SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:30 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,410 Posts
all issues i saw on a Tiger 60 related to aileron flutter where directly related to the use of the stock (undersized) torque rods and improper linkage geometry. (IE, the torque-rod to clevis adapter screwed all the way down and the servo having the linkage very far away from the output shaft, that way the pilot got allot of surface deflection).
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:18 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner View Post
Derick thanks and I am doing the research, thats what prompted the question. I may have mislead you with the two servos. One artical used two on each aileron to stop flutter. I realize that gaposis on controls will cause flutter. There has been so much good said about this plane that that is why I bought it. When I see issues with it I just like to get opinions from many of you whom have built and or fly it.

Thanks again, Leroy
First off, if you ask a half dozen real aeromodellers how to fix something, you'll likely get eight answers - by the time you get to the last one, the first two will have thought up another way to fix the issue

Two aileron servos a side is the sort of thing the monster aerobatic lobby get up to. It helps them shift their huge control surfaces and makes the model cost more...

On a model the size we're on about, one per side is fine - my dear old Four Star 40 flew fine with a servo on each kit aileron, and only a couple of rib bays out from the centre. The Four Star kit ailerons are hardly hi-tec - try 1/4" flat sheet balsa, without even a cross sectional taper. Putting the servo at the aileron centre is 'elegant' engineering, but not really essential.

My Four Star had 600W into a 15 x 10 prop - 7000RPM at flat out. Not lacking in forwards or upwards, it could do a knife edged loop, and never did those strip ailerons flutter or even mutter.

Barn door ailerons. Much better, in theory. More complicated in practice -which is, oddly enough, why you don't see them all that much nowadays. You have to figure the new size, adapt the wing structure, move the aileron servos out there, build in tubes for the long servo lead extensions. If, however, you want to add flaps, you'll end up with 'barn doors' anyway, so at that point, find a pencil, draw the needed structural changes all over the kit plan and off you go.

Basically - if you just want to go sports flying, build it simple, basic and strong. If you like tinkering and trying, add flaps, spoilers and whatever else comes to mind.

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck