Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:57 AM
Joined Dec 2012
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post

The plane in this video uses that type of VPP

Al
Oh wow... Now I feel TOTTAAAALLLLY inadequate.

Oh well, once I get my new receiver, maybe I'll be able to fly past 200 ' without auguring in. So, always hope... always hope

Ad Astra
Dan
Ad_Astra is offline Find More Posts by Ad_Astra
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:10 AM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2012
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad_Astra View Post
WOW That could be pretty neat... But I wish they had a picture and better description of how it works. Its hard to feel justified in plonking down $55 with no photos, no reviews, no technical details... I'd like to know if it's variable pitch in flight by servo control... that would be ultimately kewl. That would be worth $55. But, if it requires time with a screw driver on the ground adjusting the angles on both (all three?) blades... and they are not geared so one might accidentally get different pitches... well, thats not so exciting. Also, it doesn't give the limits on the pitch adjustment... can one actually reverse the thrust?

Another, cheaper, old-skool technique might be to use a solid state DPDT solenoid and reverse two of the motor wires. That would run the motor backwards. Might also be a great way to let all of the magic smoke out of an ESC if you switch it while the motor is turning and have too much back EMF into the ESC. I don't know - haven't looked at the circuit diagrams. I just wouldn't be surprised if this didn't turn out to be a Very Bad Idea Indeed. I have a lot of those.

Actually, having just bought a Slow Stick I feel like I've spent my budget for the month... In fact, having just paid for my brother's lawyer... well, that's a different story.

Do you have any more data on these ???

Ad Astra, but a map helps...

Dan
Maybe you could find a collective pitch head from a heli They tend to be fragile though :/

Regarding reversing the motor "in-flight", I am pretty sure you wouldn't want the motor spinning when you suddenly switch two of the wires... I know you probably know this but it's fun to think about what might actually happen.

I posit that the motor would be working as a generator running 180 degrees out of phase on two of the wires in that case. All of the angular momentum of the spinning prop would act like a flywheel to power the miniature 3 phase generator that is your motor

Say your lines are A,B,C and the solenoid swaps B and C. A would stay in phase but B and C would suddenly have -V on the motor side whenever there was +V on the ESC side, and much current would flow... On the other hand, it might put on a neat lightshow and reports from local villagers of seeing "ball lightning", streaking across the sky!

Some ESCs do have a motor brake, used in gliders with folding props. I guess you could program a switch on your radio to throttle down until the prop stops and then do the reversal?

Since you are enjoying hovering, I wonder if you've ever played with the Syma s107 helis? They are $20 and fly amazingly well. Radio is infared so they don't do well in sunlight, but they are a blast to fly around the house and they are a great deal. That's what got me into this hobby
http://www.amazon.com/Syma-S107-S107.../dp/8499000606

Cheers!
Justin
datura is offline Find More Posts by datura
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:53 AM
Joined Dec 2012
308 Posts
Just in case I didn't feel inadequate ENOUGH

Okay... I crash a lot. I'm a newbie. I can almost accept that.

Then I see videos of people who can do acrobatics. No problem. I might get there.

Then I see people hovering their planes on their noses and looping in 2 plane lengths... I start to feel inadequate. But I figure that it will just take time and practice until I get used to "having wings" and be able to say I can fly...

But now... this guy doesn't even need WINGS. He can fly a BRICK

Flying Brick, Reloaded. (2 min 41 sec)

Ad Astra, by following the flying brick road
Dan
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:08 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
Quote:

Then I see videos of people who can do acrobatics. No problem. I might get there.

Then I see people hovering their planes on their noses and looping in 2 plane lengths... I start to feel inadequate. But I figure that it will just take time and practice until I get used to "having wings" and be able to say I can fly...

http://vimeo.com/36618700#

Dan
Was anyone else just WAITING for that brick to end up going through the windshield of those cars?

Dan, not sure why someone who would want to fly a brick would make you feel inadequate. Clearly, your understanding of the physical laws regarding flight outstrips theirs by a mile. Just because they CAN do it doesn't mean that it was worth doing!! You should do a video of building a house out of foam and send it to him. Apparently he's confused about what bricks are for.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:15 AM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,385 Posts
Another possibility for reverse thrust is to use an RC car motor/ESC that is designed to do forward and reverse , but they're also pretty expensive .

Here's another " anything can fly " video . I'm not sure if any or all of this is CG .

