battery was off over in the alfalfa... and the prop was a pirate prop... one leg... ARRRR

But, I had tools and spare parts. So, I take her over the to the Hay Bale table, and get out my various tools and tapes... and in just a few minutes she's READY TO RISE AGAIN. PHOENIX ARISING !!!! This time I also added extra tape to the Radio and wires... I don't want them visiting Mr Propeller again.

Note to self... no loops for a while.

The last flight of the day was Okay... it was neither glorious or putrid. I did a few lazy circuits around the field, flirted with the trees, did a fly-by at 8', and was doing okay until ... whatever happens in my brain happened... and I dumb thumbed it ... rollover, and straight into the ground. There must be some sort of RC Tourettes in my mind... it makes me spasm out crashes instead of profanities...

Still, it hadn't seemed like that hard of a crash. She looked more or less solid, but as I approached I did my standard little aileron test... no ailerons... I get close, and the radio has stripped off of the weakened Velcro, again. The receiver visited Mr Propeller, and like the butcher in Three Blind Mice... he cut off the receiver's tail. The antenna was cut off neatly 1/2 inch from the case. It was circumcised...

So, that was the end of flying for the day. For a while... until I resolve my qustions about best protocol (FASST, AFHSS, DSM2, DSMx, etc), and buy the appropriate receivers and transmitter module (if necessary). I am out of receivers until I do that...

Unless I can manage to solder the fiendishly tiny little receiver coax from one dead receiver onto this one with the non-consenting circumcision...

Ad Astra... leaving behind a string of parts on the way

Dan
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:06 PM
Joined Dec 2012
308 Posts
Quote:
You ever work on a car and something won't come apart no matter how much you try? Walk away for awhile and come back and it comes apart immediately?
I own a 1972 MGB ... I work on it and if it doesn't come apart then I gotta get it to come apart before I leave. If I walk away, then when I come back it's probable that the hood won't open.

And it has Lucas electrics. Lucas, the Prince of Darkness.

Dan
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:41 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,556 Posts
Aaahhh ...... that was the fix I needed ! Thank you , Dan ! Almost as good as being there thanks to your terrific writing abilities !

Al
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:42 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2012
319 Posts
Quote:

I might be able to tell Bixler Boy that he's got competition !!!!
Dan
Hey, that's Dollar Tree Jet Boy to you!

out of focus lights (0 min 53 sec)
datura is offline Find More Posts by datura
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:47 PM
Joined Dec 2012
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by datura View Post
Hey, that's Dollar Tree Jet Boy to you!
Whimper...
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:50 AM
Joined Feb 2012
417 Posts
Well if you can deal with working on Lucas wiring rebuilding your plane ought to be easy. I guess I forgot that ezfly plane was called a dragon. That should be a cool plane. Add a tail hook and see if you can snag that wire lol. Then you can practice carrier landings.

The towerkote stuff seems to work okay no melted foam or twisted wings but I'm not sure its faster than taping. I had to dogsit my daughters dog and it found a box with shiny colored rolls of tape in it and ate them. What a cutie. Meanwhile I think the boat delivering my motor is hung up in the ice around Antarctica so me and the eight bucks I saved are sitting here waiting.

So what happened to the Bix? You killed it didn't you.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:20 AM
Joined Dec 2012
308 Posts
Quote:
Well if you can deal with working on Lucas wiring rebuilding your plane ought to be easy. [snip]

Add a tail hook and see if you can snag that wire lol. Then you can practice carrier landings.

I had to dogsit my daughters dog and it found a box with shiny colored rolls of tape in it and ate them. What a cutie.
Oh, the BUILDING is easy.... it's the flying. I am sure I could crash a helium balloon. Too much left brain or something.

Okay... so, I managed to snag the wire. NOW the plane is dangling 30 feet up hanging off of a 14.4 KV wire. Now what? I know, I'll get the aluminum ladder and go get it.

EXPENSIVE dog treats.

Ad Astra, extra crispy
Dan
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:56 AM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2012
319 Posts
Quote:
Whimper...
I kid, I kid!

Dan, you are truly the best at documenting your tragedies and spinning them into comedy gold I still crash plenty but my stories aren't very funny so I mostly keep them to myself
datura is offline Find More Posts by datura
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:51 AM
Joined Feb 2012
417 Posts
Part of the fun with a 3 dollar airplane is crashing. Not so for the noob that spent a bunch of money for a rtc (ready to crash) plane. Instructors? Probably a good idea but I don't know any. Besides, did Orville and Wilbur Wright have instructors? We don't need no stinking instructors.Well we do but we don't have any.

My problem is I can't stop from doing stupid stuff well cool stuff I don't know how to do. I can put a plane into a really cool death spiral I just have to figure out how to fly out of it.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:51 AM
Joined Dec 2012
308 Posts
Quote:
My problem is I can't stop from doing stupid stuff well cool stuff I don't know how to do. I can put a plane into a really cool death spiral I just have to figure out how to fly out of it.
My brother suggested installing a nose spring. I laughed.

I keep thinking about the idea... Hmmm... Nose spring? Airbags? Sonar deployed parachute? Retrorockets?

If nothing else, I've been thinking about the construction of the SUE, and the fact that Miss Receiver has visited Mr Propeller twice, with bad results each time. I have go get a duenna !!! I have some ideas. Won't make me a better flier, per se', but if I can spend more time flying and less time waiting for new parts to arrive I'll learn quicker.

Wow... learning to fly... is it really possible? Well, ugly ducklings grow up to be swans sometimes.... or maybe I'm just an ugly duck.

Ad Astra, trailing feathers
Dan
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:55 AM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,377 Posts
Quote:
If it's a true spin, opposite rudder will cure the problem (and get off of the elevator, which can increase the problem..)

Quote:
If nothing else, I've been thinking about the construction of the SUE, and the fact that Miss Receiver has visited Mr Propeller twice, with bad results each time. I have go get a duenna !!! I have some ideas. Won't make me a better flier, per se', but if I can spend more time flying and less time waiting for new parts to arrive I'll learn quicker.
Dan
Miss Receiver got airscrewed
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick