HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:01 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,165 Posts
This thread should be Sticky-fied as an inspiration to learners. Dan_D's humor and style makes for a nice read, yet conveys what it means to learn RC the old school way Old school as in "older" guys learning to fly
easyrider604 is offline Find More Posts by easyrider604
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:38 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider604 View Post
this thread should be sticky-fied as an inspiration to learners. Dan_d's humor and style makes for a nice read, yet conveys what it means to learn rc the old school way:d old school as in "older" guys learning to fly
agreed !
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:27 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,317 Posts
Yeah, I really enjoyed reading it too.

builderdude is online now Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:52 AM
United States, OH, Amesville
Joined Nov 2012
149 Posts
Thanks, Naming the Bird, Nose Art, Sim Training

Thanks for all the kind words. I enjoy writing, so it makes me happy to see that people enjoy reading it.

I've started on the SUPER EASY, hoping that the parts will arrive in time to fly this weekend. I've also been working on repairing my SkyHawk foamie. I want to take suggestions for some nose art - I've thought about naming it:

Purple Heart - it's been wounded in combat
Lazarus - it keeps coming back from the dead
Sacrificial Lamb - ouch

Anybody got any good names for my poor plane? Also, is there some material one can buy to laser print decals? If I'm going to do nose-art, I'd like it to look nice (until I land in the trees again ).

Meanwhile, I've extended my plan to include more sim training. I've bought Clearview and it has a Hawk Sky model. I've thought about setting a minimum goal of a string of 10 acceptable take off and landings, 5 of them containing at least one left hand circuit and one right hand circuit (i.e., take off and do a flat figure 8 race course before landing again). Until I reach that goal... no physical planes. Is that a good goal, or do you think I should include other tasks... such as "low altitude fly-by", "go around an obstacle", "fly in light winds".

What would a good training regimen be for sim training?
Dan_D is offline Find More Posts by Dan_D
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:22 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_D View Post
Thanks for all the kind words. I enjoy writing, so it makes me happy to see that people enjoy reading it.

I've started on the SUPER EASY, hoping that the parts will arrive in time to fly this weekend. I've also been working on repairing my SkyHawk foamie. I want to take suggestions for some nose art - I've thought about naming it:

Sacrificial Lamb - ouch

Anybody got any good names for my poor plane? Also, is there some material one can buy to laser print decals? If I'm going to do nose-art, I'd like it to look nice (until I land in the trees again ).

Meanwhile, I've extended my plan to include more sim training. I've bought Clearview and it has a Hawk Sky model. I've thought about setting a minimum goal of a string of 10 acceptable take off and landings, 5 of them containing at least one left hand circuit and one right hand circuit (i.e., take off and do a flat figure 8 race course before landing again). Until I reach that goal... no physical planes. Is that a good goal, or do you think I should include other tasks... such as "low altitude fly-by", "go around an obstacle", "fly in light winds".

A good name for your plane might be " Mayfly " ( multiple meanings! ) . A few of my planes have had that name .

I've seen this at Office Depot/Staples http://www.decalpaper.com/category-s/3.htm , might work for your plane .

I've never used a sim , so I can't advise you about that other than practice flying away , turn around and fly back towards you ( that's the hard part - left and right reversed! ) . But when you have your SE ready it should be good for lots of actual flying practice . And it does pretty well in a little wind !

Al
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:26 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,317 Posts
Quote:

Sacrificial Lamb - ouch

I'd just start out flying and making sure you can do it well in zero wind. Then start increasing the wind. I find that at 20 mph winds, flying is pretty much impossible, unless I'm slope soaring. Another thing you can do is practice flying towards you and make sure you get that "backwards control thing" licked. And then practice a bunch of landings.

Then go out for your practical.
But before you do, go find a nice wheat field first and do a few glide tests to make sure you've got the CG right. Also, make sure to ground test first and determine that none of your controls are backwards.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:38 PM
PowerTower
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2009
977 Posts
Dan.. in Clearview, the wind speed settings seem a little 'harsh', like 5mph seems more ... 20mph ! So steady on, but also look at the authentic support for dual-rates and expo (if your TX has it). Otherwise you cane tame down controls with numerous sim adjustments. It shouldn't be considered as a replacement for proper model flight, but it does help your thumb's do the right thing so when you are 'out-there' it will feel more like you have done it before Also (just because you can), crank up a model that's different to what you are used to, so you can experience and understand how a different model flies (or crashes). You have a bit of a following... I too find your 'style' amusing and as real as standing there with you. Keep it up Dan, you are a winner
RWData is online now Find More Posts by RWData
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:24 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,165 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for all the kind words. I enjoy writing, so it makes me happy to see that people enjoy reading it. ..........Meanwhile, I've extended my plan to include more sim training. I've bought Clearview and it has a Hawk Sky model. I've thought about setting a minimum goal of a string of 10 acceptable take off and landings, 5 of them containing at least one left hand circuit and one right hand circuit (i.e., take off and do a flat figure 8 race course before landing again). Until I reach that goal... no physical planes. Is that a good goal, or do you think I should include other tasks... such as "low altitude fly-by", "go around an obstacle", "fly in light winds".

