HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:51 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_D View Post
If you cantilevered the plane off the front of the car you would get relatively undisturbed air, although I'd worry about the "bow wave". I'd want the plane far in front and up as high as practical.

On the other hand, my thought was to use a trailer being towed behind and accept that the air is highly disturbed. Place the model as high as possible to get the "cleanest air", and then smooth it with screens and vanes. For example, two or three layers of the light grid used on fluorescent lights, with coarse screens in between, would do a lot to make the air flow smoother. Mount the plane on a test stand right behind that and use cheap DAQ devices to collect the data For example the DataQ corp makes A/D converters that read 200 s/S for well under $100. Buy some cheap load cells on eBay and you could make a cheap 8 bit test stand.

One could take data at various AOA and use the RC xmtr to change the flight surfaces.

This might be attention getting, but shouldn't be too illegal.

Oh-oh... I'm going into hyper-geek mode. I need to get home and start cras... flying my planes again.

Ad Astra
i'm sure you could do all that geeknitude in your garage with a ducted A/C blower fan hooked up.

Then just crank the amps on the A/C fan and fly your house around for a while
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:35 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2012
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low and Slow View Post
Justin could build Al's Super Ugly plane course if there are people around he might have to wear a disguise or a bag on his head lol
Hah! Luckily none of my friends are into RC, so I can tell them that these flying slabs of foam are the latest and most amazing designs ever flown
datura is offline Find More Posts by datura
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:16 AM
United States, OH, Amesville
Joined Nov 2012
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by datura View Post
Hah! Luckily none of my friends are into RC, so I can tell them that these flying slabs of foam are the latest and most amazing designs ever flown
*laugh* GREAT. If you can't dazzle em with brilliance, confuse 'em
Dan_D is offline Find More Posts by Dan_D
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:54 PM
Joined Nov 2012
149 Posts
*** score ***

This business trip was to a convention... outside of each meeting room they had a foam board poster with the room number, the name of the session, and the start time. Not full $TFB size, but 18 * 24 inch sheets. Today was the last day and they are cleaning up and breaking down. I passed by a huge pile of these boards being tossed out. Being chea... Being GREEN and into recycling I asked if I could have some. They didn't care - the sheets were just trash to them ! Then I checked the baggage policy of the airline I am flying with tomorrow. I can have two checked bags without charge. So, I now have a duct-taped rectanguloid of 50 of these sheets of foam board which is going as my second bag !!!

SCORE !!!!

HEMI SUE !!!!

Ad Astra per scrounging !!!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:02 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2012
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_D View Post
So, I now have a duct-taped rectanguloid of 50 of these sheets of foam board which is going as my second bag !!!
Hilarious! Next time you'll be taking some RC gear with you and flying loops in the hotel lobby using their stationary as your plane

In other news, my Bixler 2 arrived today! Still waiting on the battery and receiver so I have not had a chance to crash it prematurely (yet!).
datura is offline Find More Posts by datura
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:25 PM
United States, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Feb 2012
431 Posts
Good score on the foam Dan. Better stock up on some knife blades. It's going to take a few to whittle down that pile.
Low and Slow is online now Find More Posts by Low and Slow
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:19 PM
Joined Nov 2012
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low and Slow View Post
Good score on the foam Dan. Better stock up on some knife blades. It's going to take a few to whittle down that pile.
Good idea. All I need to know - where are they throwing out knife blades?

Ad Astra per dumpster diving
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:27 PM
United States, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Feb 2012
431 Posts
I get a lot of paint and stuff from these guys
http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdep...es_blades.aspx

I've had good luck with them
Low and Slow is online now Find More Posts by Low and Slow
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:52 PM
Joined Nov 2012
149 Posts
Hi guys

So, I managed to get back home with my suitcase of foam board ! The baggage handler was amused because I had been very careful with the colored duct tape and it actually looked pretty nice.

However, I didn't manage to get any flying in because of other reasons. While I was gone on this trip my dog Pojke had died. You've seen him in the background of some of the photos - he would follow me around the farm and would sit and watch me crash the plane into the trees, into the ground, into the hay bales. So, we took the time to bury my co-pilot. We buried him right in the middle of the front lawn in his favorite spot... where he could watch the parking area, the drive way, the fields, and the front door. He's still there. He can also see the flying field.