Anything Can Fly Advert HD - Avios (Official Version) (1 min 1 sec)
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Jan 30, 2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:55 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,385 Posts
HobbyPartz added photos today , Dan .

http://www.hobbypartz.com/88e-c20-bj...evp-combo.html

Al
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:43 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,385 Posts
Dan , I just noticed on the HobbyPartz website that the VPP system with an 8" prop is less expensive , $49.95 .

http://www.hobbypartz.com/88e-a28m-b...evp-combo.html

BUT... here's one for $28 !

http://www.rcfoam.com/product_info.p...b225d4551bed18

Al
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Feb 01, 2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:36 AM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,179 Posts
Quote:

http://vimeo.com/36618700#

Dan
That looks suspiciously like a cardboard or foam body wrapped around a coaxial heli frame. It's got an 8 or 9 inch rotor diameter, and I SERIOUSLY doubt that a coax heli of that size can lift an actual brick. I call B. S.
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:24 PM
United States, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Feb 2012
409 Posts
I crash a lot too Dan. I can't build dollar store foam planes as fast as I destroy them although the money part is ok the missing flight time isn't. I'm going to try a cth Albatross. I have everything except the motor and props. I'll just go with what he recommends the 2812 motor and 7x6 props.

Seems like kind of a tweener motor lighter than my 400 motors and bigger than my blue wonders, curious if any of you have used one how do you like it? I need a big ol slow plane anyway so I can maybe get my camera back in one piece. 25 ounces to me is a brick also but we'll see.

I'll even give it half a chance and drive up to Omega base to fly. Twenty minute drive to my friends 80 acre alfalfa field might have some benefit compared to my boulder infested plane sucking field I have right here where every mission is a suicide mission.
Low and Slow is offline Find More Posts by Low and Slow
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:39 PM
Joined May 2012
8,179 Posts
I want to point out a few things for you noobs who are getting into this wonderful hobby because I am absolutely SURE that I came from the same place you all are. I learned by myself and I made some very dumb mistakes and I'm certainly hoping that I can help some of you with these tips.

First and foremost - find somewhere to fly that is BIG. My first flight attempt was in a ten acre lot over somebody's orange grove. It wasn't nearly big enough. My successful flights began when I found a site with probably 300 acres, cleared of all trees. I know this isn't available to everyone but try your best. The less your brain has to worry about trees, buildings, anything, the more you concentrate on your flight controls.

2. Figure out how your radio does a range check, and do one.

3. Al. Ti. Tude. This way if you lose it, throttle to 25%, let go of the sticks, let it nose down and gain some airspeed, then ease back on the elevator. Once you get it back you can get your orientation and then get it back up high.

4. Don't be trying stupid inverted tricks and loops and rolls for ten or fifteen flights.

5. do circuit flying, and when you're coming toward yourself, turn left and right until you get it.

Edit: 6. Mechanically trim the plane to the best of your ability. Make sure your control surfaces are flat. Use u- or v- bends in your pushrods so you can make this easy. Use a straightedge to check that your surfaces are as flat as they can be. Try a glide test. If you get this the best you can then your chances of an instant pile-in are greatly diminished. Nothing sucks worse than hand launching a plane who nose dives immediately and your planes flight lasts 2 seconds to death.

Doing this was the way I learned to get rid of the nerves, and began to get comfortable with flight. I don't do nervous well for personal reasons, and it was an obstacle and led to bent motors, smashed props, and frustration. Also, self-talk is helpful. "I can do this" before the flight and then talk to yourself through the flight, narrate for yourself if you will.

Hope some of that helps somebody somewhere.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bhoov128; Feb 02, 2013 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Added 6
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:49 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,385 Posts
Any flying/hovering lately Dan ? We all need a fix !!

Al
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:32 PM
Joined Dec 2012
308 Posts
Quote:
Any flying/hovering lately Dan ? We all need a fix !!

Al
Well... errrr.... no.

The weather has been 32 + / - ... which means it's wet and slushy in the day time, and icy in the morning, and frozen at night. It's hard to get motivated to go outside. My SUE's would not like it... the paper would peel and life would not be good.

Moreover - I've hit a bit of a technical stopper... I've been trying figure out an answer to the question - "what receiver should I buy". Initially I bought three of these http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-r8b-receiver.html Susequently I've had two fail. I'm not sure it's the fault of the receiver - I have hammered them into the ground pretty hard. One came off it's velcro and had a prop strike. It sliced up the case but the receiver still seemed to work. Was that the cause of the failure and it just took a while to manifest itself, or was the cause something else? I don't know. I do know that two of them are dead. One doesn't work at all, and the other becomes undependable at about 250 feet range.

So... I've been trying to read RCGroups to get an opinion about receivers, formats, etc... That's sort of like trying to drink from a firehose.

