HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:59 AM
Joined Apr 2010
618 Posts
Discussion
Snap-flap mix choice

SNAP-FLAP Do You use it in all modes (launch-to lay down glider after launch, speed, camber) ?
What are You experience....

I use it only in Thermal -camber mode.
I think I will try SNAP-FLAP in launch mode too .......to "lay-down" sailplane more easyer for regular flight after launch.
thanks
boris
vigli is offline Find More Posts by vigli
Last edited by vigli; Nov 10, 2012 at 03:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:23 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Israel
Joined Nov 2006
835 Posts
I use it in all modes.
The biggest contribution to the setup is that less elevator is required for the same pitching affect.
roydor is online now Find More Posts by roydor
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:29 AM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,692 Posts
Launch mode for most people and most planes is (at least roughly) speed mode plus a bit of up elevator. Occasionally it also includes some rudder and/or some aileron input. I don't know what snap flap (really, elevator->camber mixing) does for you as there is no operator provided elevator input. At least, not intentionally... Launch mode handles the portion of the launch where the plane rotates from a somewhat horizontal trajectory to a substantially vertical trajectory.

When one moves the elevator stick, one is altering the angle of attack of the wing and altering its lift coefficient. The range of lift coefficient which is efficient for any given camber setting is not really all that wide. The purpose of the elevator to camber mix is to alter the camber of the wing to keep it more optimal for the lift coefficient requested by the operator through the elevator stick. It makes sense to have this mix for speed, cruise, and float modes.

I didn't say thermal mode - IMO thermal mode is whatever mode thermals best in each particular thermal. That might be float mode, it might be cruise mode, and very rarely it might even be speed mode.

Gerald
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:01 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Israel
Joined Nov 2006
835 Posts
G_T

By Launch mode I think he means the mode in which he does the push over at the end and not the launch preset to bring the nose up.
I also push at the top from the launch mode (similar to speed but with a different elevator trim) and change into whatever flight mode I want to be at next.
Launch preset doesn't have any need for elevator mixing as there is no hand on the stick to operate it anyhow (for righties).
The launch mode itself (in which the model zooms up most of the way) can use elevator to camber mixing if you don’t want to have to be accurate on the timing for switching to other flight modes to give you better push over.

Roy
roydor is online now Find More Posts by roydor