Later I asked the missus if she minded the fact that I got a backhoe in and tore up the middle of the lawn. She said "It seemed like it was something you needed to do." I got a good one !!!

I took a week off, so I'm going to have plenty of time to catch up. It's supposed to rain tomorrow and Tuesday, but only 10% chance on Wed. So, I should have several planes to abuse by then.

One of them will be named for Pojke...

Ad Astra, ad Canis Majoris.

Dan
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:36 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,762 Posts
Dan -

I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. Losing a dog is losing a family member and I hate to hear it happened while you were travelling. At least he got to see you acheive brilliant success in your flying endeavors.
Having followed your journey from the beginning, it seems like we've moved to a new chapter. If chapter one was "pre-flight", then I for one am looking for this chapter to be chalk full of the victories and follies that go along with gaining proficiency. If anyone can tell it in terms we'll all relate to, it will be you.

Looking forward to hearing how those future SUEs are gonna fly.
whichwaysup is online now Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:47 PM
Joined Nov 2012
149 Posts
5/64'ths drill bit? We don't need no STEEENKING 5/64'ths drill bits.

So, while I was on my business trip my herd of servos, a couple of motors, and a buncha other stuff arrived.

What did I learn ??? Check your order CAREFULLY before sending it in so you don't buy 3 motors but end up accidentally buying 1 ESC. Somebody forgot to change the default number from 1 to 3.

So, now I gotta buy two more ESCs. If I buy the ESC from the internet I can get a 30 A ESC for $13, BUT the shipping over the holiday season might take long enough I won't get them until after Christmas. If I go to the not-very-local hobby shop, the same ESC is $39. Okay, I like to buy locally both for speed of gratification and because supporting local hobby shops means that somebody will be there to explain things to the noobs - but I'm going internet for these. I hope shipping from California isn't going to take too long.

ANYWAY... the Smartieparts board arrived for my TH9X. I've installed the board and will try to avoid bricking it later tonight.

Another Learning Experience - if you go down this road, buy the $1 screw package. I was in a hurry to order this before my business trip, so I didn't read the fine print. Basically the story is simple. He bought the kits pre-packed (probably from China). They screwed up (ha-ha) and put in the wrong screws. So, he's willing to knock $1 off, and you can use your own screws, OR he will sell you the right screws for $1. Not a bad deal. Fair. But I didn't read all the details. I was in a hurry.

So, I got the kit, opened the back of the radio, had the parts laid out, and then I finally read the part about the screws. RAZZLE BAZZ However, not all is lost... he said "you can simply drill out the holes with a 5/64'th drill bit (0.078) and it will work with the wrong screws that were supplied". OKAY... I got a drill, I got drill bits, we are GO !

Except... when I get out to the shop and look I discover that I have 3/32's, and 1/16'th, and #50 (0.070) and #40 (0.098)... but can I find a 5/64'ths ? Of course not ! The gremlins scurried out there and hid every one of them just before I got there. I am SURE I will be able to find a half dozen tomorrow... but tonight - NOTHING.

So, I did what any sane and rational person would do... I waited until tomorrow. LIKE HECK I DID. Instead I took one of the 3/32's drill bits and chucked it in the lathe... mounted the Dremel in the cross feed, and proceeded to snap it off. However, after a more cautious approach I managed to grind the second one down to 5/64'ths. Okay, it's not a proper drill bit anymore, but for drilling 4 holes .35 inches deep in soft plastic it will serve.

You might ask - "Why do it that way? Why not scoot into town and buy a new and proper drill bit?" It was after 9 PM - the hardware stores were all closed and Walmart (which is 20+ miles away) might not have that unusual of a size - or I'd have to buy a complete box of junky drill bits. I figured that rather than risk a 40 mile round trip that had a good chance of failure, I'd get machinist on it's ass (tip of the hat to "Pulp Fiction").

Okay... after that the installation of the board went smoothly. Lets see how the rest of the TH9X project goes. I mean, the rest is just computer programming - what can possibly go wrong?

