HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2003, 04:29 PM
Long to be flyin'
Wirral, (UK)
Joined Dec 2003
3,056 Posts
Site potential for DS

I am new to DS and am about to revisit some of my old sites to check them out for DS potential. The picture below shows two shots of a old haunt I am considering for DS. Which side do you think will work best or will both work to some degree? Its about a 40 mile drive so any advice would be great.

The coastal site is great for frontside but there is this rock with the lighthouse on that I have never considered, it might work for DS, I will post a bigger picture of the coastal site next.
Antonsoarer is offline Find More Posts by Antonsoarer
Last edited by Antonsoarer; Dec 08, 2003 at 04:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2003, 04:32 PM
Long to be flyin'
Wirral, (UK)
Joined Dec 2003
3,056 Posts
Potential coastal DS site?

This one is about 50 miles away. Photo is from the main cliff which works great in anything above about 8mph.
Old Dec 08, 2003, 04:48 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,925 Posts
They all look like they'd work, given the right wind direction. For the two bowls, you should be able to DS a pretty flat pattern behind the lip on the shallow side of the slope. The problem I've found trying to work a hill like that, the other way around, is that when the DS groove is bad, it's REALLY bad, and consists of nothing but down air, and then you risk getting trapped above a steep slope with nothing but rotor. Going the other way, the separation layer can be higher and further forward, and the DS loop nearly horizontal. At one spot I DS, the frontside is a cliff, and the backside about a 30 degree slope, and the separation boundary is nearly vertical. If I step 10 feet back from the edge, it's dead quiet.

As for the lighthouse. I'd think you'd have a problem with the wind direction, and landing. And is that a set of powerlines I see running down the the middle? That would complicate things a lot.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2003, 05:10 PM
Long to be flyin'
Wirral, (UK)
Joined Dec 2003
3,056 Posts
Daemon, thanks, yes they are power lines, not an ideal site so I wont bother trying any DS there, just stick with the usual frontside which is great.

As for the 'bowl-n- slope site I will probably give the shallow side a go with a foamy. I did try a bowl once at another site and my foamy just went down like a brick, long walk!