You're welcome.

You have the right idea and attitude. Your patience is commendable.

The only gauge that a fledgling pillot has that he has attained acceptable proficiency is the ability to safely land the plane at will. For me, this means a controlled runway landing, within reasonable distance from yourself. In a real model, my standard is to touch down within an imagionary 20 ft x 40 ft rectangle in front of the pilot. Placement of this rectangle depends on available runway space and the safety rules of a club, if any. Experts of course can do pinpoint landings.

Your goal above is acceptable. I have two suggestions:
1. You achieve 3 flights with 10 touch-and-gos per flight as you described above .
2. Try to keep the landing pattern as small as possible.

Your idea of left and right hand circuits is exactly on point....this will train you to turn either direction with equal proficiency. You will be surprised how many pilots can only execute good landings in one direction.

You may also want to try deadstick landings which means cutting the motor and gliding to a safe landing. Deadstick landings are nice if you can land on the runway, but altitude, timing and wind conditions usually will not allow runway landings. As long as the plane lands safely, is all that is required.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:30 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,317 Posts
I find that landing in reality is a LOT easier than landing on the flight sims. I have Real Flight and it's pretty good, but the problem is that you don't get a good sense of depth perception. So nail your landings on the flight sim, and you'll be in good shape on your practical I think.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:29 AM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Apr 2010
964 Posts
I am also an old-timer returning, though I could sorta fly rc 30 years ago.I found that after lots of crashes, etc, I suddenly "got it" and could fly the plane more or less where I wanted it to go.Your plan for right hand and left hand circuits and figure 8s is a good one- that is all you need to be able to do initially.And gentle landings of course, with flares- landings are easier if you can get the plane close to you rather than at the end of the field, but you might not get a great deal of choice of where you land as a beginner.I have just bought Phoenix, in some ways it is harder than real life.But cheaper and easier to repair them!I have also recently had a GL, though the easiest plane of all I have flown has been Radian1.Foam absorbs the kind af impact that would crack balsa.
alibongo is offline Find More Posts by alibongo
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:26 PM
Joined Nov 2012
149 Posts
Ad Astra per SIMPLE EASY

Okay, I have all the parts... I found real Dollar Tree foam board (much lighter than Elmers), and some thin tape for covering. I'm busily covering and cutting and gluing and hoping I can get it done by tomorrow !

Meanwhile the wife is starting to show signs of wifely concern. According to her

0) For 30 years I never showed any signs of RC madness
1) A month or so ago I found a Gentle Lady kit in the closet. The kitchen table was commandeered, but we could still eat in the kitchen
2) I got worried about investing so many hours into the GL and crashing it, so I got a flight simulator. I don't watch TV with her anymore, I work on that instead. After 30+ years of marriage, this is not a big issue.
3) Then I get a Hawk Sky to practice before flying the GL... and proceed to discover that the flight simulator had not prepared me for Prime Time. The Hawk Sky is in intensive care awaiting surgery... i.e., the kitchen counter is no longer available.
4) So then I run out to Dollar General, and order parts on line, and start covering all the available surfaces left with a SIMPLE EASY. The kitchen is no longer available for eating. Cooking is more difficult. Then wife notices that I am building something that looks like a HUGE paper airplane with electronics and gizmos. She is beginning to mumble things about "mid life crisis" and "need a vacation".

Okay guys... have I caught something? Is this condition treatable? Whats the prognosis ???
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:42 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,442 Posts
Quote:
Okay, I have all the parts... I found real Dollar Tree foam board (much lighter than Elmers), and some thin tape for covering. I'm busily covering and cutting and gluing and hoping I can get it done by tomorrow !

Meanwhile the wife is starting to show signs of wifely concern. According to her

0) For 30 years I never showed any signs of RC madness
1) A month or so ago I found a Gentle Lady kit in the closet. The kitchen table was commandeered, but we could still eat in the kitchen
2) I got worried about investing so many hours into the GL and crashing it, so I got a flight simulator. I don't watch TV with her anymore, I work on that instead. After 30+ years of marriage, this is not a big issue.
3) Then I get a Hawk Sky to practice before flying the GL... and proceed to discover that the flight simulator had not prepared me for Prime Time. The Hawk Sky is in intensive care awaiting surgery... i.e., the kitchen counter is no longer available.
4) So then I run out to Dollar General, and order parts on line, and start covering all the available surfaces left with a SIMPLE EASY. The kitchen is no longer available for eating. Cooking is more difficult. Then wife notices that I am building something that looks like a HUGE paper airplane with electronics and gizmos. She is beginning to mumble things about "mid life crisis" and "need a vacation".

Okay guys... have I caught something? Is this condition treatable? Whats the prognosis ???
Yes , you HAVE caught something , but it's good for you ! This condition causes frequent smiling and a wonderful sense of accomplishment when you build something and it FLIES !

If possible , can you show us some photos of your SE when it's done , and a flying video ?

Ad astra - to the stars ! You can put LED lights on your SE ( or any other plane ) and fly at night among the stars ! Here's a video of one of my SE's with LED's on it ( inspired by the " Phoenix Lights " UFO from 1997 ) flying at night .

UFO 1.AVI (1 min 3 sec)

Al
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Nov 17, 2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:44 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,165 Posts
Prognosis? Not good. Terminal, IMO.

Break it to the wife gently. Tell her you will be there when she needs you, at least during her birthday and the all-important wedding anniversary.

Regretfully tell her that other days might be iffy. Much as you would like to cuddle, you do have to finish your 1700mm FMS Corsair build for its early morning maiden next day. She has to understand you have to be at the field early before the wind kicks up and you absolutely need to break in the 8 batteries as well.

Make it clear to her that there is no known cure for your disease, but if she truly loves you, she can be by your side, when you really need her, like if and when you crash your giant scale Corsair.

If all this talk doesn't work, buy her shoes.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:58 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,317 Posts
Tell her that it's better than hanging out at the bar. This is a much safer hobby.
That's what got me by when I was restoring my Corvette...which to this day, we still refer to as "The other woman".
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:18 PM
Joined Nov 2012
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post

If you don't mind building a plane , here is a good practice plane that's SUPER EASY to make ( and inexpensive - Dollar Tree foam board ) and flies very well . You could say it's kind of a disposable trainer airframe ( $ 2 ) that protects your electronics if you do crash . Easy to fix or replace .

Al
Dear Al...

I was within minutes of flying my SUPER EASY. Then...

So yesterday I decided to start building the SUPER EASY. How hard can it be? Unfortunately, this being Appalachia my internet was down, but I had studied the pictures and had a few hand diagrams, so I started building. Who needs instructions - it's SUPER EASY after all.

After a while I begin to think that maybe the heavy duty packaging tape I was using was too thick. It was adding 34 grams per sheet. "WAIT", you say, "what tape? This is supposed to be SUPER EASY !!" Well, I had also watched all the Armin wing videos, the Photon videos, etc., and I had tape on my mind... So, I run out and get some cheap tape... some really really cheap tape. This stuff is made out of whiffs of cellophane. I learn it's a lot more difficult to get super thin tape to lay down flat than tape that resembles vinyl siding.

Oh yeah, I learned something else. When you are making a Gentle Lady in the same room, the dust is going to find that tape. No matter that I vacuumed before starting the SUPER EASY. No matter that I cleaned the work bench (errrr... the kitchen table) and wiped it with a sponge. NOPE. Dust, dog hair, and even bits of breakfast flakes found their way from unknown corners to attach themselves to the tape. Oh well... minor imperfections.

I make the control surfaces, using the tape hinges and adding a little refinement with kissing tape trailing edges. Oh heck, lets refine all the leading edges too. And while we are at it, lets reinforce the fuselage keel with a bamboo skid, and make the slot the Otto Dieffenbach way... OKAY, this thing is SPIFF

So, I get the airframe built. The wife comes into to make a cup of tea and says "you are making a giant paper airplane". She laughs. All this time I had been thinking I was following in the footsteps of Kelly Johnson...

Next I start attaching the various bits... make a stick, CA and use a screw to hold the motor to the stick... Glue it in place. Oh heck, MORE GLUE. This thing ain't coming off !!! (wait... just wait). There, that's good !!!

I solder the banana jack onto the ESC, and then get out my xmtr and rcvr and some alligator leads, and figure out which way the three black wires go... then, solder and heat shrink, and more wiring, more velcro... and VIOLA... it's ALL DONE EXCEPT THE BATTERY. HOOORAY.

So I get out my GC balancing stand (two dowels in a 2 x 4) and I set so the knife edges are 14" behind the nose. The tail THUNKS to the table. No problem, the battery isn't installed yet. I place the battery on top in front of the prop slot... and nothing moves. I slide it to the nose.. NO We've got internet back, so I go check... yup "14 inches behind the nose". I go back down, and look... then I come back and look at your pictures...

"How did he get that ESC in front of the prop slot?" My wires aren't long enough. I look, and ponder, and look... and then it dawns on me...

You built it as a PUSHER, with the stick, the ESC, etc., attached in FRONT of the prop slot. OH NO !!!

I had been reading some of the build logs, and thinking "what doofii (plural of doofus). I'd never make such mistakes." Oh dear... I'm a doofus too..

Okay, well, I'm about half way done with changing it around. Do you remember the part above where I said "That stick ain't coming off!" It did come off. Xacto knife, soldering gun, Dremmel tool... between the bunch of them I managed to get the thing off with only one minor second degree burn on one finger. The airframe is still in good condition... better than my finger.

Stay tuned... Ad Astra per SUPER EASY will be a reality today !!!

Or soon...

Dan