One of the other goodies in the boxes of goodies was one of Turnigy's little video cameras. It looks like it will be a nice thing. The package came with a camera, a cable to connect to my computer, and 4 holding devices. It took me about 1/2 hour to realize that the cable was fratzed... It might have gone quicker but I thought "This is simple... so what if there are no instructions - I can figure this out on the fly." So I didn't know if the lack of visible activity was a bug or an "undocumented design feature". I finally found the manual online, and found that it was supposed to make all sorts of blinking red and blue patterns... so, I got an old cable out of the Box Of Cables, and it worked.

Okay, so tomorrow I will continue building SUEs, play with the new XMTR, take the remaining dog to the vet to make sure she doesn't have the same diabetes that killed her brother, and just have FUN.

Ad Astra..
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:57 PM
Joined Nov 2012
149 Posts
SUE variations

Al,

Have you build a WIDE SUE ? i.e., instead of joining the 30" side, join the 20" side. This would give a stubby wide SUE...

My thoughts are...
  1. CG might be more critical
  2. Directional stability might be reduced
  3. Longitudinal stability might be increased without as much dihedral
  4. Higher aspect for same wing loading might lead to more lift because of reduced drag due to induced drag
  5. Pitch stability might be reduced
  6. Putting winglets on it might reduce drag even more

I've seen the DIAMOND SUE... that should be even zippier than regular SUE.

How about winglets ? Anybody tried wing tip winglets or wing caps?

Ad Astra per SUE

Dan
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:47 AM
Joined Nov 2012
149 Posts
Oh WOW, I didn't brick the TH9X

Now I know I have high standards for documentation, but I think the documentation on the upgrade for the TH9X firmware is very typical of unix/linux/hacker ware... if you know what you are doing it's okay... otherwise, you are not going to get everything you need. These young guys doing this are NOT technical writers - they don't know how to explain things.

For example, in http://9xforums.com/wiki/index.php/Flashing_your_9x it has Part 1 - Hardware. Then there is a bunch of text that I guess is supposed to be broken into logical XORs... do A or B or C but not more than 1. That's not clear, especially since the font sizes and emboldening are not consistent. This was leading me to try to do A and C... but you can't do C if you have done A. So, I got confuzzled.

What finally got me through the process was google, which led me to the parkeflyer.com site (that is spelled correctly). They have a nice 15-ish minute video on YouTube, and the link to that and other software are all available under their SUPPORT > 9x Firmware Update Links section.

However, it's a step by step procedure using a Mac. When I tried to follow it on my Win 7 system I had problems. FORTUNATELY, I have a Macbook Pro like they were using, and so I just dummied along with them. They pushed a button, I pushed the same button... Viola, it worked.

Now, if anybody else wants to upgrade a TH9X using a Smartiparts board and a Windows machine, I'll be happy to learn how to do it on a Win7 machine and make instructions for you. See one, do one, teach one !

So now I have a radio that has more smarts than a freshman dormitory, and all of tomorrow to work on figuring it out ! Nice thing about the assistant program eepe is that you can set up all your models on it, and even simulate them (not like a flying simulator, but you can see the inputs to the sticks, switches and knobs and see how that will affect the servos). Then, I can take the plane out and crash it.

Ad Astra per geek

Dan
Last edited by Dan_D; Dec 18, 2012 at 02:03 AM. Reason: typos
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:12 AM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,655 Posts
Hey Dan , first of all I want to say I'm so sorry for your loss . We have a small dog that I'm absolutely in love with - it would break my heart if anything happened to her .

Have you considered Lazertoyz for getting some ESC's ? They have a budget 30 amp for $15 . http://www.lazertoyz.com/ESC-Emax-30a-Budget_p_67.html You could probably get them pretty quick .

Yes , I've tried making a SUE " flying wing " , it flew just OK , didn't think it was worth pursuing .

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post22365441

Al
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:40 PM
Joined Nov 2012
149 Posts
Groan ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
Yes , I've tried making a SUE " flying wing " , it flew just OK , didn't think it was worth pursuing .
Al
It was a SO SO SUE ?