HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:26 AM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad_Astra View Post
Al... when are you going to make a SUE biplane ???

The gauntlet has been thrown !!!!

Ad Astra, in biplanes !

Dan
OK , now I HAVE to ! Can't say no to a thrown gauntlet challenge !

Al
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:14 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,448 Posts
Dan , I didn't know this existed until a few minutes ago - did you ? 26" WS MINI-SlowStick ! Comes with a brushed motor .

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...w-Stick/Detail
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:20 PM
Joined Dec 2012
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
Dan , I didn't know this existed until a few minutes ago - did you ? 26" WS MINI-SlowStick ! Comes with a brushed motor .

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...w-Stick/Detail
So much to buy... so little money !!!!

Now that the snow on the pond ice has melted, if we can get several nights of good cold weather without a fresh snowfall I'll be able to try out a project I have in the wings (so to speak) - the RC ice skate sled !!!! I need a pond full of smooth ice that isn't covered by snow.

She was quick to build, because she looks suspiciously like a too-heavy corruplast hovercraft that has been fitted with ice skates...

Ad Astra, on repurposed rockets.
Dan
Ad_Astra is offline Find More Posts by Ad_Astra
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:11 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,448 Posts
Quote:
So much to buy... so little money !!!!

Now that the snow on the pond ice has melted, if we can get several nights of good cold weather without a fresh snowfall I'll be able to try out a project I have in the wings (so to speak) - the RC ice skate sled !!!! I need a pond full of smooth ice that isn't covered by snow.

She was quick to build, because she looks suspiciously like a too-heavy corruplast hovercraft that has been fitted with ice skates...

Ad Astra, on repurposed rockets.
Dan
What did you use for skates ? Don't forget to charge the hat-cam !

Al
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:36 PM
Joined Dec 2012
308 Posts
Quote:
What did you use for skates ? Don't forget to charge the hat-cam !

Al
Well, skate technology is highly advanced. One should determine the weight of the object to be skated, and then vary the surface area of the skate blades so as to produce enough pressure to liquify a layer of water between 4 to 15 microns thick. Of course, that means that you will need to use different sized skates for different temperatures.

Or, you could buy old butter knives from Goodwill and re-purpose them.

Ad Astra
Dan
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:59 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,448 Posts
Quote:
Well, skate technology is highly advanced. One should determine the weight of the object to be skated, and then vary the surface area of the skate blades so as to produce enough pressure to liquify a layer of water between 4 to 15 microns thick. Of course, that means that you will need to use different sized skates for different temperatures.

Or, you could buy old butter knives from Goodwill and re-purpose them.

Ad Astra
Dan
Ok ... PHEW ! For a second there I thought you were going high-tech ! Glad to hear you're going with stuff layin' around !

Can't wait to see the video !

Al
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:38 AM
United States, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Feb 2012
416 Posts
I'm glad you got the skate thing figured out. You just can't leave that pond alone huh? I can't wait to see that. I thought maybe you were in the basement building a jato sue plane or a rocket or something lol.

I bought some towerkote laminate film. I hate taping colors on my plane I always do pretty good then wrinkle it up.
Doesn't seem to hurt nothing but maybe the lam film is faster? I used monokote once a long time ago it made a heck of a wing but that was over balsa ribs. I hope this stuff is low enough temp to not melt my plane. Any of you guys have any experience with this stuff? The price was right at 7 bucks a roll I think maybe 25 square feet. Seems like it would be great on a foam boat hull maybe a small airboat or skateboat?
Low and Slow is online now Find More Posts by Low and Slow
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:18 AM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low and Slow View Post
I'm glad you got the skate thing figured out. You just can't leave that pond alone huh? I can't wait to see that. I thought maybe you were in the basement building a jato sue plane or a rocket or something lol.

I bought some towerkote laminate film. I hate taping colors on my plane I always do pretty good then wrinkle it up.
Doesn't seem to hurt nothing but maybe the lam film is faster? I used monokote once a long time ago it made a heck of a wing but that was over balsa ribs. I hope this stuff is low enough temp to not melt my plane. Any of you guys have any experience with this stuff? The price was right at 7 bucks a roll I think maybe 25 square feet. Seems like it would be great on a foam boat hull maybe a small airboat or skateboat?
No experience with towerkote, but do a lot of experimenting on scrap foam until you get the right combination of heat and speed with which you move the iron.

I get the tape wrinkles routinely as well. How I handle it is to instead of smashing it down so it forms a tight ridge, I leave it bubbled up and puffy, then take a super sharp razor knife and slice it right down the middle. usually you can fold the sides in flat releasing the air and wind up with only a tiny bit of an overlap.
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:50 PM
United States, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Feb 2012
416 Posts
The iron I bought of course isn't calibrated so I'm taking it to work and plug it in and use the shops digital infrared thermometer to give me some better idea how hot medium is. I am mostly out of colored tape and since I have to order that anyway I figured I'd give this a try. I saw a guys plane pics on another forum and he loves the stuff and he had nice looking planes. I know monocote can shrink quite a bit which could just give me a twisted up mess but I'll experiment I got scrap. Come to think of it I have four or five planes that are scrap. This stuff is low temp and I don't think will shrink as much.

If nothing else I can cut it into shapes and use it for trim.
Low and Slow is online now Find More Posts by Low and Slow
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:58 AM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low and Slow View Post
The iron I bought of course isn't calibrated so I'm taking it to work and plug it in and use the shops digital infrared thermometer to give me some better idea how hot medium is. I am mostly out of colored tape and since I have to order that anyway I figured I'd give this a try. I saw a guys plane pics on another forum and he loves the stuff and he had nice looking planes. I know monocote can shrink quite a bit which could just give me a twisted up mess but I'll experiment I got scrap. Come to think of it I have four or five planes that are scrap. This stuff is low temp and I don't think will shrink as much.

If nothing else I can cut it into shapes and use it for trim.
to prevent the warping, do both sides quickly one after the other, shrink tension should pull it back straight before the foam has time to really warp permanently.
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:58 PM
Joined Dec 2012
308 Posts
Okay... I feel discouraged.

Most of the snow has melted. There was no wind. So I repaired HEMI SUE (the half sized SUE). She wasn't as pretty as before, and she was heavier because I didn't uncase the new receiver. So, she was 10 grams heavier. This put the CoG about 1/2 more forward to about 1/2" in front of the prop slot. Unless I started adding lead to the tail or doing major rennovations such as using long extensions and moving the radio back behind the prop slot... I wasn't going to get it to move. Still... "1/2 inch too far forward can't be that bad, can
it?"

So, we went out the field... I was filled with hope. Sun was shining, no wind, crisp but nice day... test the flight surfaces, test the motor, and LETS GO.

Run the throttle up to 60%, give her a toss... and she cruises about 50' before nosing in.

A bit nose heavy, eh ???

So, I tape a few pennies to the butt, add more elevator up trim, and get the CoG right to the front of the prop slot. NOW WE ARE COOKIN'

I look back at that young, brash, enthusiastic youth of this morning... oh, I miss those days...

Test the flight surfaces, run the throttle up to 75%, and give her a toss. YES, she's flying !!! I give her a bit of up elevator and she doesn't respond eagerly, but she's willing to go up a bit. MORE THROTTLE. Now she's starting to climb a little faster. Also, she's nearing the end of the field so I put in a little left aileron. She immediately turns turtle and heads for the center of the earth.

Again.

Okay... it was expected and sorta funny the first 2 dozen times. It was within tolerable limits the next 2 dozen times. But now... no humor arises. No bemused nature. I gather up the bits looking at the broken prop still firmly affixed to the prop saver (what do those things do? They sure don't save my props.) and I trudge the long long 100 yards to the Ad Astra Plane Graveyard...

I walk into the house.

"Hi Dear, how was your flying?"
"mmmph"
"Oh dear... that bad?"
"mmm"
"Oh DEAR... have you thought that maybe this is one of those things you can't do?"
<silence>
"Well, you'll get past this."

----

Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright;
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light,
And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout;
But there is no joy in Astraville - wimpy Astra has flunked out.

Maybe spelunking?

Dan
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:46 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,448 Posts
Quote:
Okay... I feel discouraged.

Most of the snow has melted. There was no wind. So I repaired HEMI SUE (the half sized SUE). She wasn't as pretty as before, and she was heavier because I didn't uncase the new receiver. So, she was 10 grams heavier. This put the CoG about 1/2 more forward to about 1/2" in front of the prop slot. Unless I started adding lead to the tail or doing major rennovations such as using long extensions and moving the radio back behind the prop slot... I wasn't going to get it to move. Still... "1/2 inch too far forward can't be that bad, can
it?"

So, we went out the field... I was filled with hope. Sun was shining, no wind, crisp but nice day... test the flight surfaces, test the motor, and LETS GO.

Run the throttle up to 60%, give her a toss... and she cruises about 50' before nosing in.

A bit nose heavy, eh ???

So, I tape a few pennies to the butt, add more elevator up trim, and get the CoG right to the front of the prop slot. NOW WE ARE COOKIN'

I look back at that young, brash, enthusiastic youth of this morning... oh, I miss those days...

Test the flight surfaces, run the throttle up to 75%, and give her a toss. YES, she's flying !!! I give her a bit of up elevator and she doesn't respond eagerly, but she's willing to go up a bit. MORE THROTTLE. Now she's starting to climb a little faster. Also, she's nearing the end of the field so I put in a little left aileron. She immediately turns turtle and heads for the center of the earth.

Again.

Okay... it was expected and sorta funny the first 2 dozen times. It was within tolerable limits the next 2 dozen times. But now... no humor arises. No bemused nature. I gather up the bits looking at the broken prop still firmly affixed to the prop saver (what do those things do? They sure don't save my props.) and I trudge the long long 100 yards to the Ad Astra Plane Graveyard...

I walk into the house.

"Hi Dear, how was your flying?"
"mmmph"
"Oh dear... that bad?"
"mmm"
"Oh DEAR... have you thought that maybe this is one of those things you can't do?"
<silence>
"Well, you'll get past this."

----

Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright;
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light,
And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout;
But there is no joy in Astraville - wimpy Astra has flunked out.

Maybe spelunking?

Dan
Hey Dan , Ad Astra is still a go , maybe just not on a 1/2 size SUE with a receiver as big as the battery . Are any of your full size SUE's still airworthy ? Or make an IWASUE ... or how close to ready is your SlowStick ? I've had plenty of unsuccessful planes ( both home made and store bought ) , I just leave 'em behind and move on . And I know you have had successful planes and flights 'cause you've described them in this thread !

Regroup and Ad Astra !

Al
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:29 PM
Joined Dec 2012
308 Posts
Quote:
Hey Dan , Ad Astra is still a go , maybe just not on a 1/2 size SUE with a receiver as big as the battery . Are any of your full size SUE's still airworthy ? Or make an IWASUE ... or how close to ready is your SlowStick ? I've had plenty of unsuccessful planes ( both home made and store bought ) , I just leave 'em behind and move on . And I know you have had successful planes and flights 'cause you've described them in this thread !

Regroup and Ad Astra !

Al
I tried that. I got out the Uberlite. No trimming, no issues... just go fly it.

So, I got out the uberlite and went to the parking lot. Plugged all the little magnetic bits together... test the control surfaces, test the motor, GOOD TO GO.

First "flight" was a bit short. It hit the only pebble sized rock on the cement... nosed over.

Second flight was a bit longer... I decided that the salt and gravel that had been laid down wouldn't be good for it, so I held it delicately between thumb and forefinger, revved her up, and gave it a toss. She promptly flew downwards at a 1 in 4 sort of slope in spite of me pulling up the elevator like a demented monkey trying to grab the last banana. THUD.

I went and collected all the scattered parts, reassembled the poor little plane, and tested everything. ALL good to go !

This time I revved her all the way up ! I figured that extra thrust means extra up on these small planes, and I probably always had them revved to the max when taking off from a flat surface. I gave her a toss and she started to fly lovely... Then I touched left rudder.

Not ailerons.

Rudder.

The plane proceeded to emulate the HEMI SUE. She turned turtle, and nosed in at Warp 3... breaking BOTH WINGS.

I have flown this little plane a dozen times. But this day it was like a giant magnet in the earth turned on... SUCKKKKKKKRASH.... I have flown this plane into the cement, into water pipes, light fixtures, fire trucks... it has never crashed so resoundingly. I have never broken it up into a sad little ball of tears before.

I gently carried it back to the hospital, listening to it's little whimpers and cries of pain. I have promised it that with a little carbon tow and foam safe CA it will fly again... but, my heart is crushed. Poor little plane, all it wants to do is fly around like a pretty little bug... and I'm crushing it's poor little soul with my ham-thumbs.

I don't drink but once or twice a year... but maybe today is a good day for it.

Ad Spiritus, ad oblivia
Dan
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:20 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,448 Posts
Fresh start tomorrow ....?
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:08 PM
Joined Dec 2012
308 Posts
Quote:
Fresh start tomorrow ....?
I ain't givin' up... nobody gets nowhere by givin' up. BUT, I gotta get past this point.

I sorta did okay with the poor old Hawk Sky before I broke it up. I actually had a couple of half decent flights, and a sort of landing... It's all glued together again and maybe I should try it again... if I can figure out how to push the prop onto the prop shaft. It's not just a tight fit... its an amazingly tight fit. I don't want to break it while pushing the prop on.

The slow stick is at a temporary standstill as I had bought most of the parts for the biplane conversion. Now that I'm in the middle, I see what parts I was missing. So, they've been ordered and will arrive middle of next week.

On the other hand, maybe flying a slow stick biplane conversion is the wrong idea. Maybe I should get something ANYBODY could fly. Gain a little confidence. Maybe something like a helium balloon.

Dan