HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:33 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,839 Posts
You did good though! See? You're learning. And I do think that plane is pretty cool. Looks like a big giant paper airplane. But always ground-check your controls before you take off.

Nice job bringing it back with backwards controls. LOL.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:19 PM
Joined Dec 2012
308 Posts
A little name change

Hi everybody... I decided to change from boring "Dan_D" to my new and exciting name... Ad_Astra.

Well, I went to the LHS in a town about 2 hours from me. Bought a present for somebody. Gave it to The Missus to wrap and put under the tree. I'm so excited. I'll tell you guys all about when I get to open it on Christmas morning. The Missus is sure I'll like it. I'm sure she's right - she seems to have impeccable taste in buying gifts for me.

Ad Astra with Santa Claus
Ad_Astra is offline Find More Posts by Ad_Astra
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:23 PM
United States, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Feb 2012
431 Posts
So what did you get for christmas Dan? I had a night vapor in my hands while shopping for my friend (me) but I passed cause I didn't want to pay for bind n fly. I want a kit so I can put my own receiver in it. I don't think they sell them that way though I'm not sure.

I wrecked my wing yet again and its nose is busted up like a fighter with a few too many rounds on his face. This time my soap bottle canopy flipped up right at takeoff and threw her into a right bank right back to the ground. Kinda like a parachute. Short flight about six seconds. I am trying to figure out how to block the hollow cavity and inject foam insulation spray and solidify the nose area of my build. It could use the nose weight anyway.

Cool thing is with wings is they crash gloriously. They don't nose in and break they tumble like a boomerang. I barrel rolled mine in and it bounced about thirty feet then cartwheeled about three times. I crashed it hard about five times and this time I think I better finish the new one and move parts. Its dead.
Low and Slow is online now Find More Posts by Low and Slow
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:08 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,764 Posts
opc orn:: popcorn:opco rn:
whichwaysup is online now Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:30 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low and Slow View Post
So what did you get for christmas Dan? I had a night vapor in my hands while shopping for my friend (me) but I passed cause I didn't want to pay for bind n fly. I want a kit so I can put my own receiver in it. I don't think they sell them that way though I'm not sure.

I wrecked my wing yet again and its nose is busted up like a fighter with a few too many rounds on his face. This time my soap bottle canopy flipped up right at takeoff and threw her into a right bank right back to the ground. Kinda like a parachute. Short flight about six seconds. I am trying to figure out how to block the hollow cavity and inject foam insulation spray and solidify the nose area of my build. It could use the nose weight anyway.

Cool thing is with wings is they crash gloriously. They don't nose in and break they tumble like a boomerang. I barrel rolled mine in and it bounced about thirty feet then cartwheeled about three times. I crashed it hard about five times and this time I think I better finish the new one and move parts. Its dead.
I did this with a Lynx EDF! trying to get altitude for level flight to trim it on the maiden and the canopy popped off, threw it on its side, then the battery came out and gave me a nice 2 oz pendulum straight into the dirt. Fun!
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:30 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low and Slow View Post
I had a night vapor in my hands while shopping for my friend (me) but I passed cause I didn't want to pay for bind n fly. I want a kit so I can put my own receiver in it. I don't think they sell them that way though I'm not sure.

Hey Low and Slow ,

the Night Vapor comes with an AR6400 " brick " , an all-in-one unit with receiver/ESC/servos all built in .

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...odID=SPMAR6400

That's not something you can put your own receiver in , but HobbyPartz has some micro gear that you CAN use with your own receiver .

Micro brushed motor/ESC ( runs on 1s battery )

http://www.hobbypartz.com/88e-gps7-combo.html

Micro brushless motor/ESC/servos/battery/props/prop saver ( runs on 2s battery )

http://www.hobbypartz.com/88e-c05-power-combo.html

Al
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:31 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
opc orn:: popcorn:opco rn:
Waiting for the show to start ? Me too !
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:54 PM
Joined Aug 2004
135 Posts
Quote:
Dan - I feel your pain. I too was a member of the "yep, they move" club.
I'm pretty sure at some point we all do this... and it's terrifying If you can keep aloft long enough to work out what's going on it's possible to reverse your thinking and fly with the controls reversed, but it's tough to overcome your muscle memory... I did this once when I used to use a non-programmable radio shared between two planes, and one had one of the servos wired opposite from the other plane, so you had to toggle a manual switch on the radio to inverse the direction... and one time I forgot, and found out the hard way what it;s like to have your controls reversed. Luckily it was a slow flying 40 size trainer and I managed to fly a circuit and bring it back to land... but, wow, that was a terrifying flight
khooke is offline Find More Posts by khooke
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:45 PM
United States, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Feb 2012
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
Hey Low and Slow ,

the Night Vapor comes with an AR6400 " brick " , an all-in-one unit with receiver/ESC/servos all built in .

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...odID=SPMAR6400

That's not something you can put your own receiver in , but HobbyPartz has some micro gear that you CAN use with your own receiver .

Micro brushed motor/ESC ( runs on 1s battery )

http://www.hobbypartz.com/88e-gps7-combo.html

Micro brushless motor/ESC/servos/battery/props/prop saver ( runs on 2s battery )

http://www.hobbypartz.com/88e-c05-power-combo.html

Al
I dunno Al. Kinda hard for me to justify the bucks for that gear when I could just get this and be done with it and use my own gear http://crashtesthobby.com/products/assassin
Low and Slow is online now Find More Posts by Low and Slow
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:03 PM
United States, OH, Amesville
Joined Nov 2012
149 Posts
Oh, you shouldn't have !!!!

Quote:
So, yesterday was Christmas, and I awoke bright and early and all excited ran down to find if Santa had left me anything. There were TWO packages !! My hands trembled with excitement as I opened the first one and discovered my friend had bought me a 12 year old ! Not a child, but something in a bottle. Then I turned to the big package from The Missus.

Apparently she had heard me complaining about being in a huge ballroom in the Hilton with nothing to do other than work... because in the package was not one, but TWO Uberlite airframes and all the accompanying stuff A monoplane and a kewt little biplane. !!! WOW, now I can crash TWO wings at once

At the same time I learned that I had bought The Missus a new Android Tablet. I'm so happy she liked what I bought for her !!! YAY... everybody is happy

So, down to the fire department some time in the next couple of days... run the trucks out into the snow and rain, and FLY. Then I get to drive the trucks back in and chamois them off...

Ad Astra
Dan_D is offline Find More Posts by Dan_D
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:52 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,661 Posts
Awesome Dan ! I've seen the Uberlites fly in videos , they look like real nice indoor flyers ! Be sure to put on your hat-cam when you try them at the fire station !

Al
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:31 PM
Joined Nov 2012
149 Posts
The perfect plane for a noob ???

I found a youtube video of a plane that they PURPOSEFULLY crashed into a brick wall - several times and it seemed to survive okay. I wasn't as impressed with the crashes into the soccer net, but the one where it cartwheeled off the standard was impressive. I wonder if it is really as indestructable as they make it seem

Assassin vs Brick Wall 3-12 (4 min 14 sec)

Ad Astra per adamantium ???
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:39 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_D View Post
I found a youtube video of a plane that they PURPOSEFULLY crashed into a brick wall - several times and it seemed to survive okay. I wasn't as impressed with the crashes into the soccer net, but the one where it cartwheeled off the standard was impressive. I wonder if it is really as indestructable as they make it seem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8OxynCBUbM#!

Ad Astra per adamantium ???
That's certainly impressive ! That company ( CrashTest Hobby ) makes other EPP planes , here's one for FPV that has high wing , polyhedral with pod motor mount .

http://crashtesthobby.com/products/storm-chaser-pod

Have you flown your micro yet Dan ?

Al
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Dec 29, 2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:00 AM
Joined Nov 2012
149 Posts
In Progress

Well, between pressing family matters and snow, I've been somewhat slack on flying. However, that doesn't mean I haven't been working...

Just a little tease - I'm building a snow friendly SUE... and here are a few early build photos.

Yes, that IS a 2830-1100 motor with an 8x6 prop and a 30 A ESC...

Overkill ? Maybe not... all will be revealed SUE-n (soon).

Ad Astra
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:13 AM
Joined Nov 2012
149 Posts
Blood, sweat and tears

Okay, I'm about ready to reveal ... PLASTIC SUE. Made out of corrugated plastic signboard. Suitable for snow !!!

However, not everything is going swimmingly.

The plastic board is MUCH heavier than Adams foam board. 82 mg/cm2 instead of 29 mg/cm2. The basic fabric weighs 2.5 as much. The boards are only 18 by 24, which means the wing area is smaller... 432 sq inches rather than 600 sq inches. That means the same avionics packages will be supported on less wing area - three 9 g servos, one receiver, one ESC, etc. Overall, this thing is headed towards making FAT BOTTOM SUE look slender...

Anyone who has watched Tim the Toolman knows what the answer is --- GET MORE POWER !!!

So I bought a Turnigy 2830-1100 and a 30 A ESC. That supposedly can put out around 200 watts. Now we are cooking !

I decided that since I have a SERIES of SUEs planned to test various ideas and learn about aeronautics, that I would create Power Unit Field Swappable (PUFS). Basically the idea is to reduce the only glued components on the SUE to a few servos. The battery, receiver, and PUFS can be changed from airframe to airframe quickly.

I decided not to put the battery on the PUFS pallet because I wanted to be able to shift battery location for CoG adjustment. The receiver could have been put on the PUFS pallet, but that would probably have meant extension cords for the servo wires. I don't have anything against such extensions, but they cost an arm and a leg at the not-very-Local-Hobby-Shop and so I am waiting before I mount the receivers on the pallet.

So, how much more power ? ? Well, I wanted to know. Of course I did - I like numbers

First I tested the combo Al recommends with an 8x4 prop. I did this by simply balancing SUE TOO on the kitchen balance and "flying her into the balance". A simple hand on the wing to steady it was all that was needed. About 450 g of thrust.

Then I tested the PUFS with the 2830-1100 and an 8x4 prop. I setup a simple test stand... ceramic mug on the balance, put the PUFS in the mug, and a bit of tape to prevent the PUFS from counter rotating to the prop. I run her up... Oh dear... Only about 510 g of thrust. But that's okay... we got props.

An 8x6 prop showed about 720 g of thrust. YEAH BABY But the higher pitch would mean faster, and I would like more thrust, less speed... so I decided to go to a 9x5.

A 9x5 prop on a 200 watt motor creates a different beast than an 8x4 or even an 8x6. This beast bites.

I set everything up with the 9x5, plugged in the LiPo, and got ready with the transmitter. I started advancing the throttle. WOW It's putting out a LOT of wind. I watch the balance climb... 400, 500, 600 -- and there is still plenty of throttle left... 700, 800, 900 ... and then ...

WOW things happen FAST at 10,000 rpm.

My jury rigged test stand had been fine for smaller props... but it didn't work for this. Suddenly the tape lets loose, the PUFS pallet spins counter to the prop, it winds up the wires and when it hits the end of the battery wire it decides to tip the mug over...

It could have tipped to the left, or to the back, or to the front. There are 12 points on the compass and it could have chosen any one of 11 of them without problems. No, it tips towards the only direction in which there is flesh... MY FLESH.

The next 0.05 seconds re-enacts a Ginsu Knife commercial with my knuckles as the target. It pares, it slices, it even cuts ... no, thankfully it missed the bone cutting part. Wow, that was quick. I'm sitting there looking at about 5 or 6 nice little smooth areas where the meat has been shaved off. I'm watching the blood spots starting to form at the ends of the severed capillaries, thinking "oh, that's gonna hurt when my nerves realize the outrage that was just visited upon them."... then it hurts.

So, what do I do? Do I call for help? Do I jump up and get the bandages? NO... I grab the camera so I can share the experience with you guys.

Now I must have made some sort of noise because The Missus comes in and finds me trying to use the camera left handed and cursing because the controls aren't set up for lefties... She asks a perfectly reasonable question: "Aren't you going to put a bandage on that?" I respond: "Right after I take a few photos to share with the guys!" Her response as she walks out to get the First In bag - "Boys!"

But, I got up to 920 g before the tape let loose, and it wasn't at full throttle yet. I GOT POWER

Lesson learned:

When testing high speed high power props, don't use jury rigged test stands.

Ad Astra, per blood, sweat and tears.

Dan
Last edited by Dan_D; Jan 03, 2013 at 01:24 PM. Reason: clean up minor grammatical errors