HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:35 AM
Fly low, fly FAST!
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Jun 2004
111 Posts
Retracted
keithskye is offline Find More Posts by keithskye
Last edited by keithskye; Jul 01, 2012 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Saw another post exactly like mine, no need to make the same comment again.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:03 AM
Joined Jan 2008
944 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00mm_Kit_.html

LOOKS FAMILIAR
sharonx is offline Find More Posts by sharonx
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:49 PM
F3K all day
Joined Dec 2011
1,681 Posts
Does anyone have a part number to the orange monokote? I tore mine off for surgery, but i dont have any spare
jasonafriedman is offline Find More Posts by jasonafriedman
Old Mar 11, 2013, 07:01 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
I just received a Bird of Time Glider today and i'm really excited. After using the bird of time Wing on my Home built Foamy..(see photo below),,, i decided to purchase a full working Bird of Time Glider...Guy at my local Flying field had one sitting in his closet for years...It turns out this Bird of Time has an Electric Motor and Ailerons as well. What more could you ask. Also the Fuselage has been cut and extended.. i don't really know why but now the glider is a few inches Longer which makes it look pretty sleek and Long. Full Elevator Stab moves and it's all RTF....i do have a few questions before i Declare this Bird RTF..
1. Seems like i'm missing some Pins that go into the Wing. That Little Silver pins that work as Rods...where do i get more....i need about 3 or 4..
2. How do i keep the Elevator Stabs on. They connect via Rods and they slide on and off. How do i get them to stay on..i'm afraid if i just slide them on and go Fly, they will slide off in Mid air..No?
those are my only concerns now..i think once i resolve those issues i can declare her RTF...
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:02 AM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,648 Posts
Somebody once suggested using surfboard wax to give the tail feathers something to grab on to. Any of the ones I've had though, have always had the two wires squeezed together just a bit and I've never had a problem with tail flying off.
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:30 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,371 Posts
I have used similar approach with the wires on full flying stabs on other planes. Never a problem.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Mar 15, 2013, 04:38 PM
R2R
St Johns, FL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
608 Posts
I have tried surfboard wax (as I have lots of it all the time), but in the hot Southeast, it gets too soft and slick. Elmers glue sticks work very well for me. Just rub a couple strokes on each pin, and you are good to go after a minute or two. Easily removable still.
R2R is offline Find More Posts by R2R
Old Mar 15, 2013, 04:46 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
ok let me get this right...Elmers Glue? (the white bottle?) will work?
all i have to do is put a few taps on each of the Rods and slide elevator stabs on? i don't want to put them on permanently, just want to find a way to get them on there but if i have to take them off it will be easy....Wont glue make it permanent?
i never used bees wax or this surfboard wax.......Please elaborate on the glue a little more please for this bird is almost finished and i want to Maiden it next weekend..
Old Mar 15, 2013, 04:50 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,371 Posts
I did not suggest elmers glue but white glue like that does not stick to metal very well.

Glue stick glue would be better. The stuff you get from Staples that you use to attach two pieces of paper. Again, it does not stick to metal very well.

I have never used glue or wax or any of that junk. Just bent the wires so they were not quite parallel. Never had a tail section come off, ever.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Mar 15, 2013, 06:18 PM
R2R
St Johns, FL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
608 Posts
Ed is right -- not Elmers white glue, but the glue sticks in the plastic tube that look like a lip balm tube with a dial on the bottom to push the stick out. It does not stick to metal well, just gives enough tack to hold the stab in place. http://www.staples.com/Staples-Jumbo...product_857146 The stabs are still easily removable. I use this on my 3M Sapphire shown on my Avatar.
Last edited by R2R; Mar 15, 2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 06:29 PM
R2R
St Johns, FL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
608 Posts
some planes use carbon fiber rods in the tail, so you can't bend them. The glue sticks work great in this case.

Also, if you have access to the internal tubes, and they are metal, you can slightly crimp the ends to in crease the friction at the tips of the joiners.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:22 PM
F3K all day
Joined Dec 2011
1,681 Posts
Hi, my bird of time has a bent horizontal stab joiner. Where can i get a new one? Thanks!
jasonafriedman is offline Find More Posts by jasonafriedman
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:25 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
ok that makes sense..glue sticks...i know they are very sticky..i work in a Mail room so we have plenty of that stuff..ok i will try that...but doesn't it eventually wear off? is there a point where i have to re-apply that stick?
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:38 PM
R2R
St Johns, FL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
608 Posts
Yes; you do eventually need to reapply the glue stick after somewhere between 6 and a dozen trips to the flying field. Putting on the stabs and taking them off again wears out the glue.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 02:42 PM
Joined Apr 2006
177 Posts
In the initial build review in this thread, the reviewer states that:

"The Bird of Time is equipped with a full-flying stabilizer, meaning the whole stabilizer moves for pitch control, as opposed to having a fixed stabilizer and moving the rudder."

In the Gentle Lady the elevator moves and the stabilizer is fixed. In the BOT the elevator and stabilizer are the same...

But isn't the process of controlling the plane with the radio joystick (type 2) exactly the same?
rwpeek is offline Find More Posts by rwpeek
Last edited by rwpeek; Mar 16, 2013 at 03:13 PM.