I have a TH9X that works with AFHDS. I am not sure it works with any other protocol. I know one can buy different modules, but there is a little pain in the butt in that they didn't make the antenna easily swappable. So, one doesn't just buy a few modules and change them like changing crystals. On the other hand, there is the ANYLINK module, that plugs into the trainer port and is claimed to work with any system out there. HAH. I know it will work with DSM2 and DSMX, but I am not sure it works with others. I don't know if the Anylink has the same range as the other modules and systems. It's really hard finding technically competent reviews that give good dependable numbers.

So, I've been sort of delaying while trying to wrap my mind around this problem. What system, what receiver, what price range, which are more dependable, what what what ???

Meanwhile, I've not been idle. There is a biplane slowly a-building in the Ad Astra Aviation Facility. In fact, The Missus asked me about it today...

"What's that smell?"
"Um, that's clear spray laquer"
"Why are you spraying that in the house?"
"It says to use outdoors between 60 and 85 F, and since I couldn't fulfill both directives, I decided to go with the 60 to 85 part."
"Are you sure you should be spraying that around our food?"
"Look how shiny the cabane struts have turned out!"

Girls just don't understand what's IMPORTANT in life.

Ad Astra, but not today
Dan
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:40 PM
Joined May 2012
8,179 Posts
Quote:
Well... errrr.... no.

The weather has been 32 + / - ... which means it's wet and slushy in the day time, and icy in the morning, and frozen at night. It's hard to get motivated to go outside. My SUE's would not like it... the paper would peel and life would not be good.

Moreover - I've hit a bit of a technical stopper... I've been trying figure out an answer to the question - "what receiver should I buy". Initially I bought three of these http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-r8b-receiver.html Susequently I've had two fail. I'm not sure it's the fault of the receiver - I have hammered them into the ground pretty hard. One came off it's velcro and had a prop strike. It sliced up the case but the receiver still seemed to work. Was that the cause of the failure and it just took a while to manifest itself, or was the cause something else? I don't know. I do know that two of them are dead. One doesn't work at all, and the other becomes undependable at about 250 feet range.

So... I've been trying to read RCGroups to get an opinion about receivers, formats, etc... That's sort of like trying to drink from a firehose.

I have a TH9X that works with AFHDS. I am not sure it works with any other protocol. I know one can buy different modules, but there is a little pain in the butt in that they didn't make the antenna easily swappable. So, one doesn't just buy a few modules and change them like changing crystals. On the other hand, there is the ANYLINK module, that plugs into the trainer port and is claimed to work with any system out there. HAH. I know it will work with DSM2 and DSMX, but I am not sure it works with others. I don't know if the Anylink has the same range as the other modules and systems. It's really hard finding technically competent reviews that give good dependable numbers.

So, I've been sort of delaying while trying to wrap my mind around this problem. What system, what receiver, what price range, which are more dependable, what what what ???

Meanwhile, I've not been idle. There is a biplane slowly a-building in the Ad Astra Aviation Facility. In fact, The Missus asked me about it today...

"What's that smell?"
"Um, that's clear spray laquer"
"Why are you spraying that in the house?"
"It says to use outdoors between 60 and 85 F, and since I couldn't fulfill both directives, I decided to go with the 60 to 85 part."
"Are you sure you should be spraying that around our food?"
"Look how shiny the cabane struts have turned out!"

Girls just don't understand what's IMPORTANT in life.

Ad Astra, but not today
Dan
Are you planning on flying for a long time coming? Get a good radio, brand name, like Spektrum or Futaba. I hear tons of stuff about the Turnigy 9x's and clones and they are hit or miss and there are tons of mods and there are tons of complaints about support etc. etc. etc. If you are planning on staying in the hobby, you'll have lots of planes, lots of hovercrafts (apparently) ... but one radio. Make it a good one.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:09 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,385 Posts
Ok .... I guess we'll just have to wait for more flying reports !

I can't help you with your TH9X , but my flying buddy slim1357 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=339373 uses one ( he's always pushing for me to get one ) , I'm sure he'd be happy to help you out .

For my no - frills planes ( SE's , IWASE's ) I use a no - frills TX/RX , this one from HK USA

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15142

Never had any problems with 'em . The reason I use them is people often come up to me when I'm flying an SE/IWASE and ask about flying , etc. Then I let them fly my SE/IWASE , they get hooked , and next thing you know I'm selling them the plane , TX , battery and charger on the spot !

Is that a SlowStick biplane you're building , Dan ? Should be fun !

Al
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:22 AM
Joined Dec 2012
308 Posts
Quote:

Is that a SlowStick biplane you're building , Dan ? Should be fun !

Al

Al... when are you going to make a SUE biplane ???

The gauntlet has been thrown !!!!

Ad Astra, in biplanes !

Dan