HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Do you spend more time thinking about spending money, or making it ?.
I spend more time thinking about spending money. 3 16.67%
I spend more time thinking about making money. 3 16.67%
What money?....Obama will have us all broke. 12 66.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:51 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
Question
Do you spend more time thinking about spending money or making money ?

Stone Ax posted this comment about spending more time thinking about making more money Vs spending time looking for ways to save money:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Ax
I could care less if I got laid off tomorrow. I'll recoup my unemployment for a month or two and take a vacation and then choose between several job offers. I get laid off all the time, it's just how the economy works now. There is no such thing as job security anymore - no employer can afford any sort of loyalty. What you have to have now is skills security. If you have skills you can always find a job.

If you are concerned about a $200 discount on gravel you aren't applying yourself. Any time spent on worrying about discounts and clipping coupons is much better spent on figuring out how to make more money and on education.

I was thinking along similar lines recently.

I always seem to put more effort into thinking about spending money, than making money.

Not spending money in the sense of spending it as fast as possible, but more like spending it wisely.

If I buy something I'll try to either find the best bargain, or the best quality product in order to save me money. If I get into a hobby then that's more time thinking about spending money. I might do hours of research looking for either the best bargain or the best quality product for that hobby. The hobby isn't making me money, but just another means of spending money. It could be anything from RC, to cameras, to stereo equiptment, to bicycles, etc, etc...it's just more ways of spending money.

I've never put that much effort into lookng for ways to make more money, and therefore that's probably why I'm not rich. To me a job is a means to finance my hobbies and leisure activities.

For wealthy people making more money IS their hobby.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Last edited by Usta Bee; Nov 10, 2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:06 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
Another thing I was thinking about:

Money= Time

Any time you spend money you're actually spending the time that it took to create that money.

If you make $20/hr, and you bought something for $20 and it broke, you just didn't waste $20 of your money, but you wasted an hour's worth of your life that it took to buy that item. That's an hour you'll never get back.

Consequently if you were a blacksmith and you made horseshoes for a living, and you got paid only $10/hr at the job, and someone else you knew had a job making $20/hr at their job, it would behoove you to get a $20/hr job because it would save you an hour of your life that it would take to make the same amount of money.

By working in a low paying job you actually ARE wasting your time.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:12 AM
Joined May 2010
42 Posts
Just rember
my life time, is mine.n if you take what is not yours that is theft.
my life time is limited to (god discretion)
every seconed away from what I want to do is time working.
my life time.
tell me why is it ok to steel money from me to fund you pet projects on the lefts or right side?
Private Property its my life time.
QQuestor is offline Find More Posts by QQuestor
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:16 AM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
I've never carried any personal debt or mortgage (and I'm an old guy), and have earned all my money (no silver spoons).

Hand's down - I've always found that it's far easier to spend money faster than it is to make it.

That said, big purchases take longer to save for, therefore I am probably spending more time thinking (earning money) about future purchases.
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:20 AM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Tough poll. Do I answer that as a husband or myself. My wife and I have a 50/50 agreement on the check book. She gets the blue pages in the front; I get the white sheets in the back. Works!
56S is online now Find More Posts by 56S
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:15 AM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,528 Posts
I spend more time thinking about making money. I expect that, over the next 4 years at least, I'll have to increase my income in order to maintain my current standard of living.
LVsoaring is online now Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:23 AM
Joined May 2010
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVsoaring View Post
I spend more time thinking about making money. I expect that, over the next 4 years at least, I'll have to increase my income in order to maintain my current standard of living.
not likly unless you oun your oun buisness.
under the last 100 years worth of repub and demoncrats the more you make the more they steal.
QQuestor is offline Find More Posts by QQuestor
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:24 AM
Have Guitar Will Travel
The Digital Domain
Joined Nov 2008
1,367 Posts
I've spent a great deal of time wasting a great deal of someone else's money.
TravisBean is offline Find More Posts by TravisBean
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:27 PM
Disgruntled Member
United States, OK, Anadarko
Joined Aug 2003
1,628 Posts
Double edged sword here...

You gotta give to get...

I was making an investment based on the ability of it to make a return. A CNC/Couter/Mill/Drill/Lathe

I about 50/50 but the returns won't start until next year.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyCNC ProBoard...
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:43 PM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee View Post
you didn't just waste $20 of your money, but you wasted an hour's worth of your life that it took to buy that item. That's an hour you'll never get back.
Almost right. Yes, you 'wasted' an hour's worth of your life. But the value of that hour was stored in the $20 bill, so when you 'wasted' $20 you really just lost that hour.

Quote:
Consequently if you were a blacksmith and you made horseshoes for a living, and you got paid only $10/hr at the job, and someone else you knew had a job making $20/hr at their job, it would behoove you to get a $20/hr job because it would save you an hour of your life that it would take to make the same amount of money.
Good theory. However in practice once you get above a certain threshold, making more money often doesn't give you the time back. Instead you may simply spend more money, and then want even more. The result is that you keep working the same hours to support an ever more expensive (but not necessarily happier) lifestyle.

Then there's the question of what else that time on the job may be worth to you, apart from money. Unless you are a miser (ie. money itself is your only source of happiness) you want to enjoy your time at work. If the blacksmith gets some satisfaction out of making horseshoes, perhaps his time is worth more than just the money he gets for it.

OTOH, I know from experience that getting paid more money for a job you hate is not worth it. If you don't like your job and the only thing keeping you going is thinking about the money, perhaps you should think about changing jobs. Otherwise you really are wasting your life away.

Quote:
By working in a low paying job you actually ARE wasting your time.
I work in a hobby shop (a low paying job) and then I spend some of my 'free' time building and fixing models for other people. Am I wasting my time? Should I get a higher paying job doing something I don't enjoy? Will the extra money make up for the time I spend wishing I wasn't at work, and will the extra 'stuff' I can buy with it make me happier?
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:35 PM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,685 Posts
Time is money, money is time
Im on a fixed income and have been for 23 yrs. I have time to burn but little money. I spent my time learning skills with my hobby and now my hobbies dont cost me a dime. If I worked out how much my skills pay per/hr I would be lucky to be making 5 bucks. However, I used to spend about 30 a hr to enjoy my hobbies
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:35 PM
Seattle
Joined Mar 2003
850 Posts
Great thread! I don't have much to add at this point but I thank Usta for creating the thread and Stone Axe for the original post. I actually take some comfort in that post especially, and others in this thread too.

Wish there was more of these sorts of threads here instead of just the seemingly constant stream of politics and the bashing back and forth that goes with it.
cobalt is offline Find More Posts by cobalt
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:49 PM
Long time newbie
USA, TX, Katy
Joined Nov 2006
976 Posts
I think I spend more time thinking about not spending my money. Do I need cable TV, no. Do I need faster internet, no. Do I need a tablet PC, no. Etc. These are all wants that I've decided to do without.
heymak is online now Find More Posts by heymak
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:00 PM
Joined Oct 2010
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee View Post
I've never put that much effort into lookng for ways to make more money, and therefore that's probably why I'm not rich. To me a job is a means to finance my hobbies and leisure activities.

For wealthy people making more money IS their hobby.
There's a very weird irony that is in the process of unfolding.
On the one hand, today's so called rich is deemed to be those people in the $200K+ income range and the so called poor are those who make below $30K.

Watch carefully and I think we're are soon going to see a laughable scenario where, for purposes of people receiving entitlements so that they are locked into voting a straight Democrat ticket, the cutoff for being poor will end up being $60K or less.
Then on the other hand for purposes of Democrats getting more in taxes to fund their giveaways, the rich will be considered to be those making $50K or more.
Treeline is online now Find More Posts by Treeline
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:25 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,189 Posts
I spend a lot of time making money, but I don't really think about money very much at all.
I do my job, and money just seems to happen.

I don't think about spending and making money... for me, it seems like a curse. I am preoccupied with other things.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp